Telfair on Suns dysfunction.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have to agree with you here, JCSunsfan. They're going nowhere this year so might as well evaluate players and get a higher pick at the same time. That's a-tanking.

When you're sitting Shannon Brown and playing Wesley Johnson, that's a tanking.

When you're dealing Bassy Telfair and you're signing another brother, that's a tanking.

Well, the Suns were evaluating Wes Johnson last night and it cost the Suns a loss. He played well. Sometimes so called "tanking" provides unexpected results. I'm now thinking Johnson might be worth keeping but Beasley should go. Too bad the Suns have money tied up in the latter. Also Shannon brown would be better off moving on.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, the Suns were evaluating Wes Johnson last night and it cost the Suns a loss. He played well. Sometimes so called "tanking" provides unexpected results. I'm now thinking Johnson might be worth keeping but Beasley should go. Too bad the Suns have money tied up in the latter. Also Shannon brown would be better off moving on.

That's true. You can't lose em all. I was at the game. Dished out for 9 tickets. So feel sorry for me.

Johnson looked good, but its a little late in the season to be getting a good look. He did look good against the starters for Minny. However, he was playing D on Berea when he sort of took over. Yet, he had alot of deflections and rebounds. He has a sweet looking jumper.

They did switch Tucker onto Berea and he didn't do much better.

Beasley made a few good passes early but for the most part was a black hole. He looks like he is playing a pick up game where no one is keeping score.

Gortat wants to win. He is still getting angry at calls and frustrated with mistakes.

ONeal seems to want to play well, but I am not sure about wanting to win, if that makes sense.

OP
OP
Neo

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
. But at least Wes is young and still has a chance to be retained. Brown is as good as gone.
Brown is still under contract for another year, while Johnson's contract is expiring. So, Brown will be around unless we find someone who needs a black-hole 2 guard.

I suppose you are right that Wes has a chance to be retained, because if we offer him a contract, I can't see anyone outbidding us. Last night he played well, but he has poor ball handling and has shown very little motivation over the last 2 and a half years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's true. You can't lose em all. I was at the game. Dished out for 9 tickets. So feel sorry for me.

Johnson looked good, but its a little late in the season to be getting a good look. He did look good against the starters for Minny. However, he was playing D on Berea when he sort of took over. Yet, he had alot of deflections and rebounds. He has a sweet looking jumper.

They did switch Tucker onto Berea and he didn't do much better.

Beasley made a few good passes early but for the most part was a black hole. He looks like he is playing a pick up game where no one is keeping score.

Gortat wants to win. He is still getting angry at calls and frustrated with mistakes.

ONeal seems to want to play well, but I am not sure about wanting to win, if that makes sense.

Congratulations for dishing out for 9 tickets. You definitely have my respect for doing so.

Barea is a nice little guard. He would have done a better job in this game than Rubio. IMO, he was a big loss for Dallas when he played there. He is very clever player and a winner.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I agree with Chap. I actually like Telfair a lot, but the Suns wasted a lottery pick on Marshall, so it makes sense to give him some playing time and see if that pick was a waste or if he has what it takes to play in the NBA. While Telfair is MUCH better than Marshall at this point, that difference is really not going to translate in any significant number of extra wins.

Brown is terrible. Sitting Brown (and Beasley) for that matter is not something you do when you want to tank. Brown can also be bought out after this year, which should make it easy to trade him as well. Johnson is getting some minutes instead, which is a good thing- let's see what he's got before just letting him walk next summer.

As Chap pointed out- "there is a difference between playing/evaluating young guys on a bad team and intentionally trying to lose."

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
. But at least Wes is young and still has a chance to be retained. Brown is as good as gone.
Brown is still under contract for another year, while Johnson's contract is expiring. So, Brown will be around unless we find someone who needs a black-hole 2 guard.

I suppose you are right that Wes has a chance to be retained, because if we offer him a contract, I can't see anyone outbidding us. Last night he played well, but he has poor ball handling and has shown very little motivation over the last 2 and a half years.

He played with some energy last night. As I was watching him, he reminded me of another player from the distant past, but I just couldnt place it.

I just remembered. He looks a little like Michael Cooper to me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He played with some energy last night. As I was watching him, he reminded me of another player from the distant past, but I just couldnt place it.

I just remembered. He looks a little like Michael Cooper to me.

Wes Johnson has this Walter Davis type look (and jump shot when he is on) although he definitely does not have his game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Chap. I actually like Telfair a lot, but the Suns wasted a lottery pick on Marshall, so it makes sense to give him some playing time and see if that pick was a waste or if he has what it takes to play in the NBA. While Telfair is MUCH better than Marshall at this point, that difference is really not going to translate in any significant number of extra wins.

Brown is terrible. Sitting Brown (and Beasley) for that matter is not something you do when you want to tank. Brown can also be bought out after this year, which should make it easy to trade him as well. Johnson is getting some minutes instead, which is a good thing- let's see what he's got before just letting him walk next summer.

As Chap pointed out- "there is a difference between playing/evaluating young guys on a bad team and intentionally trying to lose."

Yeah, to me, tanking is intentionally trying to lose and I don't think we are doing that. It may just be semantics but I think we've reached the point where winning the game is no longer THE priority but that's not the same thing as tanking.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
Wes was reminiscent of Walter when he rose up for that one smooth jump shot but Michael Cooper? I don't see that.
It was nice to get a good look at him... maybe he did elevate his game against his old team and coach but it made me want to see more. I liked his demeanor, too. Just for that I'd take him over Shannon Black... ooops, Brown. It could be that they should not 'showcase' him much since we have no edge on any other team that might want to sign him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wes was reminiscent of Walter when he rose up for that one smooth jump shot but Michael Cooper? I don't see that.
It was nice to get a good look at him... maybe he did elevate his game against his old team and coach but it made me want to see more. I liked his demeanor, too. Just for that I'd take him over Shannon Black... ooops, Brown. It could be that they should not 'showcase' him much since we have no edge on any other team that might want to sign him.

Just a physical resemblance. He has that starving Ethiopian look.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, to me, tanking is intentionally trying to lose and I don't think we are doing that. It may just be semantics but I think we've reached the point where winning the game is no longer THE priority but that's not the same thing as tanking.

Steve

Yep. That's it. Different definitions of tanking.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I couldn't pull up the link.
Here is how the article begins.

Phoenix Suns Must Master Art of Tanking Games

Rock bottom is a sporting cliché. In Phoenix, it’s a reality.

The Suns are the worst team in the Western Conference. The vacant look in Michael Beasley’s eyes reflects the apathy we all feel for this basketball team. And with 24 games left in the regular season, there is only one thing left for this organization to accomplish.

Memo to Robert Sarver: It rhymes with banking.

The business of tanking games is a delicate matter. No one wants to get caught losing on purpose. It sends the wrong message to fans and hurts the league’s image. But feigning competitiveness can be a necessary evil and a fine art in the NBA, and for the Suns, that time has arrived.

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
The NBA is about winning and entertainment value. Suns are producing little of either :(

After 38 years of being a fan,,,,I've nearly lost interest. Will it change?

I hope so, but that FO looks anemic

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake