Ten early Week 1 thoughts

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Petzing had plenty of those yesterday. He and Kyler were a bad combo, which is no bueno.
He got the first part right - establish the ground game and tempo, and force the opponent to devote more resources to stop the run. Then he just ignored the fact that they were selling out vs. the run, and never even tried to take advantage over the top.

I worry that Petzing gets into "smartest guy in the room" territory and is too clever by half.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have to admit that I did not see the game because of a prior commitment, but I did follow along on my phone’s Gamecast feature. I was sutunned that Harrison had only 1catch and 3 targets. Was that the QBs fault, the game day coordinator’s fault, the coach’s fault. Don’t know. If he’s not going to be used — and a lot — why draft him? There are plenty of holes to be filled, especially in the defensive side. My feeling is that the other team must be the one to take out our best option, not our decision to under utilize that option. If you’ve got a shiny new SUV in the garage, don’t take your 20-year-old pickup on a cross country trip.
This was a very very windy game, the ball fell off the tee every single kick off, and the Bills doubled MHJ quite a bit. He should have gotten more targets regardless.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Conner looked great “out of the gate” either.
He looked like… Connor.

I don’t know what people expect out of him, but I hope that notion of extending him dies a quick death on the board and isn’t even a consideration by the FO.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He got the first part right - establish the ground game and tempo, and force the opponent to devote more resources to stop the run. Then he just ignored the fact that they were selling out vs. the run, and never even tried to take advantage over the top.

I worry that Petzing gets into "smartest guy in the room" territory and is too clever by half.
Yep. I whispered "Don't be conservative, you can't be conservative here" at my TV for our first 2nd-half possession. Result? Run, run, pass, punt SMH