The 2024 NBA playoffs thread

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Minn and Edward’s showing up in an elimination game like the Suns that game 7 a few years ago lol. WOW just looking like this series is just over at halftime on the road. Minn just putting out gutless effort standing around not attacking the boards can’t count the shot clock violations already in the first half! Just pathetic display…

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
Mavs have the best 2 individual scorers under pressure in the whole NBA, who are also among the best passers. Minn roster is maybe too big to properly stop those perfect PnRs. It's up to Boston to stop them, or Dallas becomes the new dynasty.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SUPER LAME crap from Edwards there, bailing without shaking hands. If you’re gonna talk as much smack as he has to every opponent in the playoffs, it’s a really punk move not to stand and take your medicine after you fall flat on your face.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Minn and Edward’s showing up in an elimination game like the Suns that game 7 a few years ago lol. WOW just looking like this series is just over at halftime on the road. Minn just putting out gutless effort standing around not attacking the boards can’t count the shot clock violations already in the first half! Just pathetic display…
I didn't watch the game yet, but I figured that doncic and Irving would score a lot more today.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
instead of luka watching tape in dallas he's bleeding in minnesota lol
I'm glad it worked out the way that it did. it's not like they don't have time to recover. and Maxi Kleber got to play 2 games which should help him prep for Boston. dallas will need him. hopefully he can be a factor at both ends.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mavs have the best 2 individual scorers under pressure in the whole NBA, who are also among the best passers. Minn roster is maybe too big to properly stop those perfect PnRs. It's up to Boston to stop them, or Dallas becomes the new dynasty.

Takes a lot more than 1 trip to the finals to make a dynasty. Dallas was in the lottery last year also so this isn't a trip following a string of success either.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Takes a lot more than 1 trip to the finals to make a dynasty. Dallas was in the lottery last year also so this isn't a trip following a string of success either.
Drafting doncic was huge for them, also Brunson. They were just in the WCF 2 years ago and here they are today after rebuilding their entire roster around doncic. I’m glad you mentioned the lottery, because where would they be without lively? I think we saw where they would be in that game 4.

Dynasty is a long reach. they actually have to win the finals to even have a shot at a repeat. I’m impressed with what Dallas has done since the trade deadline. I think they have played on par with Boston since that point. But Boston are clearly the best team in the NBA and have done it all year. They have a squad full of dudes that know how to win. Boston will probably win, but I’m still rooting for the mavs and believe in them.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dallas this year is not as good as Denver last year.
We’ve been in an era of parity since KD got injured and left GS.

Think it’s something like 5 or 6 straight years there will be a different NBA Champ this year, which is the longest such stretch since the 80’s.

And I don’t see that changing any time soon. Doncic and Jokic are all-time offensive greats, but there isn’t a Shaq/Duncan out there who can absolutely dominate on both ends, or a Jordan, LeBron, Kobe level top 3 All-Time guys who could dominate on both ends either.

Maybe Ant gets there but he’s sooooo young and needs seasoning and another partner in crime. Tatum/Brown is a very very good combo, but neither a potential top 10 all time greats. Giannis was that guy but the team around has disintegrated quickly. SGA needs another star next to him.

That said, there is A LOT of really great young talent, and some probably just need some seasoning before they dominate year in, year out. Overall, the league is in really good shape.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure there will be another dynasty with the way the league is setup now. I mean teams that can afford two max players and willing to pay luxury taxes will still have a leg up but it’s a much shorter leg.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m calling it. Mavs in 6.

White and Holiday are good defenders though. The Celtics have had an easier path to the finals and will be truly tested. I think the Mavs athleticism in the backcourt wins the series for them. Horford is a solid defender, but I’m not sure how he will defend the lobs and dunks. Also Kidd is a good strategist, he deserves some recognition.

I’ve been wrong on all my predictions though lol. I picked knicks over Indy. Nuggets over wolves. Wolves over Mavs. OKC over Mavs.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Props to the Mavericks front office. They made smart moves at the deadline that pushed them over the top. Without the Gafford/Washington trade, they'd be home just like the Suns right about now. It must be nice to have a GM who isn't a clown.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mavs built a balanced team, they have star power, they have a ton of role players who embrace it... I think they fall to Boston, who have built an even more balanced team despite less star power. If Portzingis is healthy, I think Boston wins in 5.

If Boston wins, they will do so without a top 10 player on their roster... maybe even top 15. I don't think Tatum is even remotely an MVP caliber player, but Boston has a roster with balance, depth and chemistry.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mavs built a balanced team, they have star power, they have a ton of role players who embrace it... I think they fall to Boston, who have built an even more balanced team despite less star power. If Portzingis is healthy, I think Boston wins in 5.

If Boston wins, they will do so without a top 10 player on their roster... maybe even top 15. I don't think Tatum is even remotely an MVP caliber player, but Boston has a roster with balance, depth and chemistry.

Tatum is most definitely a top 15 player and I'd say very close to top 5. He averaged 26 ppg, 8 rpg, and 5 apg this season and 26 ppg, 10 rpg, and 6 apg this post season while sailing past their competition, going 12-2. Those are star numbers. Not to mention he's a bit of an iron man, only missing 35 games throughout his 7 year career. He's finished 10 in MVP voting for the last 3 years (#6 in 2022, #4 in 23, and #6 this last season) and is a 5 time All-Star.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tatum is most definitely a top 15 player and I'd say very close to top 5. He averaged 26 ppg, 8 rpg, and 5 apg this season and 26 ppg, 10 rpg, and 6 apg this post season while sailing past their competition, going 12-2. Those are star numbers. Not to mention he's a bit of an iron man, only missing 35 games throughout his 7 year career. He's finished 10 in MVP voting for the last 3 years (#6 in 2022, #4 in 23, and #6 this last season) and is a 5 time All-Star.
Yeah… I thought that comment was bizarre, as Tatum’s also made 3 straight 1st Team All-NBA the last three years, while being consistently a very good defensive player also.

I guess for point of reference, I’d ask @Phrazbit if Tatum is possibly not even a top 15 player, what is Devin Booker?

Last edited:

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Nah, I actually expect a really good series here. Unlike the Conference Finals. Six or seven games. Boston a slight favorite.
i just don't see it amigo - and idk why boston would be favored honestly other than season records - dallas is waaaaaaayyyy hotter rn