The Cardinals draft board: Here's my guess on their top 10 and why.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is not a mock draft. I am not projecting where I think guys will go and I haven't done near the research this year to begin to look beyond the 3 round for the Cards. But based on what I have read and what I have heard, here's what I see the Cards draft board looking like (players #1-10) and why they are ranked as such.

I am basing this judgement on a few few factors. Dennis Green has said he takes the best player available, but he also has said that his best player available may be different from everyone else because team need factors in significantly in determining the best player available. So here goes:

#1. D'Brickashaw Fergesun-If he somehow fell to #5, I could see the Cards making a pitch to move up and take him. I saw him in the senior bowl practices and saw a number of Virginia games this season and he is awesome.

#2. Matt Leinart-He is a younger, stronger version of Kurt Warner. Supersmart guy who throws a ball that is perfect for our recievers. Sure we run a timing offense, but we don't run the type the Rams run with smallish super fast recievers catching the ball in stride and taking it the distance. We have superbig, supertalented, physical recievers who make great adjustments on deep ball and Leinart throws a sweet catchable ball and his forte is throwing to a spot and letting guys go get it.

#3-AJ Hawk-The only defensive player I see us considering trading up for. He is a great, great player who happens to play a position of need (weakside linebacker, or middlebacker if necessary)

#4-Reggie Bush-Don't need a back, but Green would still take Bush in a heartbeat if he ever fell to #10. Not going to happen.

#5-Vince Young-Sure he has a quirky throwing motion. Sure he ran a wierd offense. Denny will not pass on this kid if he falls to #10. The best advice I ever heard on scouting Young was this: Blot out Young and his arm and just watch the ball as it is delivered to the reciever. Do that and its amazing how you will change your opinion of the kid.

#6-Jay Cutler-Denny tried to convince us all that Josh McCown was another Brett Favre, now he has a chance to take the guy scouts are saying is the next Brett Favre.

#7-Mario Williams-Williams is a guy who is probably much higher on other draft boards, but as Green has mentioned before, the best player available theory is relative to the Cards needs and defensive end is not a need. I still think the Cards would take him is he fell to #10 and the other guys ahead of him were all gone. To great of a talent.

#8-Micheal Huff-Great talent, plays a position of need (FS) and a good kid. May be the one guy who could make the biggest impact immediately for the Cards.

#9-Vernon Davis-As awesome as he is, do we really need another guy to catch 80 passes? I'm sure we will consider him, but I think Green like Adam Bergen alot and again the best player available thing has to also fit a place of need. That's why I have Davis at #9 and not higher. He could still go to the Cards if the others ahead of him are gone and he is available.

#10-Winston Justice-I know alot of people don't think he belongs this high, but I think Green sees him as a projection and a guy who if he stayed in school another year and came out next year, may have been higher rated that Fergesun.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Holian said:
This is not a mock draft. I am not projecting where I think guys will go and I haven't done near the research this year to begin to look beyond the 3 round for the Cards. But based on what I have read and what I have heard, here's what I see the Cards draft board looking like (players #1-10) and why they are ranked as such.

I am basing this judgement on a few few factors. Dennis Green has said he takes the best player available, but he also has said that his best player available may be different from everyone else because team need factors in significantly in determining the best player available. So here goes:

#1. D'Brickashaw Fergesun-If he somehow fell to #5, I could see the Cards making a pitch to move up and take him. I saw him in the senior bowl practices and saw a number of Virginia games this season and he is awesome.

#2. Matt Leinart-He is a younger, stronger version of Kurt Warner. Supersmart guy who throws a ball that is perfect for our recievers. Sure we run a timing offense, but we don't run the type the Rams run with smallish super fast recievers catching the ball in stride and taking it the distance. We have superbig, supertalented, physical recievers who make great adjustments on deep ball and Leinart throws a sweet catchable ball and his forte is throwing to a spot and letting guys go get it.

#3-AJ Hawk-The only defensive player I see us considering trading up for. He is a great, great player who happens to play a position of need (weakside linebacker, or middlebacker if necessary)

#4-Reggie Bush-Don't need a back, but Green would still take Bush in a heartbeat if he ever fell to #10. Not going to happen.

#5-Vince Young-Sure he has a quirky throwing motion. Sure he ran a wierd offense. Denny will not pass on this kid if he falls to #10. The best advice I ever heard on scouting Young was this: Blot out Young and his arm and just watch the ball as it is delivered to the reciever. Do that and its amazing how you will change your opinion of the kid.

#6-Jay Cutler-Denny tried to convince us all that Josh McCown was another Brett Favre, now he has a chance to take the guy scouts are saying is the next Brett Favre.

#7-Mario Williams-Williams is a guy who is probably much higher on other draft boards, but as Green has mentioned before, the best player available theory is relative to the Cards needs and defensive end is not a need. I still think the Cards would take him is he fell to #10 and the other guys ahead of him were all gone. To great of a talent.

#8-Micheal Huff-Great talent, plays a position of need (FS) and a good kid. May be the one guy who could make the biggest impact immediately for the Cards.

#9-Vernon Davis-As awesome as he is, do we really need another guy to catch 80 passes? I'm sure we will consider him, but I think Green like Adam Bergen alot and again the best player available thing has to also fit a place of need. That's why I have Davis at #9 and not higher. He could still go to the Cards if the others ahead of him are gone and he is available.

#10-Winston Justice-I know alot of people don't think he belongs this high, but I think Green sees him as a projection and a guy who if he stayed in school another year and came out next year, may have been higher rated that Fergesun.

I asked this on another thread, but have the Cardinals ever traded up in the first round? I don't have the best memory in the world so if somebody could show a time when the Cardinals traded up in the first round it would be appreciated.

nurnay

whatever
Reaction score
DieHardFromMO said:
I asked this on another thread, but have the Cardinals ever traded up in the first round? I don't have the best memory in the world so if somebody could show a time when the Cardinals traded up in the first round it would be appreciated.

I don't ever recall them trading up. They'vecertainly traded down a number of times. However, Denny is unlikely to trade up from #10, it's just not his style.

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
Holian said:

Nice take. I'd move Davis up the board though - ahead of VY. I'd also have to say that Reggie Bush has to be #1 on everyone's board. Most teams would never give up what you would need to to go to #1 to take him and given the glaring holes in Houston - they're dying for someone to bust the bank to trade up to #1.

seesred

Reaction score
Cards traded up to number 3 in 1993 with the Jets and took Garrison Hearst .I was wrong about Swann.

GBR

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't think that the Cards have Jay Cutler anywhere near the Top 20 on their board. Matt Leinart might be in to Top 10, but I don't think he's #2. I'd bet that Vince Young is the only QB in the Cards' Top 15, since he has the upside that I don't think the others do (Cutler is the next Kyle Boller), and no rookie QB is going to be starting for two years.

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Solid take and well considered.

I disagree with your thoughts on Bush, though. Call me a Koolaid drinker but I think that we have a better NFL calibre back in James. Also, he wouldn't touch the ball enough to justify taking him.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
Given this senario, I'd have to believe that they'd be thinking about Ngata at this point. But, they are the experts and maybe have seen something on film that makes then believe Justice can help big at RT now. Has bigtime potential. If they take Justice, I'd be guessing they do not have a lot of confidence in Ross.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Not a bad list. I'd differ on a couple. The previous poster mentions Ngata and he has to be high on that list. On a need basis, I can't see Williams in the to 10. I'll stick with my view that Justice is too high, though someone may reach for him. Finally, I don't see Cutler or Young as sure things. If I had to take one it would be Cutler, because he fits the offense better. Young is a fabulous athlete and had an outstanding season, but it remains to be see if can adapt his game to being a pocket QB.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Just curious. If you get a lefthanded QB to replace a righty what adjustments do you have to make to your offensive line?

Last edited:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Harry said:
Not a bad list. I'd differ on a couple. The previous poster mentions Ngata and he has to be high on that list. On a need basis, I can't see Williams in the to 10. I'll stick with my view that Justice is too high, though someone may reach for him. Finally, I don't see Cutler or Young as sure things. If I had to take one it would be Cutler, because he fits the offense better. Young is a fabulous athlete and had an outstanding season, but it remains to be see if can adapt his game to being a pocket QB.

I agree completely and I just have this feeling we will see Young end up a Cardinal.

If he falls to us they will take him, not that he will or that we should but I'd almost bank on it if he does.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Harry said:

The games also adapt to athletic QB's in a big way - the Staubacks,Tarkintons,Bradshaws,Youngs,McNabbs - they all develeped and the game changed around their talent. VY is worth a risk at 10. He could win the big ones.

Last edited:

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
Harry said:
Finally, I don't see Cutler or Young as sure things. If I had to take one it would be Cutler, because he fits the offense better. Young is a fabulous athlete and had an outstanding season, but it remains to be see if can adapt his game to being a pocket QB.

Ah, finally, a voice of reason.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you may have Justice rated just a tad too high. The War Room, for example, has him going at around #19.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
great post again by holian.....he is realisitc and echoing what he said...what is realistic is

if young is there we will take him
huff can without a doubt make an immediate impact...at FS if everyone is taken ahead he will be the guy then we go into OL 2/3/.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i just don't get why everybody is so high on a qb that hasn't shown the urgentcy to prepare and perform when he needs to. i don't get why everyone thinks a guy that been projected to be a wr before the championship game is all of sudden a franchise qb. if you want a qb that is projected to be a wr, then go after brad smith of missourri. a whole lot more talented than vince young. most of vince young highligts are of him running the ball. i thought that is why the cardinals signed edgerrin james, to run the ball. if the cardinals want another running back, then draft the reggie bush. vince young has to many question marks to take that high. i would take a chance on vince young in the 3rd or 4th and see how he developes then. if he turns out to be the stud that some of you think he is, then pay the man. until then i would not pay millions to someone to ride the bench for 2 years.

spanky1

Reaction score
vinnymac said:
i just don't get why everybody is so high on a qb that hasn't shown the urgentcy to prepare and perform when he needs to. i don't get why everyone thinks a guy that been projected to be a wr before the championship game is all of sudden a franchise qb. if you want a qb that is projected to be a wr, then go after brad smith of missourri. a whole lot more talented than vince young. most of vince young highligts are of him running the ball. i thought that is why the cardinals signed edgerrin james, to run the ball. if the cardinals want another running back, then draft the reggie bush. vince young has to many question marks to take that high. i would take a chance on vince young in the 3rd or 4th and see how he developes then. if he turns out to be the stud that some of you think he is, then pay the man. until then i would not pay millions to someone to ride the bench for 2 years.

You are the only person that I am aware of that has suggested that VY was projected to be a WR at any time....eiher before the NCAA game against USC or previously during his collegiate career. Where the heck did you come up with this idea?

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
You are the only person that I am aware of that has suggested that VY was projected to be a WR at any time....eiher before the NCAA game against USC or previously during his collegiate career. Where the heck did you come up with this idea?

This is from Scouts Inc, so maybe this is what he meant.

Prior to the significant improvements that Young made as a passer between his sophomore and junior seasons; it was our opinion that Young would need to make a position change in order to make a living in the NFL. However, he has made significant strides in terms of his arm strength, accuracy and vertical passing abilities over the course of the last year.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
vinnymac said:

Urgency to prepare? You simply swallow anything the media tells you, huh? What, outside of the farcical crucifiction of Young for not throwing at the combine, tells you he doesn't have said urgency? Your outrageous falsehood about the 'projected WR' idea has already been debunked. You don't want us to draft him? Great, that's cool. Let's just not make things up, eh?

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Stout said:
Urgency to prepare? You simply swallow anything the media tells you, huh? What, outside of the farcical crucifiction of Young for not throwing at the combine, tells you he doesn't have said urgency? Your outrageous falsehood about the 'projected WR' idea has already been debunked. You don't want us to draft him? Great, that's cool. Let's just not make things up, eh?

first of all i am not making things up. second of all why would the media be making these things up? isn't the media supposed to be hyping this kid up, instead of knocking him down. there is sometimes truth in media and not a lot of smoke screens.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Stout said:

Slow down there, Stout. You're gettin hysterical again. There are tons of "maturity" red flags out there on Vince Young. Just a few:

1) Hired a "family friend" as an agent who's never had experience with a prospect of Young's caliber and has not showed an understanding of what it takes to handle such a prospect.

2) Was unpreparted to take the Wunderlic exam at the Combine, resulting in his first subliterate score and the second underperforming score. Young was unprepared to take this exam.

3) Was unprepared to run the 40 at his campus workout. Was unwilling to run short or long shuttle drills at campus workout. Had to be CONVINCED to run 40 at campus workout.

4) Runs with a posse, the head of which is apparently an Austin nightclub owner know as "Black."

5) Was unprepared for interviews at the Combine.

Basically, since declaring for the NFL Draft, Vince Young hasn't made a lot of great decisions. I still like him at #10, but to say that he's as clean as Matt Leinart doesn't make any sense.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Come on K9, those are hardly 'maturity issues' you have brought up here. Someone like Winston Justice has 'maturity issues' because he has had his fair share of incidents at USC.

Hiring a family friend as an agent isn't what I would call a 'maturity issue'. A mistake? It looks like it based on what I have seen so far and this whole wonderlic fiasco. But I don't see how that is a maturity issue? He made a mistake with an agent - he isn't the first and won't be the last in that regard.

As far as the 40 at his personal workout. You don't HAVE to run at your personal workout. From everything I have read the questions are about his ability to run a pro offense, arm strength, arm mechanics etc - not his physical talent. So it cracks me up when suddenly Young doesn't plan to run that it's a big deal. And then when he is goaded into running at his workout everyone is 'OMG he isn't that fast' even though he wasn't prepared to run or anticipated having to run the 40 at his workout.

The fact that he runs with posse shouldn't be an issue ether. Your boy Adam Jones runs with a posse. But it's a big deal when Young does? I would gurantee that there are tons of pro athletes that run with a posse in the NFL and it doesn't affect them one way or another.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser