the most important question, the 2nd rnd pick

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I like many have placed my observations on who the Cards will pick or want to pick in the 1st round but the serious draft thinking comes with the secound round pick. I like Sean Taylor in round one but would also be happy with a number of other players... Fitz, Roy Williams, Mike Williams, Winslow, Gallery, and yes even the QBs (maybe even Rivers). It is hard for me to think we could screw up in the 1st but the second round if where the Cards must get a quality player who will make an impact. If we could nab a good CB or DT, then this draft will be a success along with one of the blue chippers in round one. The success and luck of Boldin (and that pick saved our a$s) from last year is a crucial selection in this draft...who do we pick?

I'm thinking now Marcus Tubbs DT from UT to beef up the DL.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What Denny actually said about getting a player they really like at #33 - was that he and Rod have made a list of 33 players he really likes in this draft and "whether we get the 5th best player or 33rd best player on our list, we're going to be very happy with the pick.

Comment was made by Skkorp that Denny expects to land "players with the #3 and #33 picks who can help us immediately."

If so, you can narrow your list down to eliminate players who are either (a) raw but high upsiders or (b) boom or bust types.

Tubbs is considered by many as a boom or bust type.

I'm guessing that at #33, we'll take a CB if we take Fitz at #3 or a WR if we take Taylor or Winslow.

If we take a CB, it probably wouldn't be raw guys like Colclaugh or small guys like Vasher and Ratliff. More likely it would be someone like Ware, Poole, Strait orLeSeuer.

If we take a WR, it probably will be a big guy who's fairly polished - Woods, Evans, Clayton and Jenkins would be high on my list.

That's just my guess.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jeff: IMO Rookie cbs rarely contribute and many get burnt. CB is a very difficult position and normally takes several years to develop. Denny could be targeting an rb, og/c, dt or lb.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
What Denny actually said about getting a player they really like at #33 - was that he and Rod have made a list of 33 players he really likes in this draft and "whether we get the 5th best player or 33rd best player on our list, we're going to be very happy with the pick.

Comment was made by Skkorp that Denny expects to land "players with the #3 and #33 picks who can help us immediately."

If so, you can narrow your list down to eliminate players who are either (a) raw but high upsiders or (b) boom or bust types.

Tubbs is considered by many as a boom or bust type.

I'm guessing that at #33, we'll take a CB if we take Fitz at #3 or a WR if we take Taylor or Winslow.

If we take a CB, it probably wouldn't be raw guys like Colclaugh or small guys like Vasher and Ratliff. More likely it would be someone like Ware, Poole, Strait orLeSeuer.

If we take a WR, it probably will be a big guy who's fairly polished - Woods, Evans, Clayton and Jenkins would be high on my list.

That's just my guess.

My view is the same considering that some very good DTs will be there in the 3rd. There are 10 DTs with "boom bust" potential and some should still be around in the third. Cornerback should be thin by the third IMO

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A couple possible "curves"

Julius Jones-RB-Notre Dame. We need a "speed" back (read that he was very impressive in/and preparing for the Senior Bowl) and/or Daryl Rogers-ILB-Georgia Tech. I think Fischers' (sp?) knees have the staff concerned and Rogers is the 3rd best LB after Vilma & Williams who most likely will go in the 1st. ...And even though it seems we have a strong need at DT, I think the coaches want to work w/ Bryant etc. to see if they can "salvage" anything. LOTS of $$ tied up there.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
The SOONER we pick a CB or LB the better.

How about Derrick Strait (CB) or Teddy Lehman (LB)?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
2nd Round Pick

For the past two months, assuming that we get Fitzgerald in the first round, I was pretty sure that we'd go defense in the 2nd and just wasn't sure which position. First, I figured CB (Strait), then DT (Tubbs) and then, with DG talking about a lack of LB depth, thought OLB (Dansby) or with a trade down, Lehman. Well, with a week to go, I believe that DG knows that he can't fix both the offense and defense with this draft. So he concentrates on the "O" and in the 2nd Round the Cards pick TE, BEN WATSON, Georgia. Not only a safe pick but he helps light a fire under Freddie Jones but immediately gives the team an excellent two tight end set. JMO.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Fitz is gone when it is our turn to pick, our red phone will be ringing off the wall. Let's assume Manning and Fitzgerald are gone and we are on the clock.

The easy way out? Taylor, Gallery or Winslow. This site will be divided, no matter which of the three we ended up with. But why take the easy way?

The options.
1. Gallery. The Giants(if they didn't already trade up to land Manning),the Redskins(now in the mix), Browns( no great secret here) and Bears( to low of pick) would love to land Gallery. I have to add the Chargers if they are at #4 because of a trade with the Giants. For sake of this post, I'm eliminating the Giants and inserting the Chargers at #4. The Skins and Browns would know for sure that Gallery won't get past the Chargers or whoever picks #4. I say whoever because the Chargers could trade down numerous times before this is over. Phones ringing. Its the Redskins.
Ok Redskins. Give us Samuel and your #5 pick for our #3 pick. What happens?
Redskins take Gallery, Chargers up. They, at that point probably take
Rothlisberger.
Cardinals on the board chose Taylor or Winslow.

