OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
K Ivy
@Ivyman_FF

Jared Goff's 2024 schedule Wk 1: DomeWk 2: Dome Wk 3: DomeWk 4: DomeWk 5: ByeWk 6: DomeWk 7: DomeWk 8: DomeWk 9: Lambeau Wk 10: DomeWk 11: DomeWk 12: DomeWk 13: DomeWk 14: DomeWk 15: DomeWk 16: @ Chicago Wk 17: @ San Francisco Wk 18: Dome

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
So the Niners have Deebo, Aiyuk, Williams, CMC, Bosa, Warner, Hargrave, Kittle, and a couple others all being PAID.
Cards have Kyler and Buddha as the only guys with significant salaries and I see people talking about the Cards and cap space restrictions. Please explain.

Yes I know Purdy is being paid nothing but that’s 1 guy. Marv is on a rookie deal too.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So the Niners have Deebo, Aiyuk, Williams, CMC, Bosa, Warner, Hargrave, Kittle, and a couple others all being PAID.
Cards have Kyler and Buddha as the only guys with significant salaries and I see people talking about the Cards and cap space restrictions. Please explain.

Yes I know Purdy is being paid nothing but that’s 1 guy. Marv is on a rookie deal too.
To be fair, they're more than $40 million over the projected 2025 cap -- and it's all worth it if they win the Super Bowl this year.

They only have 22 players under contract in 2026, with void years for guys like Deebo, Kittle, Greenlaw, and others.

You have to have good players on your roster; no one in free agency was as good as Trent Williams.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

The 49ers have given a lot of players very backloaded their deals with huge signing bonuses to keep the players happy (signing bonuses have an equal cap hit every year over the life of the contract).

Bosa, Kittle, Hargrave, Warner, McCaffery and Aiyuk all have a base salary this year of just over $1 million and each has a cap hit of under 15 mill for this year mostly coming from the bonus. However if you look at the 49ers cap hits for 2026 you start seeing some big numbers, like Bosa having a cap hit of 40 million, Warner 26 million and Williams 37 million. The 49ers have less cap space available in 2026 than they do in 2024 currently, with only 35 players signed. When 2026 comes they can either just cut players or restructure the contract to push the cap hit out further. So the 49ers are technically paying all these players, they just aren't paying them this year.

The Cardinals do not have a lot of cap gymnastics. The guys we are paying, we are paying them this year. To be fair, we haven't drafted a lot of guys worth giving top of the line money. I think only one of the guys the 49ers are paying big money was acquired during free agency (Hargrave), the rest were drafted or traded for.

Last edited:

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is this leading to a good or a bad trend?
The trend is players are realizing that any non guaranteed money in a backloaded contract is money that they will probably never see. That trick was going to stop working eventually, at least on players with as much leverage as Williams.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

And boom goes the dynamite.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

ESPN Sources: Denver Broncos and two-time Pro-Bowl CB Patrick Surtain ll reached agreement today on a four-year, $96 million extension that includes $77.5 million guaranteed, now making him the highest-paid defensive back in NFL history.Tory Dandy of CAA negotiated the deal.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Cardinals have managed to get out of cap hell in one season and are now sitting on $25M in available cap space. They have no cap space restrictions at this time or in future years.

So why do the 49ers have more cap space then the Cardinals in 2024? Well that is because the 49ers have a ton of voided years baked into those contracts that you have listed.

In 2025 Ward, Greenlaw, Feliciano, Campbell and Yiadom will all have their contracts Void. That will create $18M in dead money. That is on top of the $16.5M of dead money already created from the 2024 offseason.

Then in 2026 Samuel, Kittle, Juszczyk, Floyd, Gross-Matos, Collins, McKivitz, Jennings and Elliott will all have their contracts Void creating $61.36M in dead money.

Then in 2027 Warner, Williams, Hardgrave, will have their contracts void creating at least $23.3M in dead money and that number will probably increase as Trent Williams just had his contract redone.

Compare that to the Cardinals who only have Two Players with Voided years in their contract. Both that void in 2026:
Jalen Thompson
Jonah Williams

That will create about $11M in dead money in 2026 for the Cardinals

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals have managed to get out of cap hell in one season and are now sitting on $25M in available cap space. They have no cap space restrictions at this time or in future years.

So why do the 49ers have more cap space then the Cardinals in 2024? Well that is because the 49ers have a ton of voided years baked into those contracts that you have listed.

In 2025 Ward, Greenlaw, Feliciano, Campbell and Yiadom will all have their contracts Void. That will create $18M in dead money. That is on top of the $16.5M of dead money already created from the 2024 offseason.

Then in 2026 Samuel, Kittle, Juszczyk, Floyd, Gross-Matos, Collins, McKivitz, Jennings and Elliott will all have their contracts Void creating $61.36M in dead money.

Then in 2027 Warner, Williams, Hardgrave, will have their contracts void creating at least $23.3M in dead money and that number will probably increase as Trent Williams just had his contract redone.

Compare that to the Cardinals who only have Two Players with Voided years in their contract. Both that void in 2026:
Jalen Thompson
Jonah Williams

That will create about $11M in dead money in 2026 for the Cardinals
All for a team that still won’t win the SB :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky