sunsfn 2/4/2005 report

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going on record right now as saying that I don't think Channing Frye is going to amount to much of anything in the NBA. If the Suns took him in the second half of the second round I wouldn't mind, but those players almost never contribute.

Joe Mama

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
asu fans :p j/k

I think Frye can be a player in the Joe Smith, Eddie Griffin, etc. type. At least that's what I think - if I didn't have so many Suns games to watch the next 2 days (Wolves and Knicks)... I'd tried to watch a Ike Diogu game. I just taped UNC game and noticed Jawad Williams averages 15 PTS - he too can play the 3/4 and is another 3PTer shooter (.429), 6'8-6'9, not great with the other stats but is a decent role player, I have him listed as a 3/4 that could fit with Suns but I didn't know he was scoring that well this year...

fordronken

Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
I think Frye can be a player in the Joe Smith, Eddie Griffin, etc. type.

So basically, they'll be complete busts for a few years and then go to a new team and be decent contributors of the bench?

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
fordronken said:
So basically, they'll be complete busts for a few years and then go to a new team and be decent contributors of the bench?

Frye IMO won't be a bust when he's Drafted where he will be - the other 2 were Lottery Picks (Joe Smith #1) and IMO both can contribute to their respective teams.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Evaluating a player has at least something to do with where he was drafted. Joe Smith was a #1 pick who never produced like more than mid first round pick. Griffin's on the court skills were totally overwhelmed by his off the court problems.

With Frye, I think he could be a backup center someday. I think he has more offensive tools than Voskuhl and can block shots. But he is not as athletically gifted as Hunter and lacks the stregth to make up for it. He might surprise, but no scouting service I've seen has him as first round pick.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Griffin is so much more talented than Channing Frye and isn't even funny. Unfortunately Griffin is/was a complete head case. Joe Smith is/was much more talented as well. Channing Frye might make an NBA roster, but I still don't believe you will ever be a key player. Of course I've been known to be completely wrong about draft prospects in the past. I was sure that Kwame Brown was going to be a great player. in the NFL I thought that Peyton Manning was not going to much of anything while Ryan Leaf was destined for greatness.

Joe Mama

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Salim Stoudamire intrigues me--not as a prospect for the Suns, of course. It's just that he's so similar to LSU's Chris Jackson (without Tourette's). It will be interesting to see what kind of impact Stoudamire has in today's NBA.

hmm, chris jackson was a MUCH more prolific scorer in college. he was a legit superstar. i don't see that in salim. he reminds me much more of eddie house.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
Ike Diogu impresses the more I see him, which means the 2 games against UofA (UofA fan, I don't watch too many asu games) - he struggled before with Channing Frye. I can check his stats out...

The area I worry about with him, is his shot - for a 6'8 PF that can shoot 3PTer, he might need to get the shot off faster? I actually liked the Mario Bennett Draft Pick at the time - other than the injuries, Bennett had talent... being a UofA fan wouldn't be much of a factor other than my ranking's. ;) Which change all the time BTW.

I do think Diogu might be the best so called undersized PF's, with Leon Powe and Wayne Simien being injured so much. Much like I mentioned Hakim Warrick for a possible Draft Pick - Diogu would most likely be there via Bulls Pick and I believe puts up the stats across the board.

man, it's really too bad about simien. that kid can play (when he's healthy). i'd to add a healthy version of him. he's 6'9 - 6'10 and can run.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
Channing Frye:

PTS 15.7 REB 7.5 AST 1.7 STL 1.0 BLK 1.7 FG .49 FT .83 3PT .20 FTM 4.0

IMO those aren't bad stats and there's not that many legit 6'10-6'11 PF's in Draft. Most are 6'9 and shorter = Warrick 6'9, Turiaf is 6'9, Simien is 6'9, Diogu 6'8, Gray 6'9, Augustine (maybe 6'10), Roberts 6'8, Palacios 6'9, P Davis (maybe 6'10), S Williams 6'9, Ford (maybe 6'10), May 6'9, Kleiza 6'8, Lee 6'9, E Williams 6'9, Freeman 6'9, C Smith 6'6... A Johnson and Francis have struggled and I just saw Pops for the first time at the end of game so. The top-tier = Taft, Boone, Splitter, etc. might not be available...

I'm not sure if he's my first choice but Frye matches the athleticsm of all these players along with his height and should be along the Prospects mentioned IMO.

i think turiaf is 6'10.

channing just ain't tough enough for my money. not as a legit big. i see him being more of a brian whatshisname (lakers, played at illinois - drawing blank). more of an outside shooting bigman, but w/o brian's range. just not the athleticism necessary. i mean, he averages 7.5 rebounds against much smaller competition on a team w/o a serious competitor for rebs. i mean, i like frye, but as a second round pick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
asu fans :p j/k

I think Frye can be a player in the Joe Smith, Eddie Griffin, etc. type. At least that's what I think - if I didn't have so many Suns games to watch the next 2 days (Wolves and Knicks)... I'd tried to watch a Ike Diogu game. I just taped UNC game and noticed Jawad Williams averages 15 PTS - he too can play the 3/4 and is another 3PTer shooter (.429), 6'8-6'9, not great with the other stats but is a decent role player, I have him listed as a 3/4 that could fit with Suns but I didn't know he was scoring that well this year...

joe smith and eddie griffin are VASTLY superior athletes to channing frye.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There seems to be a Pac Ten bias on alot these posts.

Slinslin does a good job of delinating talent because I think he is removed from a certain conference's influence. I am in Big 12 country and get a high dose, it affects my evaluation. But I am looking at Taj Gray and Joey Graham because they remind me of STAT and Matrix and they are good chemistry with their teams, not "me first" players.

Diener and JJ Redick are also on my list because they remind me of Nash.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually the best part of Pac Ten guys is that they don't get much publisicty and thus can fall in the draft. However, this past draft was not that great for the Pac 10 with both Luke Jackson and Josh Childress being fairly disappointing, so maybe the level of competition just isn't there.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
There seems to be a Pac Ten bias on alot these posts.

Slinslin does a good job of delinating talent because I think he is removed from a certain conference's influence. I am in Big 12 country and get a high dose, it affects my evaluation. But I am looking at Taj Gray and Joey Graham because they remind me of STAT and Matrix and they are good chemistry with their teams, not "me first" players.

Diener and JJ Redick are also on my list because they remind me of Nash.

It just got started because I threw out Frye's name when Diogu was getting a lot of attention... I do like Graham and Gray moves up my list higher than anybody else thus far. On my signature he is low sort of but I added him to like #4 on my Draftboard PF's. I like Hakim Warrick but he might be slight of build for a SF/PF on Suns team ;) , even though Hunter and Voskuhl are light on team (yes I know Barbosa as well)... Graham would fit right in IMO, I do think a SF that can play PF would fit well. I'm not sure Taj Gray can play Center and I'd think a 4 that can play 5 would fit (although with his defensive numbers, he isn't really that small). IMO Suns really can't go wrong depending on how many enter Draft - the Prospects look about equal in Talent from the top-tier on to 2nd Round in a way (outside of the PG's) IMO.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
It just got started because I threw out Frye's name when Diogu was getting a lot of attention... I do like Graham and Gray moves up my list higher than anybody else thus far. On my signature he is low sort of but I added him to like #4 on my Draftboard PF's. I like Hakim Warrick but he might be slight of build for a SF/PF on Suns team ;) , even though Hunter and Voskuhl are light on team (yes I know Barbosa as well)... Graham would fit right in IMO, I do think a SF that can play PF would fit well. I'm not sure Taj Gray can play Center and I'd think a 4 that can play 5 would fit (although with his defensive numbers, he isn't really that small). IMO Suns really can't go wrong depending on how many enter Draft - the Prospects look about equal in Talent from the top-tier on to 2nd Round in a way (outside of the PG's) IMO.

My Big 12 exposure has led me to see a lot of Stinson as well, I see you have him at the bottom of the first. He reminds me a lot of Gary Payton.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser