The first problem with this team is ...

Cardiologist

Veteran
Reaction score
the offensive live. There is really only one player on the OLine worth keeping. The rest are big, fat and non-athletic.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardiologist
the offensive live. There is really only one player on the OLine worth keeping. The rest are big, fat and non-athletic.

The OLine played poorly, there's no doubt. I think that it is premature to write off Leonard Davis on his first game back. His ankles are still sore and he's probably not in his best game shape. Kendall is awesome. I'm not happy with AC. LJ would probably look a whole lot better if the rest of the line were playing well. Spikes is 'ok'. Nothing more, nothing less.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When we lost grutt and moved kendall to center, we basically lost a great guard, and kept even at center.

With AC not playing well, and Big being hurt and this week being like his 3rd preseason game, with garcias suspension, and roundtree (very solid last year) out with spleen surgery, and the fact that Blake doesn't have Jakes mobility its not inconceivable our ol was going to take a step back.

We need to complement our big guys with a few younger athletic olineman like denver. Then we could smash 'em with our big guys or humiliate them with our small guys.

I didn't like that comment by who was it laroi glover? When he said they were big but didn't have good feet. The problem is its what we've all been seeing for years. We haven't been outmuscled, we've been out run, out juked, and just flat aren't quick enough.

Your line might get away with one guy possibly two if on opposite sides of the line, but when all your big guys starting except kendall fall in this category, with many teams you will be in trouble.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't like that comment by who was it laroi glover? When he said they were big but didn't have good feet.
Maybe. Maybe not.

You can compensate for lack of great feet with mental alertness, better anticipation and technique.

A bigger concern I have has more to do with our (lack of) quickness off the ball. If THEIR guys were more concerned about being blown back and being on roller skates, they'd be less inlined to rip into our backfield to blow up plays.

Our O-line lacks explosion. It gives the other side the initiative and then our guys have trouble "reacting to it." The way to flip this is for our guys to be first off the ball and make the other team react to us.

Our offensive line can become better than decent IF the following happens -

- Clement shows up to play.

- Shelton shows up to play.

- Leonard shakes off the rust and his ankle is improving

- We shift Kendall back to LG

- We start Garcia at C

None of this is impossible. In fact, I'd say that it's so possible that player and coaching heads should roll at the end of the season if the O-line doesn't show better execution and effort.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
For most football teams the center calls offensive blocking signals.

Since Kendall is new to the position, I wonder if there have been any problems in this area?

Might be a question for Brighteyes to ask Kendall on how he and the rest of the OL have adjusted to Pete's making the blocking calls.

It could be that with the number of different people who have played center over the past 2-3 years that the group has never become comfortable with the signals and could be the cause of what appear to be more than a normal amount of blown assignments.

Last edited: