The Cards cannot and will not beat Pittsburgh

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And so it begins

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]I love the Arizona Cardinals' story, and what it has meant for Kurt Warner and Ken Whisenhunt and Larry Fitzgerald and a whole lot of deserving people you aren't used to seeing this time of year. But that story is about to end.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The Cards cannot and will not beat Pittsburgh, and I'll tell you why in three words: Defense, defense, defense. Pittsburgh has it. Arizona does not. At least it doesn't have it as often as the Steelers, which is four quarters of every game. [/FONT]

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11275159

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Pitt is the one team that I really can't see AZ beating. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if they did. The Cardinals are currently playing as well as I've seen any team play this year.

It's not all about talent, it's about getting hot at the right time. Look at my Cowboys. Probably the most talented ROSTER in the league, but they are a freaking mess when it comes to coaching, teamwork, etc.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Pitt is the one team that I really can't see AZ beating. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if they did. The Cardinals are currently playing as well as I've seen any team play this year.

It's not all about talent, it's about getting hot at the right time. Look at my Cowboys. Probably the most talented ROSTER in the league, but they are a freaking mess when it comes to coaching, teamwork, etc.

Between the Ravens and the Steelers.

We have a better shot at beating the Steelers, so I was happy the Steelers won yesterday.

The Steelers blitz a lot, have a good SS but the rest of the secondary (while good) is where I see the Cardinals having an oppourtunity to move the ball.

This is almost the same defense (at least as it is set up) as we faced this Sunday.

I think the Cardinal have a good shot at pulling off another upset.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Between the Ravens and the Steelers.

We have a better shot at beating the Steelers, so I was happy the Steelers won yesterday.

The Steelers blitz a lot, have a good SS but the rest of the secondary (while good) is where I see the Cardinals having an oppourtunity to move the ball.

This is almost the same defense (at least as it is set up) as we faced this Sunday.

I think the Cardinal have a good shot at pulling off another upset.

I do too...I don't want to put the whammy on them but two things come to mind....we beat essentially the same team last year....Grimm and KW know Steeler personnel and playbook better than they know the Cards...or at least as well, that can't hurt.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards weren't supposed to beat the Steelers two years ago at the Jiffy Pop.

Cards 21, Steelers 14.

I think it would be easy to overstate Whisenhunt's ability to game plan the Steelers. It's a different team than the one he left. But I'd be more careful not to underplay the Steeler's lack of offense and the Cards' ability to spread out that Steelers defense in a way the AFC playoff teams couldn't.

How do you make Troy Polamalu a non-entity? How do you keep those linebackers from making plays in your backfield? Those are two really good questions I'm betting for which Whis and Haley are finding answers as we speak.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is so true, because the Cards really don't have an answer for Terrell Suggs, and that kind of pass rusher that allows that defense to keep extra personnel in pass coverage is poison to the Cards' offense.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

To Clark Judge,

"The Cards cannot and will not beat Pittsburgh"

*Yawn*

Tell Gene Wojciechowski that and see what he thinks.

Cause the Cardinals had no shot at beating Philly.

Same with the Panthers

Same with the Falcons

And before this whole thing started the Cardinals were the worse playoff team ever, and should have conceded their playoff spot to the Patriots.

Did I miss anything?

Save it. There is still a game to play, and it will be a great game against two good teams.

But hey, I should thank you the Cardinals feed off of this kind a press. I guess they like the challenge and the oppourtunity to make shock journalist look the fool.

But as I said there is still a game to be played, so whether you a prophet or another hack trying to get his name out with shock journalism will be determined.

Thanks for the locker room material.

Joe Millard
Cardinals fan
Milmay, NJ

Anyone else:
http://www.cbssports.com/columns/writers/judge

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
This is so true, because the Cards really don't have an answer for Terrell Suggs, and that kind of pass rusher that allows that defense to keep extra personnel in pass coverage is poison to the Cards' offense.

Or Ed Reed, or a healthy Ravens secondary.

Magoo

Yinzer
Reaction score
Some of you are starting to enter into Ohio State fans territory with your media mentality.

Clark Judge and Pete Prisco write columns that argue the point for a team or issue weekly. You'll see the same thing done several times over the next two weeks on all major sports websites.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think everyone is secretly rooting for us to be providing such juicy motivation morsels.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We beat Pitt last season.

Whis and Grimm KNOW that team in depth. They do not know us. We have two weeks to prepare for a team we already have a book on. A big, thick book.

I think we will be very prepared, and I think we have a GREAT shot to win.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Arizona doesn't have defense, eh? Have they not watched the last three games?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Whis and Grimm KNOW that team in depth. They do not know us. We have two weeks to prepare for a team we already have a book on. A big, thick book.

Indeed.....many years of Whis's offense practicing against LeBeau's defense are going to pay off come SuperBowl time.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
Are they just printing the same articles every week and just changing the name of the Cards' opponent?

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Really these guys write these articles as sort of a debate point format.

I'll be happy when the day comes that Cardinal fans are so self confident nothing anyone says matters at all.

I think we're just about there myself.

That drive oozed championship quality, it was everything you want out of a champion and more.

We have nothing to prove to anyone but the players have the last bit of unfinished business to attend to for themselves and all the fans, that's all.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Arizona doesn't have defense, eh? Have they not watched the last three games?

All 12 of the turnovers for Cards opponents have been unforced errors and the Cardinals didn't stop the run their opponents have just decided to stop calling running plays.

Reaction score
All 12 of the turnovers for Cards opponents have been unforced errors and the Cardinals didn't stop the run their opponents have just decided to stop calling running plays.

I think it's mainly due to how explosive and deadly your offense has been lately. They put up points fast and force other teams to give up on the run and start passing because they're playing from behind.

I've seen a few comments here - such as thinking the Ravens defense would be harder then ours... Completely false - we're fairly even but we have a much bigger edge when it comes to pass defense and sacks... Troy is a much more complete safety then Reed, but also brings the same ball hawking abilities Reed does (Remember Troy was leading the NFL in INT's for 3/4 of the season). If you guys think Suggs is the only LB who can bring a pass rush, you are underestimating the #1 Sack duo in the NFL this year in DPOY James Harrison and LaMaar Woodley.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's mainly due to how explosive and deadly your offense has been lately. They put up points fast and force other teams to give up on the run and start passing because they're playing from behind.

I've seen a few comments here - such as thinking the Ravens defense would be harder then ours... Completely false - we're fairly even but we have a much bigger edge when it comes to pass defense and sacks... Troy is a much more complete safety then Reed, but also brings the same ball hawking abilities Reed does (Remember Troy was leading the NFL in INT's for 3/4 of the season). If you guys think Suggs is the only LB who can bring a pass rush, you are underestimating the #1 Sack duo in the NFL this year in DPOY James Harrison and LaMaar Woodley.

I agree with your analysis. I felt the Ravens D actuallyt overachieved a bit. Your defense is better from top to bottom.

I'm glad we got the Steelers because I wanted to go against the best, with no asterisk win or lose. I didn't want to hear that we beat, or lost, to a team with a rookie QB and a rookie coach. Now, we can just continue to have our "Let's ball, we've got nothing to lose mentality."

Preacher

Rookie
Reaction score

It was a much bigger deal last year. Most of line has changed. the plays have changed quite a bit. The defense has changed in scheme. If Whiz preps for the 06 or 07 steelers, there will be lots of surprised waiting for him.

The other thing is, we know Whiz and Grimm in depth, which means the players know how the will scheme.

But again, players--- and coaches change.

Reaction score
It was a much bigger deal last year. Most of line has changed. the plays have changed quite a bit. The defense has changed in scheme. If Whiz preps for the 06 or 07 steelers, there will be lots of surprised waiting for him.

The other thing is, we know Whiz and Grimm in depth, which means the players know how the will scheme.

But again, players--- and coaches change.

I think one of the biggest changes is that we've got our toughness back. Last year it seemed lacking, we were being out physicaled (i made it up?), out hit, out toughed. It seems we have our mojo back in that department. Hopefully for Card's sake they don't plan on seeing the same defense as they saw last year!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
You know, the media are eventually are gonna be right.:mulli:

Just not this season!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05