Team covets guard-center cut by Cards

AzCards06

Rookie
Reaction score
I would have started Step at center this year, even if Kendall was still here. Pete Kendall is a guard. He was allowed to try center last year, to prolong his career.

Step was the center for a national championship team, he won it on the turf at Sun Devil Stadium. He learned the guard position last year, because the team needed him to cover for injuries. He trained his own successor at Ohio State last year.

Step and Leckey were the top two centers in the draft this year, both acomplished wrestlers, they are technique masters. They're young, and just what we needed around here. If Kendall wasn't so comfy with the media, it would have been clear to see that when a team drafts the top TWO centers in the draft, the incumbant should be very afraid for his job, especially since the rookies make peanuts in salary compared to a high priced free agent that can't finish a season, and has changed positions because he can't hang any more.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzCards06 said:
Step and Leckey were the top two centers in the draft this year, both acomplished wrestlers, they are technique masters.
Actually they were probably ranked two and three. Although it was a very weak year for Center this year.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A source familiar with Shelton thinks he weighs 343.521 pounds. Before he lost weight recently, he weighed more than that.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzCards06 said:
I would have started Step at center this year, even if Kendall was still here. Pete Kendall is a guard. He was allowed to try center last year, to prolong his career.

Step was the center for a national championship team, he won it on the turf at Sun Devil Stadium. He learned the guard position last year, because the team needed him to cover for injuries. He trained his own successor at Ohio State last year.

Step and Leckey were the top two centers in the draft this year, both acomplished wrestlers, they are technique masters. They're young, and just what we needed around here. If Kendall wasn't so comfy with the media, it would have been clear to see that when a team drafts the top TWO centers in the draft, the incumbant should be very afraid for his job, especially since the rookies make peanuts in salary compared to a high priced free agent that can't finish a season, and has changed positions because he can't hang any more.

Jake Grove was the near consensus top C, and living in the Bay area I've seen several comments about how he's coming along, everyone knew they picked him because of Robbins' erratic behavior and his illness. Grove was essentially handed the starting job and reports are that he's making progress but that he (like Faine last year) is still very much in the thinking not playing mode which is so common for rookies.

I do agree with K9 about sum being better than parts, hell we all just got a great example of that with Italy beating a team of NBA players by 17 points in basketball today. But given that Kendall started 12 games at C last year and is a seasoned veteran, I just have a hard time buying into the thinking that releasing him is going to HELP chemistry.

Green cut the guy because he felt challenged by him, felt Pete was involved if not behind turning him into the NFLPA, and felt cutting Pete would create fear(like Madcard said). I think we need to remember Green keeps saying his goal is to get better at every position.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
utter nonsense.

Well, you'd better straighten out Jurecki then when you see him up there. That is exactly what he said today during "The Cooler" segment of the program. A caller asked how Shelton looked and that is what prompted the statement.

spanky1

Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
Actually they were probably ranked two and three. Although it was a very weak year for Center this year.

Correct......Jake Grove was the #1 Center (according to TSN) but not a unanomous #1 by any stretch of the imagination. Stephanovich is the more "decorated" award wise. Yes it was a poor Center draft class, but for one or two, the same can be said every year.

One should not be fooled by his 4th round status. He was clearly being touted as a starting center within a few years. That he gets his baptisim in year one is admittedly a tad early but if Wylie is all that he is supposed to be, who is too say that this path cannot be accelerated.

And has been said already, Center is a position of relative depth (Garcia, Grace). It's not as though Kendall was a fixture at Center and irreplaceable. Let's move on

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Green cut the guy because he felt challenged by him, felt Pete was involved if not behind turning him into the NFLPA, and felt cutting Pete would create fear(like Madcard said). I think we need to remember Green keeps saying his goal is to get better at every position.

And this is why I dont mind the release of Kendall. If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem.

The only problem I have with it is the timing. If he did it 2 weeks ago the media and some fans wouldnt be in such a frenzy over it. But becuase it was 1 day before training camp it looks like revenge to outside people. It is all about perception and becuase of the way it was done it is perceived to be revenge and not football related. Even though I think it was 75% football related and and 25% revenge. Becuase remember when we cut the 3 guys a while back, green said it was so that the younger guys could get more reps. I think that has something to do with it here as well.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
And this is why I dont mind the release of Kendall. If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem.

The only problem I have with it is the timing. If he did it 2 weeks ago the media and some fans wouldnt be in such a frenzy over it. But becuase it was 1 day before training camp it looks like revenge to outside people. It is all about perception and becuase of the way it was done it is perceived to be revenge and not football related. Even though I think it was 75% football related and and 25% revenge. Becuase remember when we cut the 3 guys a while back, green said it was so that the younger guys could get more reps. I think that has something to do with it here as well.
Green waited for this exact time to release Kendall. He did it on purpose. It made the release much more dramatic and set the tone for training camp.

AzCards06

Rookie
Reaction score
Step and Leckey were drafted before the NFLPA complaint even happened.

Denny saw the need to replace Kendall before the draft.

Neither Stepanovich or Leckey were able to attend the mini camps because they were still in college.

Kendall was let go within days of Step and Leckey signing contacts with us.

Cut to the chase ...Kendall was gonna be gone no matter what. He was let go at an opportune time, that maximized the effect on the rest of the players. Now Step KNOWS he's the guy, will get ALL the reps, and his indoctrination to the NFL has been accelerated.

Good job Denny.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
A source familiar with Shelton thinks he weighs 343.521 pounds. Before he lost weight recently, he weighed more than that.
The source now says that he never told the media Shelton weighed 343.521 pounds.

Shuesters2

Wind Breaker
Reaction score
AzCards06 said:
Step and Leckey were drafted before the NFLPA complaint even happened.

Denny saw the need to replace Kendall before the draft.

Neither Stepanovich or Leckey were able to attend the mini camps because they were still in college.

Kendall was let go within days of Step and Leckey signing contacts with us.

Cut to the chase ...Kendall was gonna be gone no matter what. He was let go at an opportune time, that maximized the effect on the rest of the players. Now Step KNOWS he's the guy, will get ALL the reps, and his indoctrination to the NFL has been accelerated.

Good job Denny.

Concur! It appears Denny targeted PK a long time ago. Most wondered why we drafted a center instead of CB Poole in the 4th round when we needed DB's so badly. (And Leckey later.) It wasn't a "best player available" issue, Green had Kendall targeted to go back then.

Personally, I think PK can still play... but he isn't getting better, or any younger. DG is known for great anticipation on player personnel decisions. I think we need to respect his record on this.

Shuesters

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05