The Official Anti Matt Mantei Rant Thread!

AZZenny

Reaction score
I seem to recall last season Tommy Jones commenting that Jose had always had "focus" problems in the minors and the organization was really surprised by how he well reacted to the pressure of closing - unexpectedly rose to the occasion.

I say, throw him back into the closer's role NOW and see what happens. It cannot be worse, and if what he needs is that extra adrenaline to keep his head clear, well - pour it on. Meanwhile, Mantei can pout, but if he wants to be a closer, he has to earn his way back.

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
AZZenny said:

I say, throw him back into the closer's role NOW and see what happens. It cannot be worse, and if what he needs is that extra adrenaline to keep his head clear, well - pour it on. Meanwhile, Mantei can pout, but if he wants to be a closer, he has to earn his way back.
Definitely worth trying! Closers with far less than a 50% success rate can't claim inherent rights to the job!

sundevilscott

Kaycee's Daddy
Reaction score
I tried to give Matt a ton of chances in my own head. I made excuses but I have had it now!! Finley hits 3 jacks and just as quick Mantei gives up his normal 9th inning HR. Put a fork in Matt!!

moviebuff316

Registered
Reaction score
Mantei should be shot down as middle relief until he gets his mechanics and confidence back up. Then he should be put back in the Closer role.. Valverde has been shaky as well.. Actually you can say that about the whole bullpen...Hope this doesnt become a mental thing.

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
moviebuff316 said:
Mantei should be shot down as middle relief until he gets his mechanics and confidence back up..
Last night wasn't a real closer role either since D'backs entered the 9th inning tied. Conventional wisdom, however, often has home team managers using their official closer to pitch the 9th and possibly 10th innings in tie game situations.

If the D'backs don't score early in extra innings, Mantei would still almost be certain to come into the game at some point--you'd think that facing the bottom half of the Cubs order against right-handed batters was placing him in optimum position to have success... BB "may" have been thinking of using Valverde against their stronger batters... but so much for "thinking" when Mantei serves up the fat fastballs that hitters are waiting for.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know what they say about hindsight, however, this is where logic should have been used by Joe G. Jr. and CO....

We all know that Mantei didnt pitch much during ST because of his nail-ailment... It takes about 10 outings in ST for a closer to establish their form and unfortunately Mantei probably didnt get his 10th appearance well into the first couple weeks of the regular season.... They should have kept in Tucson for an extended ST and should have used Valverde as a closer regardless of how he performed... Why? Because Valverde would have been on a mission to prove that he belongs as a closer and would have excelled in that role...I believe why he lacks any confidence or drive at times is that he feels that regardless of how well he does, he'll be behind Mantei and never granted that opportunity....

If the Dbacks do decide to promote Service to fill Sexson's roster spot, they should then go by committe for the time-being...Or like what coaches do with goalies in hockey, "ride the hot hand"......

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
I seem to recall last season Tommy Jones commenting that Jose had always had "focus" problems in the minors and the organization was really surprised by how he well reacted to the pressure of closing - unexpectedly rose to the occasion.

Excellent points. It seems that every time Valverde has come in with the game not on the line, he has not done well. Both last year and this.

I agree that he should be given a shot now at closing on a regular basis.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
BC867 said:
Excellent points. It seems that every time Valverde has come in with the game not on the line, he has not done well. Both last year and this.

I agree that he should be given a shot now at closing on a regular basis.

This thread isn't working :( Wish we could have traded him when he had more value....

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
From today's AZ Central:
Despite his recent penchant for serving up ninth-inning home runs, which he has done four times in suffering three losses, Matt Mantei will remain the Diamondbacks closer, Brenly said.

"His stuff is as good as it's ever been and his velocity has been outstanding," Brenly said.

"He's just going through a little funk right now where every time he makes a mistake with a fastball over the plate, it's getting whacked out of the ballpark."

Comforting news, isn't it??

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
I cant believe that Brenly is still using Mantei to close games. I mean wtf is wrong with him? I wouold shoot his azz if he gives up one more game. I cant believe this is happening. Take a bat to his head or something.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lolol

Dammit Mantei. It's always with 2 outs in the 9th.

This is such a joke.

Yotesfan85044

Registered
Reaction score
Dammit Mantei. It's always with 2 outs in the 9th.

From now on I'll be calling him Byung-Hyun Mantei. His 9th inning meltdowns remind me A LOT of BK during the 2001 WS games in New York. Painful.......

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
Great job Valverde. How could he be worse than MAntei as the closer?

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't Mantei's nickname the "Ice Man" before? Well...he doesnt freeze anyone whatsoever...except he gets frozen mentally.....

Actually, he deserves a new nickname..... I came up with Man"Tie" earlier today... Anyone have any other suggestions?

ArizonaLacky

YoungGun
Reaction score
Matt needs to find the DL real quick

How can you leave Papa Grande in the dugout, he is a god among men, he came in today and pitched great

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
Wasn't Mantei's nickname the "Ice Man" before? Well...he doesnt freeze anyone whatsoever...except he gets frozen mentally.....

Actually, he deserves a new nickname..... I came up with Man"Tie" earlier today... Anyone have any other suggestions?
Wow...does Bob Young read this forum?

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cheapseats/0503p2main0503.html[/font]

What's in a nickname?
May. 3, 2004 12:00 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
You must be registered for see images attach
[/font]
BUMMIN'

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Well, after giving up his fifth ninth-inning home run of the season, we can't see how we can allow Matt Mantei to keep "The Iceman" for a nickname.

Of course, we can't send him out there without something. We suggest:

[/font]
You must be registered for see images

[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"White Gas" - Nothing goes up in flames faster.

"Mr. Congeniality" - Every opposing contestant loves this guy.

"F-16" - Because he leaves more vapor trails than an F-14.

"The Nice Man" - He cometh, the ball leaveth.
[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cheapseats/0503p2main0503.html[/font]
[/font]

Last edited:
OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mantei Loses Closer Role!

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/0503mantei-ON.html

Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic
May. 3, 2004 06:29 PM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]CHICAGO — If the Diamondbacks are presented with a save opportunity on Tuesday against the Chicago Cubs, manager Bob Brenly will signal to the bullpen and call on a hard throwing right-hander.

It won't be Matt Mantei.

As sure as the wind at Wrigley Field, it will be Jose Valverde.

It could stay that way for a while, at least until Mantei clears his head and the Diamondbacks are able to notch a few victories. Who knows? The change, which Brenly could make official today, may last indefinitely.

Brenly wasn't available for comment on Monday, but during the team's charter flight to Chicago following Sunday's defeat, he huddled with pitching coach Chuck Kniffin and apparently told Mantei the bad news.

It had to happen. Mantei couldn't keep trudging to the mound with the game on the line and continue to serve home run balls over the middle of the plate like a daily lunch special. Hitters have been feasting off him to the tune of five home runs and 11 earned runs in just 861/37 innings.

In his last outing, Sunday at Philadelphia, Mantei did it again, allowing a two-run, pinch-hit homer to Pat Burrell, whose blast forced extra innings before the Phillies finally won in the 14th.

Mantei, who also couldn't be reached for comment, had to know this was coming.

"I just need to keep pitching" he said Sunday, when asked if time away from the closer's role could settle him down and provide the best service for himself and the team. "I need to pitch and get back out there and try to give myself an advantage."

Mantei's role in the bullpen will be explained in the coming days, but the team's best option right now is Valverde, who filled in solidly last season when Mantei was on the disabled list with a sore shoulder. Valverde converted nine consecutive save opportunities during a 12-game winning streak by the club, and he's been mowing down the opposition with regularity as Mantei's set-up man this year.

In his last past 12 appearances, Valverde has limited opposing teams to a .130 batting average and has allowed just three earned runs during that span.

"I made some adjustments in my mechanics and ever since then, things have been going pretty good for me,” Valverde said. "I'm throwing a lot more strikes, that's the biggest thing."

Strikes haven't been the problem so much with Mantei. He just hasn't been able to spot his fastball when and where he wants it. He said he's been trying to locate his pitches to certain areas against certain hitters, but they all seem to keep going in the same place: over the middle and out of the park.

None of Mantei's problems can be contributed to blamed on injury-related trouble. He's been bothered by shoulder and elbow pain in the past, and during spring training, was baffled by continuing cracked and splitting fingernails on his pitching hand. Those problems are long gone, but now his confidence is shot.

As for his pitches, his slider has been effective, but when he challenges batters with his fastball, they're eating him alive.

"Obviously, I'm trying to challenge them," Mantei said after Sunday's loss, "but I'm not going to challenge them middle-up. I'm going to try and go away with the pitch, but it stays middle again."

Mantei secured the first two outs in the ninth on Sunday and appeared headed on his way to his fifth save.

"He was throwing the ball," Brenly said. "But then he had a five-pitch walk to the No. 7 hitter and we all know Pat Burrell is a first-pitch, cheat-for-the-fastball hitter and he got it right down Main Street and didn't miss it.

"Location is everything. If he puts it in a better spot, we might hit a ground ball at somebody or pop it up. But when you throw it right down the middle of the plate, big-league hitters have a tendency to whack that ball."

They probably won't get that chance in Wrigley. If Mantei gets anywhere near the mound, it may only be to congratulate Valverde for earning a save in his place.

Utility man Donnie Sadler will be re-evaluated today to determine if his sore right hamstring will require a trip to the 15-day disabled list. Salder Sadler injured himself while trying to run out an infield hit Sunday against Philadelphia. The Diamondbacks don't want to play short-handed, especially after Sunday's 14-inning loss to the Phillies, but they could wait a couple days before deciding on making a roster move.

Left-hander Casey Fossum, who started the season on the disabled list with a sore shoulder, is scheduled to make his next start for Triple-A Tucson Friday. Once his velocity increases slightly and he feels comfortable being stretched out to seven and eight innings, the Diamondbacks might consider inserting him into their starting rotation for any one of their Nos. 3 through 5 starters: Elmer Dessens, Casey Daigle or Steve Sparks.
[/font]

Last edited:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Finally!!! Picked up Valverde in my fantasy league :)