Phones ringing again. Ok Browns. Give us #7,#37 and Dennis Northcut. What Happens?
Browns take Gallery, Chargers take Rothlisberger , Skins take Winslow, Lions on the clock.
The Lions have to be thinking RB but Taylor is still there. They could very well trade down, but Taylor is going to somebody at #6.

Cards up. With a Redskin trade we get OT Samuel, our choice of Taylor and/or Winslow, and numerous possibilities with the #33 pick.

With the Browns trade, Manning, Fitz, Gallery, Big Ben ,Winslow and Taylor are gone. At #7 we get the best CB,DE,DT or LB( or 2nd best wr if that tickles your fancy), on the board, Northcutt and the 37th pick. Bonus! If somebody slips down to say 20 or 25, we package #33 and #37 to move up and get him.

We all have a bad taste in our mouth from trading down last year. This year maybe the best thing that could happen is for the Raiders to take Fitz.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Stout said:
Slan, you have Gallery going to Washington at #3 and the Browns at #5. I don't think that'll happen.

It could happen.

Does he have a brother or seester?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
Slan, you have Gallery going to Washington at #3 and the Browns at #5. I don't think that'll happen.

I know it gets confusing but I'm saying we could trade our #3 pick to either the Redskins or the Browns. Whoever we would trade with would select Gallery at #3.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
I know it gets confusing but I'm saying we could trade our #3 pick to either the Redskins or the Browns. Whoever we would trade with would select Gallery at #3.

Aha...you need to do some editing to that morass of a post...you didn't list it as #2 and didn't specify what pick the Browns would be trading for...what the post 'says' is that the phone wrings again and we trade down again...now that we know that's not what you meant, it makes some sense. Not trying to be rude, but please edit it so others that start reading the thread can understand. :)

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:

Gallery will be gone by 3, He will either be selected at 1 or 2, no question about it at all. If SD stays at 1 I see them selecting Manning or Gallery, If the Skins move up to 1 they are selecting Gallery, If the Giants move up to 1 they are selecting Manning. If Gallery falls to the 2nd pick Raiders will select Gallery, but most likely the Raiders will trade this pick to the Browns(moving down to 7 giving Oakland a nice spot to draft R Williams) and then Cleavlend Selecting Gallery. I feel the top 2 picks are pretty much interchangable with Gallery and Manning, leaving the Cards Fitz.

At #33
QB-I dont see the Cards selecting a QB
RB-I think is to high to take at 33(I would not be surprised to see them use a 3rd on a RB say if Clarrett or Bell were to fall to an early 3rd round pick)
WR-If the Cards land Fitz, they would be set at WR
TE-I think the Cards are set with Jones
OL- Cards are weak at the RG, RT spot, But I do not see the Cards selecting an O-Lineman this high unless a 1st round value T or G drops to 33
DE's- I don't see the Cards going DE, unless there is a real stud that drops to 33
DT- Wouldn't be surprised considering Kenny King seams to be the only DT that impressed Green.
LB's-I wouldn't be surprised at all if a LB is taken in this spot.
CB's-With Starks, Macklin and Hill, Plus given the fact very rarely do 2nd round CB's give you immediate results, I don't see the Cards taking a CB unless a CB of 1st round value drops to 33.
S-I don't see a need for safety with Wilson and Jackson

This leaves the Cards going DT or LB at 33,if they were to go another position at 33 it would be only if an impact CB,RB or O-lineman were to drop to this spot.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
S-I don't see a need for safety with Wilson and Jackson

I believe that all depends on Wilson. He looked lost several times last year. Hopefully Green's staff can turn Wilson's amazing physical abilities into something productive this year.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
DG imo is targeting a player who he is projecting will fall through the 1st round.
Not only did he draft Moss way back when but he had actually projected that Moss would fall to 21 (revealed after the draft by one of the draft guys).

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
vince56 said:
I believe that all depends on Wilson. He looked lost several times last year. Hopefully Green's staff can turn Wilson's amazing physical abilities into something productive this year.

I think the Wilson talk of moving to CB was only brought up due to the fact of S Taylor and the possibility of the Cards drafting him. This was awhile back when it looked like a long shot that Fitz would be there at 3 and Taylor was a definite possibility for the Cards. But now that the draft is shaping up to look like it's Manning and Gallery at 1 and 2 making Fitz fall to three, the talk of Wilson move to CB has now been very quite. Looks like the Cards are landing Fitz and Wilson is staying at SS.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05