texans have a running problem of their own.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5672

If we can put the gap control we had in our first two games back together with Hayes playing on top of his game we can shut down the texans running game completely.

I know the colts ran wide on us with success as they double teamed CC to which he lost contain and our OLB could'nt make the tackle on Donald Brown before he made good yardage on the stretch play.

I hope we've studied that film over and over in case the texans want to try that.If not we've got the middle covered IN MY PERSONAL OPINION.Even if there are those that think Slaton being a slasher will hit the holes any different than Gore or Jones-drew did.

I don't see much of a running game threat coming at Qwest field that we can't handle so lets get slaton to give up the ball this week like he's known to do.Dockett is always a ball hawker up inside.Could be BIG!!!:D

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I love the idea of staying staunch against the run. Outside us fans the rest of the NFL nerds don't appreciate just how good this team is against the run.

Gap control's a great way to maintain that, but allows for a lot of time off playaction passes, especially if Schaub bootlegs out to the backside of the slant (a staple of ZB schemes).

Keeping an extra OLBer to contain the 'boot' can leave an exposed seem in centerfield, an area the Texans love to go. Having Hayes play his strength by rushing downhill, leaves even more space in the middle to work, if you roll over the other ILB to cover that you leave room for the recievers outside the hash.

Speaking of playing to strength, Dockett's (and Branch) a penetrator, not a controller (something Campbell and Robinson/Watson can do).

If I were to make a call, I'd mix and match. Design to what the players do well, but not using it as too much of a crutch.

This is why a job in the NFL wouldn't be all that glamourous. There's a lot of stuff to digest.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
As a Steve Slaton fantasy owner, I can tell you that outside of last week he has done absolutely NOTHING all year long. He is riding my bench this week, I don't see him producing against our run D on Sunday.

OP
OP
Doug

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I love the idea of staying staunch against the run. Outside us fans the rest of the NFL nerds don't appreciate just how good this team is against the run.

Gap control's a great way to maintain that, but allows for a lot of time off playaction passes, especially if Schaub bootlegs out to the backside of the slant (a staple of ZB schemes).

Keeping an extra OLBer to contain the 'boot' can leave an exposed seem in centerfield, an area the Texans love to go. Having Hayes play his strength by rushing downhill, leaves even more space in the middle to work, if you roll over the other ILB to cover that you leave room for the recievers outside the hash.

Speaking of playing to strength, Dockett's (and Branch) a penetrator, not a controller (something Campbell and Robinson/Watson can do).

If I were to make a call, I'd mix and match. Design to what the players do well, but not using it as too much of a crutch.

This is why a job in the NFL wouldn't be all that glamourous. There's a lot of stuff to digest.

Just another great post Spck.Can we sign you long term?:D

Air Canada

Reaction score
As a Steve Slaton fantasy owner, I can tell you that outside of last week he has done absolutely NOTHING all year long. He is riding my bench this week, I don't see him producing against our run D on Sunday.

Okay, as a Texans fan I can tell u...he had two good games...Jags and Raiders...two bad games Jets and Titans...two tough run defenses, he's only gonna get better as the season goes on...

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Okay, as a Texans fan I can tell u...he had two good games...Jags and Raiders...two bad games Jets and Titans...two tough run defenses, he's only gonna get better as the season goes on...

I agree he's off to a bad start, but he's not going to get back on track against the #2 rated run defense.

Air Canada

Reaction score
I agree he's off to a bad start, but he's not going to get back on track against the #2 rated run defense.

Maybe, maybe not, but the last 2 games have been much better and I look for him to get better as the season goes on....It may not be this Sunday, but we'll have to see...:D

b0ng

Reaction score
How is your defense on screens and swing passes to the HB? If you're a Slaton fantasy owner you know that so far Slaton has put up better numbers receiving than he has rushing.

Currently most Texans fans are down on the running game (Hey the O-line is doing a marginal job of opening holes, but so far their first 3 games have been against teams who sport a wicked NT or are overall a good run defense), but we were the same way last season. Chester Pitts (LG) getting injured against the Jags would've put a damper in the run game but his backup has been doing a pretty decent job. I would also say that as of right now our left side is much better at run blocking than our right side (And specifically Duane Brown seems to be a much better run blocker than the rest of the line).

Which NT will be starting for you guys? I'm hoping its the one who only weighs 300 pounds as we seem to have problems with big behemoths in the middle.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
How is your defense on screens and swing passes to the HB? If you're a Slaton fantasy owner you know that so far Slaton has put up better numbers receiving than he has rushing.

Currently most Texans fans are down on the running game (Hey the O-line is doing a marginal job of opening holes, but so far their first 3 games have been against teams who sport a wicked NT or are overall a good run defense), but we were the same way last season. Chester Pitts (LG) getting injured against the Jags would've put a damper in the run game but his backup has been doing a pretty decent job. I would also say that as of right now our left side is much better at run blocking than our right side (And specifically Duane Brown seems to be a much better run blocker than the rest of the line).

Which NT will be starting for you guys? I'm hoping its the one who only weighs 300 pounds as we seem to have problems with big behemoths in the middle.

3 man rotation:

Robinson - 304
Watson - 329
Branch - 338

Take it for what its worth. They arent very productive, but take a lot to move.

OP
OP
Doug

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
3 man rotation:

Robinson - 304
Watson - 329
Branch - 338

Take it for what its worth. They arent very productive, but take a lot to move.

Excuse me texan fan.You'll see today that not only are they VERY PRODUCTIVE,they allow another man in Hayes or Dansby to make very easy tackles behind the line of scrimmage untouched.Thats what they are supposed to do.Just because you don't see many tackles by their names does'nt mean they did'nt do their jobs perfect.

You might even hear Branch's name called over the loud speaker today as the light has finally clicked on in his game play.:D