team colors.

poptart

Reaction score
is it a possibility that the Suns will change their colors to fit in with the rest of the Arizona/Phoenix teams?
i'm getting this idea because, in Pittsburgh, for example, all the teams (Pirates/Penguins/Steelers) use the same colors (black/yellow). and the Diamondbacks did just change to red/white (like the Cardinals/Coyotes).

thoughts?

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Geez, really, really hope not. Red is the new black (from the 90's).

The Dbacks look like the Astros and the Yote's look like the Red Winds, Hurricanes, etc. If the Suns went red they'd probably look like the heat. Purple was unique to Phoenix because of JC. Just like Kendrick, i wouldn't be surprised to see Sarver change the colors to wash the franchises hands of JC. Stooopid, IMO.

I've always thought a teams identity should reflect the community, but it todays sports market it's all about the $$.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The fact that the Suns have been here for so long, regardless of who owned them throughout the years should keep them from making such a drastic change like that.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns colors are associated with the AZ Sunset. I hate it when pro-teams change their colors.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Maybe they'll change if they start losing as much as those other teams.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think a drastic change is in the future. However, I could see Sarver changing the primary color to orange. Sarver has stated that the orange jersey is the highest selling jersey. The business man in Sarver won't ignore that. I expect the orange switch the next time the Suns update their uniforms.

Tom Leander has been prepping us with the Orange Crush nickname. We're no longer Al McCoy's Purple Gang from Phoenix.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I think it's dumb that Arizona teams are changing their colors to what the worst franchise in sports has than keeping it to what the best team in the state has....why change it to the Cardinals red and white?

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Have you seen the disaster that is the diamondbacks organization? The Bidwill's are their heros. Red is a perfect fit for the Dbacks.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I don't think a drastic change is in the future. However, I could see Sarver changing the primary color to orange. Sarver has stated that the orange jersey is the highest selling jersey. The business man in Sarver won't ignore that. I expect the orange switch the next time the Suns update their uniforms.

Tom Leander has been prepping us with the Orange Crush nickname. We're no longer Al McCoy's Purple Gang from Phoenix.

I doubt it, The Orange jersey are alternate jerseys, which likely sell better than normal jersey's everywhere. If Sarver was going to change the primary colors then he would do silver and black that seems to give middle aged men a total hard on.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I'd be super pissed if the Suns changed their colors....in fact I hate all the silver/grey crap thats currently on the uniforms. I wish the orange uni's had purple down the sides, and the purple unis had orange on the sides.

I do like how all of Pittsburgs teams match, but if AZ was going to do something like that, I'd rather see the rest of the pro teams change to purple. And have the Cardinals dump that lame moniker thats so associated with losing, besides, who's ever seen a Cardinal in the valley?

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I could see them going to more of the orange alternate jerseys as the "main" uniform before I'd ever see them going red.

Purple & Orange are the Suns. They wouldn't be the Suns without them.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
besides, who's ever seen a Cardinal in the valley?
Since you asked... Let me know if you need to see more ;)

Arizona Cardinals in purple and orange???? You gotta be kidding...

You must be registered for see images

Cardinal in Patagonia-Sonoita Creek, Arizona.
------------------------------------------------------------

You must be registered for see images

Northern Cardinals (from Arizona Highways)

The cardinal, probably the most recognized and popular bird in North America, is a year-round resident in the taller and denser desert brush of southern and central Arizona. It is named for the male cardinal’s resemblance to a Catholic cardinal’s crimson robe and peaked hat. The male is bright red with a black patch around its bill, while the female is a soft brown with red highlights. All cardinals have reddish-orange bills and crests. The cardinal is seed eater and is expanding its range in Arizona. The cardinal, along with several other songbirds, picks up ants and rubs them through its feathers, probably because of the chemical secretions produced by the ants. These chemicals may act as insecticides, fungicides or miticides to control bird pests. The male cardinal is strongly territorial and will not only attack other males of its own species, but also its own image reflected on automobile hubcaps and windows. Renowned as a songster, the cardinal is one of the few bird species that sings all year and has at least 28 different songs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

List of Arizona Birds (Wikipedia)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Arizona_birds
Cardinalidae - Cardinals, Grosbeaks, and Buntings

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You must be registered for see images attach

Nothern Cardinals (Nature Works)
http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/cardinal.htm

The northern cardinal can be found in most parts of United States east of the Rocky Mountains. It is also found in parts of Arizona, California and New Mexico. The range of the cardinal has increased in the last 50 years to include New York and New England. Changes in habits caused by humans have made more areas available to the cardinal and made it easier for it to survive in colder climates.
------------------------------------------------------

Pyrrhuloxia
Cardinalis sinuatus

http://birdfotos.com/birdfoto/pyrrhuloxia/pyrrhuloxia.htm

HooverDam

Reaction score
I said they should change the name as well (so there wouldn't be Cardinals wearing purple and orange). Its a stupid name, associated with nothing but losing football and it doesn't relate to the valley. While there may be a few Cardinals here or there in Arizona, they are certainly not prevalent, nor in any way do they "represent" Phoenix/Arizona/the southwest like the following: the sun, coyotes or diamondback rattlesnakes.

Hell if it wasn't already in use by the AFL team, I'd push for the Cardinals to become the Rattlers and adopt their colors, they look terrific in the copper and black (even though I generally think black is over done).

Furthermore, even though they are called the "Arizona" Cardinals, they play in the Valley- and according to your article and its map, those birds seem non native to the Valley. Ponderosa Pine trees exist in some parts of AZ, but we don't go naming teams in the Phoenix area after them now do we?

Estringonly

Reaction score

Lenader is horrible. Can we send him to the Grizzlies for Pau Gasol????

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I said they should change the name as well (so there wouldn't be Cardinals wearing purple and orange). Its a stupid name, associated with nothing but losing football and it doesn't relate to the valley. While there may be a few Cardinals here or there in Arizona, they are certainly not prevalent, nor in any way do they "represent" Phoenix/Arizona/the southwest like the following: the sun, coyotes or diamondback rattlesnakes.

Hell if it wasn't already in use by the AFL team, I'd push for the Cardinals to become the Rattlers and adopt their colors, they look terrific in the copper and black (even though I generally think black is over done).

Furthermore, even though they are called the "Arizona" Cardinals, they play in the Valley- and according to your article and its map, those birds seem non native to the Valley. Ponderosa Pine trees exist in some parts of AZ, but we don't go naming teams in the Phoenix area after them now do we?

Change the name to Phoenix. Arizona is not a synonym for The Valley.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score

Ummm... they are "Arizona" Cardinals, not "valley" or "Phoenix" Cardinals. Read the articles, they mentioned that certain breeds of Cardinals are prevalent in Arizona.

You should stick to basket ball and leave Cardinals alone... ;)

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
is it a possibility that the Suns will change their colors to fit in with the rest of the Arizona/Phoenix teams?
i'm getting this idea because, in Pittsburgh, for example, all the teams (Pirates/Penguins/Steelers) use the same colors (black/yellow). and the Diamondbacks did just change to red/white (like the Cardinals/Coyotes).

thoughts?

Better not...purple and orange are where it is at for Basketball. :)

Skumbag

Registered
Reaction score
They should be the Arizona DUI's or Phoenix Meth labs... that would be more fitting than the cardinals.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you seen the disaster that is the diamondbacks organization? The Bidwill's are their heros. Red is a perfect fit for the Dbacks.

The Diamondbacks mortgaged the future to win a championship, and did so.

I have been putting up with the Cards futility and the Suns medocrity for years. The Dbacks get another 5 years in my book, at least.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Moreover, does the name really have to reflect the area the team is in or is the name used to imply the characteristic of the team?

Are there really a lot of wizards casting spells in Washington? May be these should be called Washington Politicians.

Are there really a lot of bulls running around in Chicago?
Are there really a lot grizzlies found in Memphis? Maybe, I'm not familiar with Memphis area.
I don't think there are a lot of Lakes in Los Angeles. Are there?

The list can go on and on for all sports teams...

:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05