Team USA 22 Announced

fordronken

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2349009

Bryant, James, Wade among those on U.S. roster
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN Insider
click this

Josh Howard, Luke Ridnour, Shane Battier, Rashard Lewis and Brad Miller are among those going to training camp with Team USA. Lamar Odom and Allen Iverson are not.

ESPN.com has learned the identities of the 22 NBA players on the preliminary roster for the U.S. national team, whose director, Jerry Colangelo, will make the news public Sunday.

The list includes All-Stars Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Gilbert Arenas, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Chauncey Billups and Paul Pierce, but it does not include two players -- Iverson and Odom -- who were members of the 2004 U.S. Olympic team and had expressed strong interest in playing again for USA Basketball.

Among those who declined to play were Kevin Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal, Vince Carter, Ray Allen, Jason Kidd, Tracy McGrady, Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince.

Colangelo has not revealed all the players he has invited, but sources around the NBA helped ESPN.com compile the following list of players who have been asked to report to training camp in Las Vegas in mid-July, and who are expected to attend.

The entire roster includes Carmelo Anthony, Arenas, Battier, Billups, Bosh, Bruce Bowen, Elton Brand, Bryant, Dwight Howard, Josh Howard, James, Antawn Jamison, Joe Johnson, Rashard Lewis, Shawn Marion, Brad Miller, Chris Paul, Pierce, Redd, Ridnour, Amare Stoudemire and Wade.

In addition, Shaquille O'Neal has a standing invitation to join.

Three young players will be added to bring the training camp roster up to 25, with Gonzaga's Adam Morrison, Duke's J.J. Redick and Indianapolis high school star Greg Oden currently the leading candidates to get those spots.

The list of invitees includes seven of the NBA's eight leading scorers (Iverson is the exception) and two of the top three rebounders (the exception is Ben Wallace, who was interviewed by Colangelo but did not want to play.)

Billups will attend training camp but is not expected to compete at the 2006 World Championship in Japan because his wife, Piper, is due to give birth to their third child in late July or early August. Also, Redd is not expected to play in Japan, either, because of his wedding plans.

The Americans plan to take 15 players to Japan (including three who would be inactive for the Worlds). By removing Redick, Morrison, Oden, Billups and Redd from the equation, there would be 20 players vying for 12 active roster spots.

Taking an educated guess, Bryant, James, Wade, Bosh and Marion would seem to be virtual locks for Japan, along with Miller (the only true center) and Arenas and Paul (the top two point guards). Brand and Dwight Howard would seem to have the edge for spots 9-10 because of the team's need for size (we're keeping Stoudemire out of that group because he is recovering from knee surgery), which would leave Pierce, Anthony, Battier, Bowen, Josh Howard, Jamison, Johnson, Lewis and Ridnour competing for the final two spots on the active roster. Colangelo has said he would like to include at least one defense-minded role player on the active roster, and it would appear Bowen, Josh Howard and Battier will vie for that role.

Those players who do not go to Japan will remain on the larger national team roster through the 2008 Olympics. If the U.S. team does not win the World Championship, the team will regroup in 2007 for an Olympic qualifying tournament in the Americas zone.

The U.S. team will be coached by Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, who will be assisted by Phoenix Suns head coach Mike D'Antoni, the Portland Trail Blazers' Nate McMillan and Jim Boeheim of Syracuse University.

The World Championship begins Aug. 19, with the Americans in a preliminary round group in Sapporo, Japan, that includes China, Slovenia, Puerto Rico, Italy and Senegal. The U.S. team is planning a pre-tournament trip to South Korea and China to play exhibition games.

Training camp is scheduled to take place July 18-25 before the team takes a five-day break. It will then reconvene for an exhibition game in Las Vegas, likely against Puerto Rico, before the team plane leaves for China on Aug. 4 with 15 players aboard.

NBA players on Team USA's training camp roster
Carmelo Anthony, Denver
Gilbert Arenas, Washington
Shane Battier, Memphis
Chauncey Billups, Detroit
Chris Bosh, Toronto
Bruce Bowen, San Antonio
Elton Brand, L.A. Clippers
Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers
Dwight Howard, Orlando
Josh Howard, Dallas
LeBron James, Cleveland
Antawn Jamison, Washington
Joe Johnson, Atlanta
Rashard Lewis, Seattle
Shawn Marion, Phoenix
Brad Miller, Sacramento
Chris Paul, NO/Okla. City
Paul Pierce, Boston
Michael Redd, Milwaukee
Luke Ridnour, Seattle
Amare Stoudemire, Phoenix
Dwyane Wade, Miami

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Joe Johnson!

Damnit, and I really wanted to root for Team USA. ;)

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Holy crap is that a good team. That's the best we've had since the Dream Team. They should tear it up on the world. We'll probably not see the same victory margins as the first couple of NBA/Olympic squads, but it should be a ton of fun to watch.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Should be a good team (ie: gold medal), provided the chemistry of the team is there (which i think it will be considering the coaching staff).

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would pay a lot of money to see Chris Paul, Dwayne Wade, LeBron James, Shawn Marion and Chris Bosh on the floor at the same time. We wouldn't know if it was basketball or relay sprints.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
I would pay a lot of money to see Chris Paul, Dwayne Wade, LeBron James, Shawn Marion and Chris Bosh on the floor at the same time. We wouldn't know if it was basketball or relay sprints.

id pay a lot more to see amare instead of bosh.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Here's how I see the WC team shaping up:

Billups
Kobe
LeBron
Bosh
Brand

Chris Paul (or Arenas)
Wade
Joe Johnson
Marion
Dwight Howard

Which leaves two spaces, with the likely candidates being Paul/Arenas, Brad Miller, Battier, Rashard Lewis, and Michael Redd. Oh yeah, and Carmelo Anthony. :lol:

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Thing I like about this time is they have filled the lack of shooters void....which will be far better this time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a very talented and versatile roster with plenty of shooters. There does appear many more (shall I say swing players than bigs) but as D'Antonni has proven, international style play is all about team play, ball movement and getting the ball to the open shooter.

I like the addition of Elton Brand, Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard, Brad Miller and what's not to like about Amare.

However, I would just as soon keep Amare home just to keep him fresh for the Suns. I know I'm being selfish. Amare is perfect for international play. I guess it's just me being overly protective.

:bang:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Absolute garbage that Allen Iverson is not included. Here is a man, that WANTS to give up his summers for Team USA, and he can't get an invite. I'm furious, and it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm a Sixers or Iverson fan. I'd feel the same if it was Duncan, as he and A.I. were the only 2 to give a damn last Olympics. :mad:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I actually thought Shawn Marion was probably the best player. Anyway Iverson is not a good player to have on that kind of a team, I like him but I am glad he isn't on the team.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
slinslin said:
I actually thought Shawn Marion was probably the best player. Anyway Iverson is not a good player to have on that kind of a team, I like him but I am glad he isn't on the team.

slinslin, are you kiddding me. Iverson was the best player on that team in the Olympics. He gave his all, and this is what he gets?? Say what you want about his game in the NBA, but he understood what it meant to represent the US and played like it.

jibikao

Reaction score
I think the list is very versatile. It seems to focus on a lot of weakness that we had in last Olympic games.

For one, we have more versatile shooters now who should not be shut down by international zone play: Ray Allen, Michael Redd, Rashard Lewis and even Billups are very good shooters.

This is a very good list IMO. Even Bruce Bowen will be great to shut down Manu in case we face his team again. lol I hope their friendship doesn't break up after the game.

It's sad that AI didn't make it because I think he wants to so bad... ouch, that's embarrasing. However, I would rather add more pure shooters and defensive players than him. We already have Kobe, Lebron, Melo and Wade. I think that's enough shooting guards/forward.

