the league office needs to apologize for that last non-call

OP
OP
Brak

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here’s my question was it not reviewed because the time ran out?

No. If there is a penalty on the defense and time runs out during the play, the offense gets one untimed play - which in this case would have resulted in the chip-shot FG attempt to send the game to OT.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roger has everything to do with it with idiotic rules and tainting a product that is turning off fans. Empty seats are all over the league not just in Tampa.
The rules are established by the Rules Committee made up of coaches/GMs/ex players/owners. They make the decisions, not Roger. Of course the NFL franchises suffer from empty seat syndrome. The best teams sell out. The suck teams do not.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
do we know that the league didn't review the play at the end of the game?

should have been PI, but we made so many idiotic mistakes, ran so much time off the clock for no reason and played such horrific D at the end, that I'm not going to lose my crap over a heave in the air that had some contact on it with zeroes on the clock because we had been so pathetic previous.

Considering all of the officials ran off the field, it's a pretty safe assumption. I would be fine if they reviewed it and said it wasn't pi but not even looking at it is inexcusable

OP
OP
Brak

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Roger has everything to do with it with idiotic rules and tainting a product that is turning off fans. Empty seats are all over the league not just in Tampa.

Yes - live attendance is on the decline all over the league. And it looks like the networks have been asked not to show it - they seem to be intentionally avoiding "crowd" shots, and when a quick one sneaks on air, you see seas of empty seats in MANY cities.

Idiots like Florio at PFT will hit you with stats about how great TV ratings were for a particular game or weekend, but you won't see him writing anything about actual game attendance, because it's not a pretty sight in too many cities.

OP
OP
Brak

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't remember any "hail Marys" being reviewed.

Not reviewable before this year - how many hail Marys have you seen this year? And I wouldn't even call that last play one anyways, not that it should matter.

The rule stinks, period. Judgment calls should be made on the field. If a ref is grossly incompetent, like the idiot who swallowed his whistle right behind this obvious foul, they should be held accountable and fired when appropriate - which would be in this case IMHO.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching the Rams play the Steelers.

PI called and the guy barely touches him.

This is the problem. Not consistent at all. It's all up to the refs and how they feel about it. Even if it's in their face they don't call it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

should have been PI, but we made so many idiotic mistakes, ran so much time off the clock for no reason and played such horrific D at the end, that I'm not going to lose my crap over a heave in the air that had some contact on it with zeroes on the clock because we had been so pathetic previous.

It wasn't even a close call. If the play was reviewed it had to be called pass interference. Why it wasn't called or reviewed I don't know.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
You can’t control what the referees do, but Maxx Williams can catch a ball floated into his hands. I don’t think pass interference should be reviewable.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can’t control what the referees do, but Maxx Williams can catch a ball floated into his hands. I don’t think pass interference should be reviewable.

Today was an example of why it should be reviewed. That was clear cut pass interference on the final play.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Today was an example of why it should be reviewed. That was clear cut pass interference on the final play.
Meh can’t hope the refs bail you out on a bang-bang Hail Mary all as time expires. Not when you try your best to lose the game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh can’t hope the refs bail you out on a bang-bang Hail Mary all as time expires. Not when you try your best to lose the game.

Maybe it shouldn't come down to the final play. However, the game should be called the same all day.

They booth reviewed and called pass interference on the Cardinals in the endzone This was an even more important call to get right.... they should look at it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering all of the officials ran off the field, it's a pretty safe assumption. I would be fine if they reviewed it and said it wasn't pi but not even looking at it is inexcusable

If they looked at it they had to call it. The receiver was hit hard before the ball got there. I don't see any other interpretation.

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
Was at the game. < 40% full. I have not been to such an empty stadium sine Corey Dillon torched us for 17,000 yards in cinicinatti

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Refs have always allowed alot more contact on Hail Mary's. Stands to reason review both would do the same

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Refs have always allowed alot more contact on Hail Mary's. Stands to reason review both would do the same

True but with the new rules in place they should've still looked at it. They opened pandora's box and they can't close it again

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So if its a hail mary you get to grab a bit more....gotcha. KK should call Hail Marys every play vs SF.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The non-call at the end of the game and the bogus call on the uncatchable ball that gave TB a 1st & 1 at the one were laughable; but we screwed up on so many other plays that it's tough to get really mad.

My biggest beef, though, is that the number of "reviews" is so time and momentum killing - it hurts the game.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
NFL refs are just as bad as the NBA. Some of the calls are laughable. The stupid NFL rule with less than two minutes all reviews are BOOTH only. It completely takes the challenge out of your hands if you have one. Moronic rule if there ever was one

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but the clock was at 0. If they reviewed it and gave us the PI would we even have any time to kick a fg?

yes the game can't end on a defensive penalty so we get one untimed down to kick the tying FG and forec OT.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed on all counts but at the end of the day that's a PI, they called 3 iffy PI's in the prior 2 minutes of the game and don't call the most obvious one because it's the last play. Doesn't sit well