THE Newcastle United FC thread

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So, so sick and tired of the idiot Newcastle fans actually HAPPY they missed European soccer. They swear it will have no negative effect, won't cost us signings, and the loss of revenue won't hurt. Well, it's already cost them a signing--a freaking Bosman transfer that would only have cost agent fees and wages:

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Well, Lloyd Kelly is a fantastic signing, especially on a free. I think a better signing than Tosin A, and that's not sour grapes talking. Yes, loss of European soccer cost us Tosin A, but would we have gotten both? Doubtful. In fact, I wouldn't sign another CB and roll with Alex Murphy as #4 until all the other problem areas are addressed: RW, with Almiron moving out, striker with Wilson moving out, and keeper with Dubravka moving out. I'd also like to see Tripps moved out and another young RB brought in. He saved the club, and I'll love him forever, but you have to be ruthless and it's time to move him on. I'd also like to upgrade on Murphy, but that's never happening in this window.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Man, I'm getting really demoralized over here, especially because Newcastle runs such a tight ship. A good thing for the team overall, but killing my nerves. Here we have a side lacking depth with an aging, always-injured striker going into the last year of his contract and tons of defensive injuries, and the team has...gotten a shrewd FA defensive signing, added a ton of kids that won't help this year, had a fire sale of young talent to make PSR ends meet, brought in 2 non-starting keepers, and are far worse off than they were heading into last season. Not a freaking peep about any concrete signings or contracts in the works.

Operating in silence until the big signing is in the bag and can be announced is a great business model for a club. It just drives me nuts because I want to know ALL THE THINGS! lol

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
This club is really stepping on their own ***** and it's pissing me off. We're a month from the new season, and they aren't sure what their freaking transfer budget is?

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Also, IDGAF if they suddenly, early August, start signing top players, because the damage will already be done. Any players brought in after this week won't be embedded in the squad and prepared nearly enough to start the season. If they don't bring in top talent at multiple positions THIS WEEK, the team is already failing the 2024-2025 season before it starts. Because of course they are, because they're the freaking Magpies *sigh*

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Seriously, what are these freaking muppets doing right now? No signing will be ready for the beginning of the season now, and likely won't be ready for five or six freaking games because tomorrow the team are flying out to Japan and no signings will get a chance to bed in with the team.

IDGAF at the upheaval at the club this summer. If you were to draw up the worst way to go about business and strengthen the team for Newcastle, well, this approach would be worse than that. JFC

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
This team is such a joke right now. Transferring (or rather, not transferring) themselves out of European qualification NEXT season before they even kick a ball. JFC

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
The fix is in, I tell you, and the FA are bent and give Newcastle a bollocking every effing cup draw. What did you say, Newcastle drew away to PL competition in a cup again? For like the fifteenth time in a row? I am shocked, I tell you. Shocked! Anonymous draw my big swinging *******!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Talk about crippling lack of ambition! Newcastle will likely run out a starting 11 featuring Dan Burn and Jacob Murphy. Thought I love Burn and his character, and he helped the team survive, he shouldn't have been in starting contention consistently LAST season, let alone heading into THIS one. Jacob Murphy, he's got some pace and can score a goal, but he's a depth player at best. The team knew they needed multiple CBs, at least one striker, and a RWer heading into the summer. Thus far? A backup striker (okay, having one to develop is fine), NO RW signings, and one free pickup at CB that's not even going to start to begin the season? Woe and strife.

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
That red card had me fuming, but we did not look great to be honest. Got the 3 points thanks to some Southampton incompetence, Nick Pope brilliance, and a bit of luck!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
That red card had me fuming, but we did not look great to be honest. Got the 3 points thanks to some Southampton incompetence, Nick Pope brilliance, and a bit of luck!
#1, **** Southampton. What a bunch of asshats full of bad challenges and simulation.
#2, **** the ref. He lost total control of the game and is personally at fault for that red card. How many times will he allow star players be chopped down over and over without producing a card. He's basically saying, "Go on, Southampton, I'm cool with you hurting someone." 70s era reffing there.

Yes, you're correct @mhill1986, the team played like doggy doo. Unsurprising as Howe often can't motivate the team and the hierarchy have absolutely fumbled the summer window. Embarrassing from board room to the field. Remember losing 3 of the first 4 games last year to start the season. I'll take the result, but that was an embarrassing outing top to bottom.

And oh, if that Muppet gets his leg broken, I'll buy a pint for the guy who does it :)

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Also, how did Diaz not get sent off for a second yellow? Clear yellow for shoving down Fab in the 1st place, already given. Clear yellow for simulation when he went down like he was shot with a .50 cal sniper rifle. Boom, second yellow, and the ref saves himself the embarrassment of losing control of the game. VAR were reviewing the incident anyway and that was a red-card offense.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Guehi with the start at Palace, who are taking the piss with Newcastle. If they had no desire to sell, why bother stringing this along other than to be douchebags? Poetic justice would be for him to get a bunch of niggling injuries this season to scupper his value and then they can pound sand and get less than half what they want for him.

Of course, the new Newcastle hierarchy are looking like a bunch of freaking clowns this summer, so they aren't doing themselves any favors. Instead of a bunch of bids for a few more quid, they should have made a second and best offer, said "Take it or leave it," then walked away when they didn't take it. Instead we're entering the end of the window still begging for a signing and crippling the rest of our window in the process. Height of stupidity.

Europe is a dream right now, let's be realistic.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
If Newcastle is a serious team, they need to win this fixture. Good teams take advantage of easier early schedules. Unfortunately, because of club idiocy in the market, Dan Burn will have to start...again. Kelly damned well better be in the starting lineup, or we did even less in the summer than I thought. I'd rather have Willock in than Longstaff, but I think he sticks with Longstaff. We still don't have a starting RW, so who knows if Murphy or Almiron starts there.

C'mon, Howe-way the lads!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah, the events of this summer have rotted this team to the core. I have no confidence in the club hierarchy and little confidence left in Howe. No effort, no game plan, real dogshit performances. Joelinton a goat as much as he was a hero last season. Nobody is even trying outside of Isak. Stick a fork in this one. Bournemouth will end up winning 3-0 or more unless a miracle happens.

Europe? Don't make me freaking laugh.

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
Somehow we've scraped 4 points, but we could very easily be at 1 or 0. Joelinton was bad, Gordon was invisible, goal aside, and Isak was left trying to dribble past the entire Bournemouth squad by himself. Honestly, the way they started the game, I thought they would perform fantastically, but it seems like if they don't get a goal in that first 10 minutes, they shrink back the rest of the game. Also, after we got our goal, I know we wanted to go for the win, but we became extremely open when they were possessing the ball. We were just inviting them to score a second goal.

On a positive note, I'm excited to see tonali come back, and even though the money we might spend on Guehi is completely ridiculous, a backline of Botman and Guehi with with Schar and Burn as backup would be fantastic. I think that deal will get done, and I suppose I leave it to them to deal with the financial mess it may create.

Apparently Howe doesn't like the idea of starting both Barnes and Gordon (or neither player is willing to play on the right), but that may be our best option. I say, if we do start both, put Barnes on the right because you want your best players (like Gordon) in their best positions. I do wish we would have signed a cheaper center back and a right-winger though.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
At this point, double eff Palace. I wouldn't take Guehi now if they paid the Mags to sign him. Still negotiating and you cup tie him? Yeah, they can eff right off. Newcastle should move on, now. Not that I have any faith they'll sign a single player. freaking joke, man.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I'm really starting to hate this team. Forrest are starting a B-side and are dominating this game. It's a Benitez performance..."Well, the blanket's only so long. If we venture forward, it leaves us exposed at the back!"

Newcastle feel allergic to getting into the final 3rd. Against B-side Nottingham Forrest.

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
I really hope this is not the pattern for every match for the rest of the year. Play well for 5 or 10 minutes and then nothing the rest of the game. Three games, three lucky results against bad opponents. Yikes.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I really hope this is not the pattern for every match for the rest of the year. Play well for 5 or 10 minutes and then nothing the rest of the game. Three games, three lucky results against bad opponents. Yikes.
Yeah, this was bloody awful. As bad as it gets without losing. Considering a draw wasn't possible, that's pretty bad.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Oh, and Willock is a total write off. It's a real shame. He's a hell of a player on his day. He just doesn't have many days left any longer. Injury has ruined his career. We need to move on and buy his replacement within, um, two days :(

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
No Guehi...fine, but it looks like it might be no signings period. My son is a Liverpool fan, so I have an app set to alert me when they make a move and when Newcastle make a move. I get notifications once every few days that Liverpool have either sold or bought somebody (mostly selling young talent), but I never get any news about Newcastle. I'm not saying we need to go crazy, because I think there's something to be said for continuity, but this...it feels like something is wrong behind the scenes.

Two days to make something happen. We have two obvious needs, and it would be a shame if neither is met. At the same time, I just want the window to end at this point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pprat