Reaction score
at least we made the top story on fox sports

NFL PREVIEWS: Arizona Cardinals
Print this story AIM this story Email this story
BY DAVID MOORE
Special to FOXSports.com
Aug. 13, 2003 3:16 p.m.

Arizona Cardinals
Champs or chumps: Do you really have to ask? Arizona has had a winning record just once in its 15 years in the desert. One also happens to be the number of playoff victories this franchise has savored in the last 55 years.

The owner (Bill Bidwill) is out of touch, the defense is undersized and the offense lacks skill players who can break open a game. Throw this team in the same division as St. Louis, San Francisco and Seattle, and the Cardinals don’t even register on the competitive radar. The only time Arizona counts itself among the top six or seven franchises in the league is on draft day.

Reasons for hope: Dave McGinnis. The head coach is arguably the only dynamic part of this organization. McGinnis is an open, engaging individual who is forceful with his team in private and supportive in public. The players respect his approach and respond; the problem is that Arizona doesn’t have enough good players for that response to wind up in the win column. It would be interesting to see what McGinnis could do with a talented roster. Since he doesn’t have one, he’ll simply have to continue to build and see if he can get the Cardinals in the neighborhood of .500.

Draft Kit Fantasy Source
A great season starts with a great draft. So download the best draft kit on the net. Order Now! The best season long information source on the net. Weekly projections, rankings and more. Order Now!

Don’t get too excited: The Cardinals don’t reap the benefits of a good secondary because their run defense stinks (No. 30) and they generate no pass rush. Defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch led the team in sacks last season with 3.5 -- that is not a misprint -- and the club total of 21 ranked last in the league. On the other side of the ball, Arizona doesn't capitalize on a good, young offensive line because it has no proven receivers -- the team let its top three wideouts leave in free agency -- allowing defenses to crowd the line and stop the run.

Hello, my name is: Quarterback Jeff Blake. Running back Emmitt Smith has received virtually all of the attention since the Cardinals lured him to the desert for one last run, but Blake is the off-season acquisition who will have the biggest say in whether or not the offense is successful. Blake isn’t as exciting to watch as Jake Plummer, but he isn’t as maddening, either. He won’t make as many mistakes as Plummer and he plays with a chip on his shoulder pads, believing he hasn’t gotten the credit he’s deserved in recent years. Blake, 32, isn’t the team’s quarterback of the future, but he’s not a bad alternative to have until that player shows his face.

Meet the 2003 Cardinals
Projected offensive lineup

WR Bryan Gilmore
LT L.J. Shelton
LG Pete Kendall
C Frank Garcia
RG Leonard Davis
RT Anthony Clement
TE Freddie Jones
WR Kevin Kasper
QB Jeff Blake
RB Emmitt Smith
FB James Hodgins

Projected defensive lineup
LE Fred Wakefield
LT Russell Davis
RT Wendell Bryant
RE Kyle Vanden Bosch
OLB Raynoch Thompson
ILB Ronald McKinnon
OLB Levar Fisher
CB Duane Starks
CB David Barnett
SS Adrian Wilson
FS Dexter Jackson

Projected special teams lineup
K Bill Gramatica
P Scott Player
KR Damien Anderson
PR Damien Anderson
LS Nathan Hodel

More on the Falcons

Cardinals team page
Roster | Depth chart
Schedule | NFL on FOX schedule
NFL fantasy news

Revolving door: It’s not unusual that a bad team allows veteran free agents to walk on both sides of the ball. It is unusual that a bad team has no problems with its best players leaving. Plummer and David Boston, one of the league’s top young receivers, were allowed to leave without the Cardinals getting anything in return. Safety Kwame Lassiter and receivers Frank Sanders and MarTay Jenkins also left for greener pastures. Blake takes over for Plummer. Jason McAddley, Bryan Gilmore, Kevin Kasper and first-round pick Bryant Johnson will try to compensate for what Arizona lost at receiver. Dexter Jackson, the Super Bowl MVP, steps in for Lassiter. Smith, meanwhile, was signed to give the franchise a jolt of credibility and lead this young, aimless team by example.

Ones to watch: There might be only one: Arizona at Dallas on Oct. 5. Smith’s return to Texas Stadium, especially after his comments about being a diamond surrounded by trash in his final year with the Cowboys, will stir emotions. Part of what has set Smith apart from his peers is an uncanny ability to come up big when the heat is on. It would be a surprise if he isn’t close to or breaks the 100-yard barrier in this game.

The forecast: The Cardinals will be competitive. That doesn’t mean they’ll be good. One of the league’s easiest schedules will prop Arizona up a bit, but this team still finishes in the basement of the NFC West. If five or six wins is all McGinnis can squeeze out of this talent-challenged team, he may not be around to suffer next season.

:mad:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Yea it dont sound that bad... Nothing we didnt know allready.

Although, we have improved, and with a better QB alone will get us at least 3 more wins. We were 5-11 last year, 3 more wins is 8-8.

I think 8-8 would be the least we can win. 9-7 is what I think we can get.

Although this is with out any major injuries...

If Blake goes down, we might win 3... :(

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by BEERZ
Yea it dont sound that bad... Nothing we didnt know allready.

Yeah. That's what I thought when I read the first post.

When the Cards start winning more games, we'll see more positive national coverage.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Originally posted by SeattleCardsFan
If Blake goes down, throw the season away. Josh McCown is no Marc Bulger.

:thumbup:
Let's hope that if Cade has another shaky outing Saturday the Cards will make a move for a servicable vet QB.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rivercard
make a move for a servicable vet QB.

Like who? Ray Lucas? Jeff George? I laugh at your feable attempts to humor me.

EDIT: I had to put in first names otherwise it looked too much like I was saying "George Lucas" or "Lucas, George.":mad:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SeattleCardsFan
If Blake goes down, throw the season away. Josh McCown is no Marc Bulger.

And if Marc Bulger was our number 2 or 3 last year, people would still think we didn't have an adequate back up.

We don't know if Josh McCown is no Marc Bulger (and I hope we don't find out).

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has no clue. He never even mentioned Boldin. I guess he is truely our secret weapon.:D

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
Like who? Ray Lucas? Jeff George? I laugh at your feable attempts to humor me.

EDIT: I had to put in first names otherwise it looked too much like I was saying "George Lucas" or "Lucas, George.":mad:

Yes, considering we have seen very little from McCown or Parsons to instill confidence that either will be succesful in a game situation, I believe either Mr. Lucas or Mr. George would be a nice pickup for the club. And if McCown comes on strong, demote the vet to #3. As noted before, we are the only team in the NFL to only carry 3 QB's in camp.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
And if Marc Bulger was our number 2 or 3 last year, people would still think we didn't have an adequate back up.

We don't know if Josh McCown is no Marc Bulger (and I hope we don't find out).

Marc Bulger is a rarity - a man bites dog story. Still, I would bet the coaches saw something in him that instilled confidence that he could win on Sundays. I hope that is what's happening here but we just haven't seen it and I don't recall anyone raving about our backup QB's in camp so far.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marc Bulger is a rarity - a man bites dog story. Still, I would bet the coaches saw something in him that instilled confidence that he could win on Sundays. I hope that is what's happening here but we just haven't seen it and I don't recall anyone raving about our backup QB's in camp so far.

He was a third stringer before injuries thrust him into the starting role - the coaches really had no choice but to use him.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Bulger's story isn't all that unique anymore. Brady and Warner both came up because of injury. So did Brooks.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
And Bulger's story isn't all that unique anymore. Brady and Warner both came up because of injury. So did Brooks.

True. But you can't just wave a magic wand and suddenly become a great QB. The coaches had to have seen something special in those guys before they got thrust into regular season action. I hope I'm wrong but I don't get the feeling anybody is feeling that confident with our #2 & #3 guys this year.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True. But you can't just wave a magic wand and suddenly become a great QB. The coaches had to have seen something special in those guys before they got thrust into regular season action. I hope I'm wrong but I don't get the feeling anybody is feeling that confident with our #2 & #3 guys this year.

But I still don't see that the coaches saw anything more special in Bulger, Brooks, or Warner than our coaches see in McCown. Warner or Bulger were not thought to see anywhere near the playing field during the regular season, but injuries forced them onto it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05