Telfair to the Raptors for Haddadi

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Bleah. Telfair no longer had value to the Suns, but Haddadi is a stiff -- and at 27 years old, he doesn't figure to get much better. I would have rather seen the Suns get back an option to swap second-round picks down the road, or some similar kind of minimal draft improvement.

HooverDam

Reaction score
This trade nets the Suns $200K, thats why it was done.

Something like you outlined would've been better, but who cares? Its a whatever trade either way.

Does Haddadi have a brother? Lets get him if so.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Does Haddadi have a brother? Lets get him if so.

Heh.

Actually the reports now have the Suns also receiving a 2nd-round pick, so that's cool. Second-round picks are almost worthless, but in this case it's the most valuable asset in the trade.

I wish Telfair well. He was doing quite a solid job this season until the coaching change.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns also got a second round pick. That was the trade, Bassy for a second rounder. Haddadi is just salary they had to take back.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, we might not be better but we certainly got uglier.

Wonder how Telfair feels. At least he is going to get some deserved minutes, but I bet he thought he was going to get traded to a playoff contender.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Heh.

Actually the reports now have the Suns also receiving a 2nd-round pick, so that's cool. Second-round picks are almost worthless, but in this case it's the most valuable asset in the trade.

I wish Telfair well. He was doing quite a solid job this season until the coaching change.

Early second rounders are more valuable than late first rounders to most teams these days because of the guaranteed money first rounders get.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, we were wondering before the season if Telfair could gain some trade value if he received playing time. I guess he did, a second-round pick's worth. Better than nothing, I suppose.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns also got a second round pick. That was the trade, Bassy for a second rounder. Haddadi is just salary they had to take back.

This is essence of the trade, Telfair for a second round pick. It would be interesting if the Suns now traded O'Neal and kept Haddadi as a backup center.

It now bothers me because they are now calling the second round pick as conditional.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
It's a protected second rounder right? What are they protecting it from lol.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess the pick is going to be the lesser of Toronto and Sacramento's 2nd rounder in 2014.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Early second rounders are more valuable than late first rounders to most teams these days because of the guaranteed money first rounders get.

People often say that, but I don't think it's true. A rookie contract is guaranteed for only two years, and someone taken late in the first round earns only about $1 million per season. Subtract out the salary paid to the second-rounder, and the difference in financial commitment is somewhere around $1.5 million total. That's chump change for a potentially critical upgrade in talent, even for an organization watching its finances closely.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just told the guy cleaning my carpets that the Suns traded Telfair and he got really excited. Turns out he is Diante Garrett's cousin.

No lie. He's still packing up his stuff as I type.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just told the guy cleaning my carpets that the Suns traded Telfair and he got really excited. Turns out he is Diante Garrett's cousin.

No lie. He's still packing up his stuff as I type.

Sometimes it is a very small world.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haddadi will be waived by Suns per 620 AM radio.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone else around the league will be waived. Early free agency of a sort.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now the Suns are backtracking (or the radio personalities are) and the Suns will keep Haddadi to take a look at him.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
So we traded a player who had no future with the Suns and was getting no playing time (Telfair) for a player who has virtually no chance of having a future (Haddadi) and a second round pick that has small chance having a future with the Suns. Plus Mr. Sarver gets to save $200K. Not exactly exciting -- but not a bad deal.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A good international relations move at least.

We are now the only team to sport a Pole, an Iranian, and a Slovian (thanks HD). If we could only bring Barbosa back, healthy. Sigh.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake