The Best Football Movie Ever.

What is your favorite Football movie of all time?

• Knute Rockne, All American

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Jim Thorpe – All American

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paper Lion

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Brian's Song

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • The Longest Yard

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • Semi-Tough

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heaven Can Wait

• North Dallas Forty

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • All the Right Moves

• Everybody's All-American

• The Program

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Rudy

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • Jerry Maguire

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • The Waterboy

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Any Given Sunday

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Varsity Blues

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • The Replacements

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Remember the Titans

Votes: 13 14.6%

• Total voters

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Tie. Rudy and Jerry McGuire.

ND and the Cards. Can't beat it.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rudy was the only time I have ever came close to crying at a movie...yeah but it was probably because of my allergies :)

Last edited:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wheres the love for "The Last Boy Scout"

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
wheres the little rascals!!!???....

Nah, but the Program was bad ass, but nothing beats the little guy that is all heart!!! RUDY!

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Alan
...and where is Unnecessary Roughness? :)

I went with Remember the Titans.

I didn't want the list to be too long, the poll is already 18 choices long. Some sacrifices had to be made...

Kathy Ireland...yummy!

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
Rudy was the only time I have ever came close to crying at a movie...yeah but it was probably because of my allergies :)

I got teary-eyed at "Rudy"...but not as bad as I did for "Rocky"...ADRIAN!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I had to go with Jerry McGuire, but I do love the movie Everybody's All-American...and basically every movie on the list.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
I love all these movies, but "North Dallas Forty" is the best to me because it shows just how out of control he Cowboys players were (and probably still are), and how Tom Landry didn't give a flying **** about his players.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
I love all these movies, but "North Dallas Forty" is the best to me because it shows just how out of control he Cowboys players were (and probably still are), and how Tom Landry didn't give a flying **** about his players.

There is a book out about the Cowboys, and how unethically they dealt with their players in the early days of the franchise.

I can't remember what it was called, but anyone who hates the Cowboys will hate them more after reading it.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
There is a book out about the Cowboys, and how unethically they dealt with their players in the early days of the franchise.

I can't remember what it was called, but anyone who hates the Cowboys will hate them more after reading it.

It wouldn't happen to be "North Dallas Forty" would it? It was written by former Cowboys receiver Pete Gent. :D

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
It wouldn't happen to be "North Dallas Forty" would it? It was written by former Cowboys receiver Pete Gent. :D

When did that movie come out?

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
With all due respect to all of the other choices, "The Best Of Times" is played every year before the season starts. I've seen this movie a hundred times but still laugh uncontrollably when Robin Williams tries to secretly pull out the TV so he can watch the football game that his wife has demanded he give up.

Not only is it a great movie for the football fan, but a way to justify your "Sunday Ticket" purchase to your better half. "See honey, I'm not the only one obsessed with football!"

"We can have it all, the girls and the game"

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Originally posted by cardfaninfl
With all due respect to all of the other choices, "The Best Of Times" is played every year before the season starts. I've seen this movie a hundred times but still laugh uncontrollably when Robin Williams tries to secretly pull out the TV so he can watch the football game that his wife has demanded he give up.

Not only is it a great movie for the football fan, but a way to justify your "Sunday Ticket" purchase to your better half. "See honey, I'm not the only one obsessed with football!"

"We can have it all, the girls and the game"

I too really enjoyed "The Best of Times". I especially enjoyed Robin Williams trash-talking with the mad-man covering him.

Again, with a list this long, some sacrifices had to be made.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Who picked "Heaven Can Wait"? I loved that movie because it had my beloved Rams winning for a change!:D

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
Brian's song (the original) & North Dallas are the tops. If you didn't cry during Brian's song, your dead inside. If you didn't see the truth in North Dallas, you live in a bubble.

I'd have to throw in Something for Joey as an all-time tear jerker too. Rudy made me puke. How could anyone pull for that whiney, obnoxious prick. He should have had his ass stomped more severely.

Debacle

Reaction score
Paper Lion...

Alan Alda played George Plimpton in this movie. Plimpton was a journalist going "under cover" as a free agent singed in training camp by the Detroit Lions. Great Movie.

But my favorite part was when the preseason began and they used clips from an actual preseason game that Plimpton got to play in as the 5th string backup QB.

The film came out in 1968. And guess who is the Lions opponent in the game.... thats right, our beloved Cardinals.

A very young Jim Hart is in the game, along with Jackie Smith at tight end. Unlike Jerry McGuire,(a movie that I love too), they used the real players in the movie thus preserving a slice of history. :thumbup:
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Re: Paper Lion...

Originally posted by Debacle
Alan Alda played George Plimpton in this movie. Plimpton was a journalist going "under cover" as a free agent singed in training camp by the Detroit Lions. Great Movie.

But my favorite part was when the preseason began and they used clips from an actual preseason game that Plimpton got to play in as the 5th string backup QB.

The film came out in 1968. And guess who is the Lions opponent in the game.... thats right, our beloved Cardinals.

A very young Jim Hart is in the game, along with Jackie Smith at tight end. Unlike Jerry McGuire,(a movie that I love too), they used the real players in the movie thus preserving a slice of history. :thumbup:

Preach on brother! I also liked the fact that the Cards smacked that little Harvard grad around during his time on the field...

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Originally posted by Lars the Red
Brian's song (the original) & North Dallas are the tops. If you didn't cry during Brian's song, your dead inside. If you didn't see the truth in North Dallas, you live in a bubble.

I'd have to throw in Something for Joey as an all-time tear jerker too. Rudy made me puke. How could anyone pull for that whiney, obnoxious prick. He should have had his ass stomped more severely.

Dead solid perfect (no pun intended).

only two movies make me ball like a baby, "Brian's Song" and "Rocky".

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
I finally saw "Any Given Sunday" this weekend.

Is it just me, or does every Oliver Stone take absolutely bad thing in the entire subject matter of his films (Viet Nam, Wall Street, national media coverage of serial killers, football, etc.) and slam it all into a two hour movie?

He has to be the most negative guy in Hollywood. I hope he never makes a movie about me. I'd hate people to think that my entire 35 years on this planet have been as horrible as he would make it out to be.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched "Brian's Song". Very good movie! :)