As for centers, I think Amare and Dwight Howard will be versatile enough. I know Amare can hit outside shots now so he won't get shut down as easily.

Let's grab the metal.

OP
OP
F

fordronken

Reaction score
Here's My Roster:

Starters:

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Chris Bosh
Brad Miller

Bench:

Shawn Marion
Dwyane Wade
Michael Redd
Josh Howard
Elton Brand
Luke Ridnour
Dwight Howard

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I agree with phillycard. Iverson showed enough last time to have earned a spot again. Even though his game isn't well suited to international style, his heart and pride should have trumped that concern.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At some point the selection process should be about whether the guy is suited to what the team needs. AI isn't.

Europeant basketball requires guys who are dead on catch and shoot players who are team oriented. The international rules permit zones which take away the power of the dribble penitration.

So while I love AI's enthusiasm, he's really not a a good fit.

jibikao

Reaction score
elindholm said:
I agree with phillycard. Iverson showed enough last time to have earned a spot again. Even though his game isn't well suited to international style, his heart and pride should have trumped that concern.

Apparently a lot of forums are trashing about it... well, there's only so many spots. I mean the addition of Kobe means we may need less of AI. AI had his chance and we need more great shooters and I don't think AI is one of them.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
At some point the selection process should be about whether the guy is suited to what the team needs. AI isn't.

You're considering only his basketball game. These Dream Teams always face the challenge of whether they're going to care about the outcome. The roster doesn't have a lot of passion on it, and I think that's a concern.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:

You're considering only his basketball game. These Dream Teams always face the challenge of whether they're going to care about the outcome. The roster doesn't have a lot of passion on it, and I think that's a concern.

Amare is on the squad. I think he'll bring a huge bunch of passion, since that's the only way he knows how to play.

jibikao

Reaction score
elindholm said:

I've always thought the not-so-popular players usually bring more passion into important games. I mean they have more reason to prove why they deserve to be selected over AI?

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:

Europeant basketball requires guys who are dead on catch and shoot players who are team oriented. The international rules permit zones which take away the power of the dribble penitration.

So while I love AI's enthusiasm, he's really not a a good fit.

And LeBron, Kobe, and McGrady who turned them down I might add are?? Iverson may be a one man show for the Sixers, but he proved he can play team ball when he has to. This doesn't sit well with me, I'm sorry. And as elindholm mentioned a lot of why we get our behinds whipped hasd nothing to do with the type of player we've previously invited. A committment has to be in place to win, and AI made one wholeheartedly. A guy you think would rather lounge around driving one of his 6 Bentleys is instead working and giving up his summers for the honor of repping this country and winning a gold medal.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Amare is on the squad. I think he'll bring a huge bunch of passion, since that's the only way he knows how to play.

If he plays. Many writers are leaving him out of the rotation, figuring that his injury is likely to require more rest than a full summer schedule would allow.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can emphatically state that our pg should be ridnour. His pass first attitude is great. I do liken him to a young steve nash, and by 2008 he should definitely be more seasoned and better than he is now. I'd start him right now if the olympics were tomorrow. But by 2008 oh yeah. It was so foolish of brown not to play amare that much. Whenever he did play he tore it up. I was like he plays 3 minutes and does the same as the guy you put back in for 10 minutes. Marion was a beast too.

I agree its a slant on A.I., he's given alot to the dream teams, and wanted to go again. That shoot first attitude of his might have been what kept him off, but I still can't believe he isn't going to be on there. You still have to put him on the team, even if you don't play him much. If you need a scoring punch, or the team looks a little slow or tenative, put him in. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets in as you know 2-4 players will bow out due to injuries or other. They made a committment but no matter what 2-4 players out of that 25 won't be able to go in 2008 (and of course some of those 2-4 might be cuts)

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
elindholm said:

If he plays. Many writers are leaving him out of the rotation, figuring that his injury is likely to require more rest than a full summer schedule would allow.

I dont think he'll play this summer, but he'll be in Bejing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky