Suns vs Denver Thread

Mad Psyentist

Reaction score
Camby: Nuggets could handle Suns in playoffs

By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
March 27, 2006
Marcus Camby has a message for the Phoenix Suns: Just wait until the playoffs.

During the past two seasons, Camby's Denver Nuggets are 1-7 against the Suns, including 0-4 in Phoenix. The latest was a 107-96 road loss Saturday.

The teams could meet in the second round of the playoffs. If so, Camby insists Denver's recent struggles will have no bearing.

"They seem to have our number in the regular season, but playoff basketball is always different," Camby said.

"The intensity goes up and everybody pays attention to details a little more. I would expect things to be a whole lot different come playoff time."

Nuggets coach George Karl agrees.

"If we have the ability to win the first round, we're going to have the ability to change some things and do well in the second round," he said.

"Phoenix gives us problems, but that doesn't mean we can't (overcome them)."

Phoenix should be the No. 2 seed and Denver No. 3, which would mean a first-round date with No. 6. The Los Angeles Clippers and Memphis are battling for Nos. 5 and 6, with the Grizzlies having the more favorable remaining schedule.

EISLEY GRADED: Karl offered a grade for Howard Eisley's first week as backup point guard.

"I think Howard's a B," Karl said. "It seems like we lose some flow and lose some continuity (with Eisley).

"At times, we just don't get enough ball movement."

Eisley has averaged 4.3 points and 2.4 assists in 14.4 minutes in five games since replacing Earl Boykins, who broke his left hand March 15 and was ruled out for four to five weeks.

"I'm just trying to fit in," said Eisley, who joined Denver on March 3. "It's unfortunate that, at this time of the season, I don't really have many practice days left."

ETC.: Karl doesn't foresee having injured big man Nene for the playoffs. "Right now, I'd say I'm probably doubtful (about Nene returning)," Karl said. Nene, who suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the Nov. 1 opener, said earlier this month he doesn't plan to return this season. Athletic trainer Jim Gillen said there is a "possibility" of Nene returning to practice . . . The Nuggets didn't practice Sunday. Eduardo Najera, who has missed the past four games to rest a sore right knee, should do some work today and Tuesday. Gillen said he might play Wednesday against Utah . . . Karl wants to limit Kenyon Martin, bothered by a sore left knee, to 25 minutes a game down the stretch.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Clearly the problems the Nuggets have had with the Suns is grating on them. The fact that they can beat the Spurs but not the Suns (their only win against the Suns was in overtime and then just barely) has to be a huge concern for them. This sounds like the typical bravado from guys trying to hide their concern.

The Nuggets problem is simple. They are not really a great half court team and really want to run - but the Suns are a great running team.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I agree with the Nuggets: They could pose real problems for the Suns in the playoffs. The Suns have no answer for Anthony and are easily intimidated by physical play inside. If they hadn't shot the lights out in the fourth quarter, the outcome last game could have been quite a bit different. Phoenix is the better team and should win a seven-game series, but it won't be a cakewalk.

jibikao

Reaction score
Mad Psyentist said:
Camby: Nuggets could handle Suns in playoffs

By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
March 27, 2006
Marcus Camby has a message for the Phoenix Suns: Just wait until the playoffs.

During the past two seasons, Camby's Denver Nuggets are 1-7 against the Suns, including 0-4 in Phoenix. The latest was a 107-96 road loss Saturday.

The teams could meet in the second round of the playoffs. If so, Camby insists Denver's recent struggles will have no bearing.

"They seem to have our number in the regular season, but playoff basketball is always different," Camby said.

"The intensity goes up and everybody pays attention to details a little more. I would expect things to be a whole lot different come playoff time."

Nuggets coach George Karl agrees.

"If we have the ability to win the first round, we're going to have the ability to change some things and do well in the second round," he said.

Funny how everybody thinks their team can improve in the playoffs and how Suns is going to drop from the universe and let everybody win the game. I won't say it's an easy task but give me Denver in second round and we'll beat them and advance to WCF!