The Cardinals' 2011 All-Karma Mock Draft

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Here is the 2011 Cardinals' All-Karma Draft:

1. Von Miller, OLB, (6-3, 240), Texas A&M. The Cardinals did well before with a linebacker named Miller---and better yet there is something about the #40 Miller wears that bears special significance.

2. Brandon Harris, CB, (5-11, 195), Miami. The Cardinals deserve a CB from Miami who can actually cover.

3. Greg McElroy, QB, (6-3, 225), Alabama. The last QB from Alabama we drafted who wore the #12 never signed with us and went on to win a Super Bowl with an AFL team.

4. Josh Bynes, ILB, (6-2, 245), Auburn. It would seem only fitting to have a SILB from Auburn line up and dominate next to the #58 WILB we drafted last year to replace the #58 from Auburn who wanted to feel the love somewhere else.

5. Andrew Jackson, G, (6-5, 295), Fresno St. Speaking of money---and the few more Andrew Jacksons we are inevitably going to have to spend in renewing our NFL Sunday Tickets this year---it's only fitting that Adams, Washington and Jefferson be joined by Jackson in the Cardinals' version of Mount Rushmore. We will call it Mount Camelback.

6a. Greg Smith, TE, (6-4, 250), Texas. Seems to me we did well once with a TE named Smith.

6b. Jeremy Avery, RB, (5-9, 173), Boise St. Something about there being magic whenever Boise St. is connected to the U of P. Picture this...in the 2012 NFC Championship game at U of P, Cardinals versus Packers, with 7 seconds left--- down 28-24---on 4th and goal from the 2 yard line---the Cardinals call the old Statue of Liberty play---and because of the wild trickery the cameraman has trouble following the play---but swings it quickly to capture Jeremy Avery dashing with the ball to the far left pylon...Avery dives...he's hit by Charles Woodson, but while careening toward the pylon he manages to reach out and slip the corner of the pigskin a fraction inside of it!!!...and get this---Avery jumps up and runs into the arms of one of the cutest Cardinal cheerleaders---goes down on one knee and proposes right on the spot! We need to bring the magic back to the U of P. and who better to turn to than an electrifying upstart kid from Boise St.

This one's for you, Dems, my pal...for the sentiment mentioned about #40. RIP, Pat.

Last edited:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Here is the 2011 Cardinals' All-Karma Draft:

1. Von Miller, OLB, (6-3, 240), Texas A&M. The Cardinals did well before with a linebacker named Miller---and better yet there is something about the #40 Miller wears that bears special significance.

2. Brandon Harris, CB, (5-11, 195), Miami. The Cardinals deserve a CB from Miami who can actually cover.

3. Greg McElroy, QB, (6-3, 225), Alabama. The last QB from Alabama we drafted who wore the #12 never signed with us and went on to win a Super Bowl with an AFL team.

4. Josh Bynes, ILB, (6-2, 245), Auburn. It would seem only fitting to have a SILB from Auburn line up and dominate next to the #58 WILB we drafted last year to replace the #58 from Auburn who wanted to feel the love somewhere else.

5. Andrew Jackson, G, (6-5, 295), Fresno St. Speaking of money---and the few more Andrew Jacksons we are inevitably going to have to spend in renewing our NFL Sunday Tickets this year---it's only fitting that Adams, Washington and Jefferson be joined by Jackson in the Cardinals' version of Mount Rushmore. We will call it Mount Camelback.

6a. Greg Smith, TE, (6-4, 250), Texas. Seems to me we did well once with a TE named Smith.

6b. Jeremy Avery, RB, (5-9, 173), Boise St. Something about there being magic whenever Boise St. is connected to the U of P. Picture this...in the 2012 NFC Championship game at U of P, Cardinals versus Packers, with 7 seconds left--- down 28-24---on 4th and goal from the 2 yard line---the Cardinals call the old Statue of Liberty play---and because of the wild trickery the cameraman has trouble following the play---but swings it quickly to capture Jeremy Avery dashing with the ball to the far left pylon...Avery dives...he's hit by Charles Woodson, but while careening toward the pylon he manages to reach out and slip the corner of the pigskin a fraction inside of it!!!...and get this---Avery jumps up and runs into the arms of one of the cutest Cardinal cheerleaders---goes down on one knee and proposes right on the spot! We need to bring the magic back to the U of P. and who better to turn to than an electrifying upstart kid from Boise St.

Glad to see you adding a small shifty RB to your list. I do think we need one. Our two RBs are sort of duplicates of each other. More power than speed. We need a change of pace runner to our mix. I do not know anything about your guy but there must be one out there that could surprise.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
I really like Brandon Harris. Like i wrote last year, the only corners that are going to turn out good in NFL are those that can turn arround and find the football and make some sort of play, deflection, INT , disturb the WR in some sort of another. In college, CB's don't get tested for this ability so often, because QB's can't throw those balls when CB is turned arround and because there is no such chemistry between QB's and wideouts.

In NFL, you turn your back to the QB, and you will get ripped off by the best QB's, if you don't know to turn arround in timing and face the QB, locate the ball. Those plays are easy to find in every game.

Last year i noticed Cox and Sydquan Thompson for that special ability. Strangely enough, they both got drafted by the same team. This year I haven't scouted many CB's. But i have seen some and i can say that Amukamara defenitely does not have that ability. When he turns arround, he is done. He will never find that football.

Brandon Harris can locate the ball. He is not as great at it, but very solid. He is a very good tackler. Agressive player with good IQ. He is one of those that you can play both man and zone with. You can trust him to play deep man and locate the ball. But you can also ask him to play zone underneath and be physical.

Another Brandon is even better. Brandon Burton from Utah. Amazing tapes on this kid. He has the same skillset as Harris, but he is just even better in locating that football with his back turned.

Jimmy Smith is the best press man corner. He has allowed 11 completions in 2 years of football. Facing some of the best passing attacks in college football. It's amazing what he has accomplished. If he runs below 4.4, he can easy be a top 10 pick, when people get to know the above mentioned stat. In fact, i bet that he is the second corner selected. And if true that Peterson will be drafted as FS, he will be the first corner selected.

Smith dominated because he has huge frame 6-1 and even longer arms, and even better in using those arms at the LOS. In college, recievers just are not able to deal with that type of amazing jam. He has good, but not great hips, his initial jam helps him alot, but he is extremely good in knowing when to cut undermeath a route and making a play with those long arms. In NFL, would he be able to jam recievers at LOS like Nnamdi is doing it? It's the same technique and advantage these two players are using. Nnamdi doesn't have the best hips either. He just knows how to direct WR's the way he wants them to, not the other way arround. Nnamdi is also exceptional in finding the football with no eyes on the QB. Smith does this on college level better than anyone, but can he do in NFL? I'm still not sold on his ability to make plays with his back towards the QB. There are not many examples to pick from in the games i watched, simply as that. QB's barely watch on his side of the field, he takes out wideouts already at the LOS. He is a bad tackler, negative there.

I'm looking forward to take a close look at Peterson as well.

I don't like Von Miller. I like him on a team with a great secondary and a D-Line that can stop the run without him contributing. He is so athletic and would be devastating in making coverage sacks, his closing speed would make it impossible for QB's to go outside the pocket when there are no targets. But he will never put pressures quickly inside the pocket and he will not make that pocket shrink. He will be great killing the plays that are halfway dead or completely over. Not my type of player, but he could get some good stats if he gets drafted by the right team. I just don't believe in sacks only, i believe in sacks where you dominate your tackle early and i believe in QB pressures. I believe in shrinking that pocket and make the QB feel uncomfortable. Speedrush alone, doesn't do all that. I also believe in stopping the run.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Glad to see you adding a small shifty RB to your list. I do think we need one. Our two RBs are sort of duplicates of each other. More power than speed. We need a change of pace runner to our mix. I do not know anything about your guy but there must be one out there that could surprise.

Did we trade Stephens-Howling?

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
The Cardinals actually had the RB that scored that statue of liberty play for BS on the practice squad for a few weeks, Ian Johnson.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
The Cardinals actually had the RB that scored that statue of liberty play for BS on the practice squad for a few weeks, Ian Johnson.

Great point, BigRedFan! They should have kept him, for Karma's sake!

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Did we trade Stephens-Howling?

Howlings carried the ball for 23 times last year for a total of 113 yards way below the league average. He has been used nearly as much as a receiver than a runner for what ever reason. In 2009 he rushed only 6 times for 13 yards. That is hardly the performance of a good running back. He seems to catch almost as much as he runs. The league average for a RB is 307 yards and top RB went for 1616 yds.

We still need a small shifty fast RB who can carry the ball week after week. The coaches must not think Howling is the man as they just do not give him the ball. I am not even sure our two big guys are as good as we think. Wells can turn a corner but not very good up the middle. Hightower is tough, big, but seems to prefer to run over people rather than slip by them for the big gain. Hopefully this year they can prove they are what we think they are (as Dennis Green would say.)

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Howlings carried the ball for 23 times last year for a total of 113 yards way below the league average. He has been used nearly as much as a receiver than a runner for what ever reason. In 2009 he rushed only 6 times for 13 yards. That is hardly the performance of a good running back. He seems to catch almost as much as he runs. The league average for a RB is 307 yards and top RB went for 1616 yds.

We still need a small shifty fast RB who can carry the ball week after week. The coaches must not think Howling is the man as they just do not give him the ball. I am not even sure our two big guys are as good as we think. Wells can turn a corner but not very good up the middle. Hightower is tough, big, but seems to prefer to run over people rather than slip by them for the big gain. Hopefully this year they can prove they are what we think they are (as Dennis Green would say.)

I agree, John. LSH is good in small doses---but his durability is an issue. If we don't draft a speedy RB...I think Alfonso Smith has a decent chance of sticking, if he can hone his pass receiving skills...because he is especially good in the red zone, as we saw in pre-season and Whiz loves a speed back in those situations.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch-----great time for a little levity on this board !!!!!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch-----great time for a little levity on this board !!!!!

Thanks my good friend.

And you know what...there may be something to this karma thing because I actually really like this draft...although, if it were up to me, I would draft another OLB (like Jabaal Sheard or Brooks Reed) or defensive lineman (like Phil Taylor or Jarvis Jenkins) in round 2.

The thing is---I really like the CBs we already have---that is if Deshea Townsend can get DRC straightened out---and I think that Greg Toler and A.J. Jefferson will thrive in Horton's system---with Mike Adams and either Trumaine McBride or Marshay Green hounding the slots.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks my good friend.

And you know what...there may be something to this karma thing because I actually really like this draft...although, if it were up to me, I would draft another OLB (like Jabaal Sheard or Brooks Reed) or defensive lineman (like Phil Taylor or Jarvis Jenkins) in round 2.

The thing is---I really like the CBs we already have---that is if Deshea Townsend can get DRC straightened out---and I think that Greg Toler and A.J. Jefferson will thrive in Horton's system---with Mike Adams and either Trumaine McBride or Marshay Green hounding the slots.

Pretty much agree 100% and this is probably my favorite mock anyone has done so far. I love McElroy, but a part of me just feels like the last thing we need is another mid round QB to be a career back-up. The scouts have never been that high on McElroy, even after leading 'Bama to a perfect season in his first year as starter. There must be some glaring weaknesses in his game that of which I am not aware.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score

Why are you looking at total yards? He ran at 4.9 YPC, it's not his fault whiz is in love with the pass and refuses to feed his backs consistently. For a 3rd string/3rd down back LaRod does what we need him to do. Obviously a 185 pound scat back is not going to be considered "the man", because he is just that, a scat back. Scat backs don't get "the man" carry totals.

Reaction score
Thats a pretty good Mock.

I could see you guys snatching Von Miller in the 1st. Aren't you guys switching to a 3-4?

Monty

2010 Cardinals Draft Guru
Reaction score
I really like Brandon Harris. Like i wrote last year, the only corners that are going to turn out good in NFL are those that can turn arround and find the football and make some sort of play, deflection, INT , disturb the WR in some sort of another. In college, CB's don't get tested for this ability so often, because QB's can't throw those balls when CB is turned arround and because there is no such chemistry between QB's and wideouts.

Absolutley agree. Im a big fan of Harris and think he is one of the best all round CB's in the draft. The kid makes plays no matter what you ask him to do and i think he would be the perfect foil for DRC. He can tackle, cover in both press and zone coverages and is a highly intelligent player. Incredibly underrated in my opinion. it wouldnt surprise me to see him go top 20 but if he is there at #38 id take him.