Tatum Bell

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tatum Bell with his speed is the type of back that Denny likes. But the question is would he be a good choice at #33 (in the 2nd round.) I doubt that he would be there in the 3rd round. I like him a lot and would love to see him in a Cardinal uniform.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editoria...412/1037302.asp

"A likely second-rounder is Oklahoma State's Tatum Bell, the most explosive back in the class. He can get outside and run away from defenses when he gets in the open field. At 5-11 and 212, he could use a little more strength. He gained 1,286 yards on 213 carries as a senior and showed better toughness in rushing inside. His ability to be durable in the NFL still is a concern. He ran a fleet 4.37 in the 40. Fumbles are a concern, too. He was benched for a short time because of them his senior year. "

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would be thrilled if the Cards were to land Bell in the 2nd, A Fitz and Bell first and second round picks would be great. But a CB at round 2 would be great as well. The only problem about having a draft like this would be, that the Cards ignored the Defense and that they completely screwed up there offseason and Draft last year BIG TIME!!!!(Which they did!!) It would leave the Cards with way too much investment at the RB position in my opinion. Shipp with his contract extension, Emmitt with his ridiculous signing and then the 1st player in the 2nd round all on one roster. But I believe Bell is the prototype RB that Green likes to use in his offense.
This just points out what a bad offseason the Cards had last year:

QB Blake (Cut)
RB E Smith (Role player that lost his starting Job)
DE C Pace(Lost job to Berry)
WR B Johnson(The Cards took two WR in the 1st and 2nd last year, Yet it is very likely the Cards are going to select a WR in the first this year, how pathetic!!!)

Way to go Graves :thumbup:

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sounds like at worse he could be a change of pace back if not a full time starter. #33 seems high for him. Maybe he lasts the 2nd round probably not :(

Oh to have 2 2nd round picks.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
I really like Tatum Bell, however there is still a chance he will be around in the third rd. He is projected 2-3rd round and since we have the top pick in the third there is a very good possibility that he lasts. It all depends on what happens with the other RB starved teams in Rd 1 and early rd 2

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
But I believe Bell is the prototype RB that Green likes to use in his offense.
This just points out what a bad offseason the Cards had last year:

QB Blake (Cut)
RB E Smith (Role player that lost his starting Job)
WR B Johnson(The Cards took two WR in the 1st and 2nd last year, Yet it is very likely the Cards are going to select a WR in the first this year, how pathetic!!!)

Anquan Boldin....
Dexter Jackson...
(arguably) James Hodgins...
Kenny King
Gerald Hayes

Looks much better when you look at the big picture. :wave:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:

Pace will be a solid starter on the left side.

Green uses a three receiver set on 70-80% of all plays, so you can justify taking another receiver in the first, but still the only reason this team is likely to take a WR in the 1st this year, is because one of the best WR draft prospect ever should be there at #3 and it woud be very hard to pass on talent like that. Fitz is #1 on the Green's board (speculation), because he's the best player, not because he's a WR.
Bryant Johnson played to the level that you can expect from a low 1st rounder and calling him a bust is plain stupid...

Oh, by the way. The War Room gives Bell a 5.9 rating, which equals a low 3rd rounder. If you're are going to reach for a RB, why not reach for Clarett (not a reach value-wise, by talent-wise) at #64?

Last edited:

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Because Clarrett is not a speed back.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Extremely fast, but lacks juke.

As such, the pick (if before midway in the 4th round) is risky - particularly for the Cards who have other roster holes to fill.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Personally, if we were to draft a running back I'm for clarret. I hate his off field issues, I hate his 'soft' look people are mentioning...but that dude played VERY VERY well when he did in college. I was salivating watching him play, and if we can get him in the 3rd round, possibly even 4th...i'd take him. I'd take him in the 3rd and consider him a better prospect then any of the ones rated ahead of him. People seem to forget that when he did play eons ago, that he was arguibly the best in the nation as a freshman.

