team colors.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Are there really a lot of bulls running around in Chicago?
Are there really a lot grizzlies found in Memphis? Maybe, I'm not familiar with Memphis area.
I don't think there are a lot of Lakes in Los Angeles. Are there?

The list can go on and on for all sports teams...

:)

The Bulls are named that I believe because their used to be tons of meatpacking plants in Chicago. The Wizards changed their name to be PC, and the Lakers and Grizzlies are both transplants that decided to change their name, so they don't particularly count.

No the name doesn't HAVE to reflect the area, I just prefer it, i.e. Suns, Steelers, Packers, Pacers, etc.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Washington changed their name because of the association of Bullets as an NBA team in an area that at one point led the nation in murders. The name was a contest with suggestions like Sea Dogs, Muckrakers, Carpetbaggers, Honey Pots ... I think Pollin picked Wizards because it was the least lame suggestion. They copied the Washington Capitals color scheme, though.

The Bulls were so named because of their first stadium's proximity to the Chicago stockyards. It's also a one syllable name, just like all the other names in Chicago. I guess it's hard to say something like "Super Sonics" with a mouth full of kilbasa.

The Grizzlies originated in Vancouver. The Lakers originated in Minnesota.

Some women was given season tickets and $1,000 cash in 1968 for naming the Suns. Some of those suggestions were outrageous, but probably not so much for the time. Can you imagine rooting for the Moondoggies?

AZZenny

Reaction score
May be different in basketball, but in baseball, my understanding is that all team and mlb licensed merchandise that's sold, the money goes to mlb and is redistributed across all teams. A team may get a relatively small benefit from any increase in sales of its particular gear. Or so I've been told by several people.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
Does anyone else think the Diamondbacks' new uniforms are 10,000 times better than the butt-ugly purple/teal monstrosities they wore before? I'm frankly very surprised that ANYONE would think the new ones are worse.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does anyone else think the Diamondbacks' new uniforms are 10,000 times better than the butt-ugly purple/teal monstrosities they wore before? I'm frankly very surprised that ANYONE would think the new ones are worse.

I'm with you Dave.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bulls were so named because of their first stadium's proximity to the Chicago stockyards. It's also a one syllable name, just like all the other names in Chicago. I guess it's hard to say something like "Super Sonics" with a mouth full of kilbasa.

White Sox/Blackhawks.. ;)

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it a possibility that the Suns will change their colors to fit in with the rest of the Arizona/Phoenix teams?
i'm getting this idea because, in Pittsburgh, for example, all the teams (Pirates/Penguins/Steelers) use the same colors (black/yellow). and the Diamondbacks did just change to red/white (like the Cardinals/Coyotes).

thoughts?

Hey, orange is close to red is it not???

HooverDam

Reaction score

I like the Dbacks old purple, but didnt care for the teal. I think Purple, copper and black would've been much nicer.

I really dislike most of the new unis, the black and red A looks stupid, as does the D w/ the soft edges. The only new uni I like for the Dbacks is the grey one that says "Arizona", all the others say "DBACKS" which seems pretty lame to me. Even on the "Arizona" jersey, I don't like the font, it looks like something a elementary school student would write w/ a squiggle pen.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05