Texans first to sign one of there first rounders.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It'll all fall into place quickly. I'm guessing next month we'll start seeing our signings.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the Cardinals finally stepped into modern times with the contracts they gave Pace and Johnson, this is the first time I've ever felt the chances of long holdouts are very low.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Since the Cardinals finally stepped into modern times with the contracts they gave Pace and Johnson, this is the first time I've ever felt the chances of long holdouts are very low.

I agree aj. There certainly isnt any reason to be concerned at this point.

spanky1

Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
It'll all fall into place quickly. I'm guessing next month we'll start seeing our signings.

I'll bet you are right on with this statement.......seeing as it's almost July and training camp starts on the 29th ;) ;) ;)

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
I'll bet you are right on with this statement.......seeing as it's almost July and training camp starts on the 29th ;) ;) ;)

lol! Yeah, I like living out on a limb!

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
"The Texans traded their second-, third- and fourth-round draft picks to acquire Babin with the 27th overall selection."

If this is true, I'm not impressed.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two words: Poston brothers.
Two more: Eugene Parker.
Two more: Michael Bidwill.

Mixture: highly combustible.

I see anger, dismay, bruised egos, and bad words. I see problems ahead. Yes, I do.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Two words: Poston brothers.
Two more: Eugene Parker.
Two more: Michael Bidwill.

Mixture: highly combustible.

I see anger, dismay, bruised egos, and bad words. I see problems ahead. Yes, I do.

Skkorpion--June 24 said:
I hate to burst your bubble guys but this is the year of the holdout in the NFL.

I have heard Rod Graves say that the Cardinals have certain things they must do with contracts and that will not change.

Last year, MN and AZ held the line and beat the agents. This year, with a stagnant salary cap and a bunch of teams finally crawling out of salary cap hell, many more owners and GMS are expected to force holdouts.

If I'm not mistaken, both the 17th and 18th pick got bells and whistles last year, including a voidable fith year. Someone check please. I don't have the time.

Right now, my guess is that 7 to 10 first round picks will be holdouts, including both Cards picks. Agent Pat Dye in particular likes to hold players out as a negotiating tool.

Go ahead and misplace your ire by blaming Rod Graves for this too but he can't give bells and whistles. At least, I don't think he can.

I did ask him about this but have no answer yet.

Bryant Johnson signed July 29th, 2003. Calvin Pace signed July 28, 2003.

Eugene Parker's client Rex Grossman was a one-day training camp holdout. 2003's longest holdout (not counting McGahee) was Byron Leftwich, who was represented by Tom Condon, of IMG. The holdout was 19 days.

I think it's a little early to start caressing the panic button on holdouts. As long as they're in during the first week of camp, they'll all be fine.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, k9. You are right and I was wrong. Habit of mine. But at the risk of being labeled a dark-sider, I just have a creeping bad feeling about our signings this year.

I really do.

OP
OP
joeshmo

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
I know, I know, k9. You are right and I was wrong. Habit of mine. But at the risk of being labeled a dark-sider, I just have a creeping bad feeling about our signings this year.

I really do.

Looking at the history of the Postons 2nd rounders, heck even their 1st rounders, they really dont have a big history of more then a week hold outs.

If I remember correctly they had all of there 1st rounders in camp on time and only less then 1 week holdout with there 2nd rounder Mike Doss. But Indy had a holdout of there 3rd rounder to who wasnt represented by the Postons, so I really doubt the way that Indy did contracts last year.

Where they really get their bad rap is from their high priced FA's, and some of the stupid comments they make.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
If I remember correctly they had all of there 1st rounders in camp on time and only less then 1 week holdout with there 2nd rounder Mike Doss. But Indy had a holdout of there 3rd rounder to who wasnt represented by the Postons, so I really doubt the way that Indy did contracts last year.

Where they really get their bad rap is from their high priced FA's, and some of the stupid comments they make.

I don't follow INdy closely but couldn't the holdout of Doss have CAUSED the holdout of the 3rd rounder? I mean the money comes from the same rookie cap so if they were holding money for Doss is clearly could have caused the other holdout.

Doss isn't a great comparison because he wasn't universally rated a first rounder, but my recollection is that one of the reasons he did hold out was they said he was drafted lower than he should have been so they were looking for something extra either in bonus or escalator.

That's my fear with Dansby, it's my opinion(no evidence to support it just my opinion) that Dansby would have been a first rounder for sure if he had different agents.

OP
OP
joeshmo

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I don't follow INdy closely but couldn't the holdout of Doss have CAUSED the holdout of the 3rd rounder? I mean the money comes from the same rookie cap so if they were holding money for Doss is clearly could have caused the other holdout.

Doss isn't a great comparison because he wasn't universally rated a first rounder, but my recollection is that one of the reasons he did hold out was they said he was drafted lower than he should have been so they were looking for something extra either in bonus or escalator.

It is a good comparison becuase most teams sign lower round guys first to get a better idea of what they can offer their higher guys. 3rd rounder was 3 days late, 2nd rounder was 4 days late, and 1st rounder was about 5 days late. So they did follow the backwards signing method.

Plus, he held out becuase of some viodable years and some of the other none money issues in his contract they did not like, had nothing to do with money.

As for waiting for something extra that isnt true or he would have held out longer. He also got normal contract for his draft position.

Pick 57 - $1,145,000 bonus, 4 years, $2,515,000 Total

Doss(#58) - $1,100,000 bonus, 5 Years(5 year viodable team option), $3,015,000 Total

Pick 59 - $1,043,000 bonus, 4 years, $2,413,000 Total

As you can see his salary is slotted right where it should be plus Indy got the better deal becuase they can either keep him at a low salary for the 5th year or cut him loss if he sucks. Plus his escalolators were nothing out of the ordinary compared to the others. Like I said their sticking point wasnt the money it was the viodable years according to all of the articles that I have read.

Also the Postons represented Charlie Rogers as well. He was the #2 overall and got a contract comparable to past #2's and that year #1 and #3 picks, from everything from bonuses, base salary, and extra's. And was in camp on time. They also said that he should have been #1. The postons say the same thing about all of there rookies, "they should have been picked sooner". But in the end what they say never has any barring on what they negotiate.

Like I said before the Postons dont have a history of holding out or having more bad dealings then any other agents with their rookies. You may have a bad feeling about it and rightfully so if that is how you feel (you probably get that from the bad dealings they have with there high priced FA's not there rookies), but my point is that what I have already laid out should help to slightly put anyone at ease.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05