Team NEEDS

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
Hie Everyone,

We’re currently trying to compile our Team Needs section over at NFLRoughDraft.com. It’s our opinion that the best place to compile in-depth information on the Bears is the home of their die-hard fans.

If you guys could post a couple of thoughts on your team’s biggest draft needs, we would appreciate it. We can also be reached at [email protected]. Thank you for your time!

One other question....You guys run a 3-4 base defense, correct?

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hie Everyone,

We’re currently trying to compile our Team Needs section over at NFLRoughDraft.com. It’s our opinion that the best place to compile in-depth information on the Bears is the home of their die-hard fans.

If you guys could post a couple of thoughts on your team’s biggest draft needs, we would appreciate it. We can also be reached at [email protected]. Thank you for your time!

:confused:

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is a Cardinals board, but we're with you, brother.

We run a hybrid, one-gap 3-4 "base" defense, but one of the hallmarks of DC Clancy Pendergast's scheme is the unpredictability of the lineups.

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
LOL...oops, sorry about that guys, I've been trying to compile this information for a bunch of different teams...as you can see. Thank you for the help though.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Yes - we run a 3-4 and the transition will be even more pronounced this next year with more of the coaches personnel choices coming in FA and the draft. Our needs (In my humble opinion) our prioritized like this.

CB
RB (to back up Edge and/or take over for him)
Pass Rusher (Via DE or OLB)
O-line Depth (T or G)
#3 WR
FS
Kicker

Am I missing anything?

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
This is a Cardinals board, but we're with you, brother.

We run a hybrid, one-gap 3-4 "base" defense, but one of the hallmarks of DC Clancy Pendergast's scheme is the unpredictability of the lineups.

So drafting DE is a need, but which type of DE would they be looking for? A 3-4 DE, or a 4-3 "tweener" type that can also play OLB?

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
Yes - we run a 3-4 and the transition will be even more pronounced this next year with more of the coaches personnel choices coming in FA and the draft. Our needs (In my humble opinion) our prioritized like this.

CB
O-line Depth (T or G)
#3 WR
FS
Kicker

Am I missing anything?

The two I'm confused on are FS and kicker. Isn't Rolle moving to FS....and what's the deal with Rackers?

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score

CB
O-line Depth (T or G)
#3 WR
FS
Kicker

Am I missing anything?

By the way, your post has helped tremendously, THANK YOU!

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
So drafting DE is a need, but which type of DE would they be looking for? A 3-4 DE, or a 4-3 "tweener" type that can also play OLB?

Traditional DE would be the preference. Sure we lost Pace but we effectively replaced him with Laboy and I hear we are still in the running for Laboy. I think we have a total of 4 DL signed and Dockett may be well playing out of position there (although based on his production I dont think so) so another DE could be used. Smith is good but another 3-4 DE in the rotation/starter would be make our team better.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

We lost 2 Rush LBs in free agency in Calvin Pace and Daryl Blackstock. But we signed one in Travis LaBoy (Titans) and got one back from injury in Chike Okeafor. Depth at the OLB/rush end position is still an area of interest, but not in comparison to 3-4 DE.

Right now, the Cards only have Pro Bowl DT Darnell Dockett and Restricted Free Agent Antonio Smith to play defensive end. By draft day, they'll likely have re-signed free agent DE Rodney Bailey, but he's only an option of last resort. 3-4 DE is a priority draft position, and hopefully will be addressed in the first three rounds.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
The two I'm confused on are FS and kicker. Isn't Rolle moving to FS....and what's the deal with Rackers?

For the first time in years I would say we are going into a draft not NEEDING a starter at any position. Sure I think we would all love to have a #1 corner but I dont think its catastrophic if we don't get one as Green and Hood played well for the most part last year. It would be better if we could bump them all down.

As for FS. Right now we have a guy who is learning the positon (Rolle) and a practice squad player (Francisco). You can never have enough playmakers in the secondary and it would be nice (but not mandatory) to have another option.

As for kicker - I think almost every fan on this board thinks Rackers is a headcase and feels we would be better off without him. Now if that is actually a the case I don't know.....

Last edited:

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Why can I only access this thread by clicking on it in the forum index? But if I actually go to the Cards forum it's not there?

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Rackers has missed 5 or 6 game-winning or -tying kicks in the past couple seasons. Many fans would love to see him replaced. The coaching staff seems to be standing by him... for now.

Rolle is a total unknown at free safety. He'll be competing with Aaron Francisco for a starting job. It's a low-priority need, but I think the Cards would be well-advised to add a more traditional FS to that position.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Rackers has missed 5 or 6 game-winning or -tying kicks in the past couple seasons. Many fans would love to see him replaced. The coaching staff seems to be standing by him... for now.

Rolle is a total unknown at free safety. He'll be competing with Aaron Francisco for a starting job. It's a low-priority need, but I think the Cards would be well-advised to add a more traditional FS to that position.

Apparently we are on the same page;)

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Apparently we are on the same page;)

:thumbup:

For the most part, I think we all are. I would tweak your list a little bit:

DE/DT
CB
RB
OL
OLB/DE
P
FS
K

I think that depth at DT is priority (since we have 3 OLBs, but only 2 DEs), but we won't address it in the first round because the prospects aren't there. I think that Corner is a higher priority for the same reason (one twisted ankle away from Michael Adams, Starting Cornerback), but I'm not sure that the prospects are going to be there in the first, either.

Don't forget punter. Doug Johnson was out of the NFL.

I think that this is the first time in a while when we're at least going into the draft knowing that we don't absolutely have to plug a gaping hole on the roster. Skkorp may not believe in BPA, but I think that this is a situation where if a player became available at 16 overall, the Cards could take anyone.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
#1: I think CB is our greatest area of need.

#2: O-line help. I wouldn't mind an early starter and a later depth guy. Guard or tackle

#3: A 3-4 DE is a need.

#4: A speed #3 WR would be fantastic, but not quite a 'need'.

#5: A punter/holder

#6: A back up running back with upside

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Hie Everyone,

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Sincerely,

Bill Belichick

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
#1: I think CB is our greatest area of need.

#2: O-line help. I wouldn't mind an early starter and a later depth guy. Guard or tackle

#3: A 3-4 DE is a need.

#4: A speed #3 WR would be fantastic, but not quite a 'need'.

#5: A punter/holder

#6: A back up running back with upside

Let me see if I can fill these:

1. Draft Rogers-Cromartie (1) and sign Fernando Bryant to compete with him for starting spot, Green can back up Hood.

2. Draft Sam Baker (2)

3. Sign either Marques Douglas or Darrion Scott & OLB Clark Haggans

4. Draft Eddie Royal (4)

5. Draft Durant Brooks (5)

6. Draft Ray Rice (3)

7. Draft a QB (Alex Brink) (6) & an OL (King Dunlap) (7)

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That sounds very proactive of us.

Let me see if I can fill these:

1. Draft Rogers-Cromartie (1) and sign Fernando Bryant to compete with him for starting spot, Green can back up Hood.

2. Draft Sam Baker (2)

3. Sign either Marques Douglas or Darrion Scott & OLB Clark Haggans

4. Draft Eddie Royal (4)

5. Draft Durant Brooks (5)

6. Draft Ray Rice (3)

7. Draft a QB (Alex Brink) (6) & an OL (King Dunlap) (7)

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
.Originally Posted by NFLRoughDraft
Hie Everyone,

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Sincerely,

Bill Belichick

:biglaugh:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Cards' primary need is at corner, but God forbid they take one early in the draft. The need a DE/OLB, primarily as a pass rusher. Preferably that would be one guy who could play in either stance. They need a running back and could take one in round one if Mendenhall slides (but I can't see that happening). They need O-line depth, but their spot in the draft makes that an unlikely position to address early. They won't draft a kicker, but could bring one to camp to push Rackers. Rackers will be staying. They need a speed receiver and will likely take one early enough to get someone who can play a little next season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05