A gamble, yes....but in the 3rd or 4th round (3rd most likely) he's the kind of medium risk.....VERY VERY high reward player any GM should dream of. It's like McGahee in the 3rd w/o the theisman type injury.

Personally if the off-field issues don't derail his career, nothing on the field will IMO. He has game speed like boldin, and after watching that slow poke wr by last year GM's and draftniks performed, I don't think we 'as enlightened fans' should say clarrett is necessarily a slow back.

Is he garrison hearst coming out, no, but I tend to believe going on memory when he has the rock in his hands, he gets downfield as fast as almost anyone. (just like de, you don't run 40 yd dashes as a running back, you run a sideways angle 3 yds, followed by a juke and five yards more downfield until you straighten it out...and that's going up the middle.....unless there is just one hell of a whole and no safety making you juke)

I think he's a stud, even though his head may be a dud. 3rd round is high for a gamble pick, but its a gamble worth taking.

As for rb's. Well shipp we invested 8 mill, 2 million a season I believe. That's a little expensive for a backup, and cheap as hell for a starter. He could be the guy or might not be. I think 2 million a season is right about what he's worth. (especially considering he'll be making 2 million in 2006 when teams will be paying the David Barret CB's fa of 2006 at least 1 million more per season than Barret himself got THIS year)

If he's our backup, I'd say we'd have one hell of a tandem. And at that price, it's NOT a bad problem to have, in my opinion its the PERFECT situation to be in. (that is if it plays out like this)

As for E.Smith, his contract is gone after next season, so in light of the cap space we had last year, and this year albeit smaller, he really didn't do anything to hurt us personnel wise via cap constraints. I doubt he will this year, and obviously next year he won't. The only thing that was hurt was bidwill's pockets, and possibly shipp's development.

Bryant Johnson had GREAT numbers for a rookie wr. We keep comparing him to boldin's record setting numbers and the fact he was drafted behind him and say 'b.j. sucks....or varying degrees of that'.

Well if we look overall, he was in the top 10% of rookie wr's in the history of the game (or thereabouts).

If we draft fitzgerald, I think he could put up numbers like boldin, but I'd say he'll put up numbers most likely like B.J. + possibly 10-20% more in rec and yds. Could he bust out yes, especially in greens downfield attack, but I sure hope that if we take fitzgerald and he ends up with 55-60 catches for 920 yds and 5 tds, we don't start saying 'waste of a pick', or 'good player, but not worth the #3'. Because the best of bryant johnson is yet to come.

I don't think drafting another wr is showing we made a mistake. Fitzgerald is too big of a stud to pass up...maybe eli....but I think fitz is just too good to pass up. Just because we need to take a person in another position ala Sam Bowie, doesn't mean we should pass on Jordan.

I'm going to use a D-back analogy. If we draft Fitzgerald, it means we have a wr corps like the d-backs had starting pitching staff.
We have Randy Johnson starter 1A in Boldin
We have Curt Schilling starter 1B in Fitzgerald
We would have Brandon Webb starter 3 (or really 2 anywhere else) in B. Johnson.

Personally I'd think we'd have a better wr ********* than ron jeremy in his prime. This once again is a GREAT problem to have.

Pace????????? Who knows, I still think we need to give at least this year, and maybe next before we say he is a complete bust...but it's looking more certain that he'll be a rotational guy the majority of his career. Does he have talent to make an impact on this team this year or down the road, hell yea. Will he be plagued by his draft position....well he already has, and will always, unless he leaves for somewhere else.

If he can get to being a consistently solid player for us for the next 6-7 years I won't consider him a bust, but definitely a reach. But in the end it isn't 'a reach' we should worry about, but how well our dl plays in years to come.

I think he has the potential to be productive for us, and to worry about being reached for will lead us to never appreciate what he brings, and at this point I don't know what that is. But the reach is in the past, and lets give him another year or two.