The Power of Suggestion Through Presentation

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
One thing I frequently tell my students is that I learned more from waiting tables than just about any work experience I've ever had.

While i won't elaborate at this time about all of the key things i learned about people, organization, step-saving and acquiring a respect for cuisine and how it is prepared and presented...I will, however, mention one of the most curious things I learned about people: the power of suggestion through presentation.

When I first graduated from Boston College I landed a waitering job at a 5 Star restaurant in Westchester County, New York.

The owner, a Mr. Jack Shaw, was always lamenting that the waiters weren't selling enough wines from the restaurant's impressive wine cellar. "Push the wine," he commanded us night in and night out.

So, like all the other waiters and waitresses, after taking a table's orders I would ask, "Would you like a bottle of wine to go with your dinner?"

Alas---that didn't work at all. In fact, the question didn't seem to even garner a second's-worth of consideration.

So one night I was discussing this with my two busboys, Manuel and Ernesto, and we devised a plan.

First, we went down to the wine cellar and took a gander at all the selections---and we made a short list of wines we considered to be the most popular.

Then, based on what the guests had ordered at a given table, we would determine whether we ought to offer the table of red or a white wine---or sometimes both, if two guests were having seafood and the other two were having filet mignon.

Once we had determined the wine we thought was best, Manuel or Ernesto would hustle down the stairs and return with the bottle in hand.

Seconds later i would take the bottle to the person who appeared to be the host or hostess and say, "I took the liberty of bringing you a 1973 Pouilly Fuisse---it would go splendidly with your dinner, if you would like me to pour it."

Honest-to-goodness I have never seen anything like it.

I would venture to say the 3 out of every 4 tables asked me to pour it on the spot.

And, of course, there is something very appealing and impressive about offering the host a tasting for his or her approval.

What I learned was that the pouring of the wine made the occasion feel extra special for the guests.

It made them feel like their dining experience that night was fulfilling.

The wines I was selling were fairly expensive---yet I discovered that (a) no one ever asked me before-hand what the price was on the wine; and even more astonishingly (b) that no one ever complained about the bill.

Not once.

In fact, an IBM Executive and his wife from Paris was so pleased with the service that he gave me his business card and insisted that if I ever were to come to France that I could stay at his villa as long as I wished.

That was just one of the hundreds of times a guest pulled me, Manuel and Ernesto aside to thank us for our hospitality.

Mr. Shaw was flabbergasted. He kept asking me, "How are you doing it?"

Well, I didn't want to give Manuel's, Ernesto's and my secret away---so what i always said to Mr. Shaw is: "We think it's all about the presentation."

I write this story because when I listen to Bruce Arians and the more I learn about him as a coach, I think this kind of matching of suggestion with presentation is central to his modus operandi.

Today, for example, Arians went as far as to call tackle Levi Brown "elite"---

Well, that's the suggestion part---and when Arians is permitted to, he and/or Harold Goodwin will show Brown the things that they saw on tape that allowed them to arrive at that conclusion.

He will also show Brown the areas he has to clean up.

But, make no mistake about this, if Levi Brown ever has a chance to be a consistently elite NFL tackle, that time is now.

It's one thing to believe in yourself, but when one has the confidence and assurance of one's superiors, the sky becomes the limit.

Cynics will say that fear is a greater motivator.

I think it used to be, to a greater degree---

But not anymore---

Not with today's athletes.

Today's athletes need assurances---they need support---but most of all, they need road maps. In other words, they need to be shown why they can be special and exactly what they need to do to take their games to the highest levels.

It appears very clear that Bruce Arians understands this.

Take Drew Stanton---

How do you think he will feel when he hears that Arians said he's fine with him as his QB?

Imagine too what it would suggest to Drew Stanton if Arians was saying what his predecessor said to the media at this time of the year not too long ago: "I am not comfortable with any of the QBs on the roster."

Again---if Drew Stanton ever had a chance to be a successful NFL QB---that time is now.

And here is how it is going to work:

The suggestion has already been made...but here's the presentation:

When Arians starts taping practices, when Stanton excels, Arians will show Stanton the tape and state this is why you can be special---and he will also show Stanton the areas he needs to clean up and give him the road map of what it will take to clean those things up.

Players are always lauding coaches who put them in "a position to make plays."

That's what Arians does---he puts his personnel in positions to make plays.

Notice too that Arians said his starting QB is "already on the roster."

That gives Brian Hoyer a very good chance as well.

Arians will do the same for Hoyer.

He will do the same for every player on the roster.

Here is a coach who invests all his positive energy and expertise in the players and in creating an environment for them which will give them the best possible chances to succeed.

The power of suggestion through presentation.

It's on in Arizona.

I will post this now and then give you one more example---one that might amaze you. It sure amazed me at the time and still amazes me. Give me a few minutes and I will post it here.

Last edited:

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Excellent theory and write-up. I'm of the mind that says that so much of the troubles on the team had to do with the culture of the coaching staff. I never got the feeling that the players bought into Wiz and his personality. He tried too hard to be stoic and unflappable in my opinion.

I'm giving Arians and his staff the benefit of a doubt this off-season...his personality is a 180 from Wiz's, and I think that's a good thing.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Excellent story telling, Mitch. Very enjoyable reading about your wine serving days. Waiters never bother to ask me as the first thing I request is the wine menu.

Arians appears to be the ultimate player's coach. I know that many will say that he hasn't proved anything yet as this is his first real NFL HC position. That is true but he sure his an excellent understanding on "how to win friends and influence people." Its going to be fun to watch this season unfold.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mitch this makes me thirsty. To your point I even think the way he explained the departure of Kolb was good presentation that gave Kolb a branch of respect to grab on to. The fact that the new CBA didn't allow for any interaction to evaluate him before his $2M bonus and $9M salary kicked in says something without saying anything. Maybe he is good but we didn't have time to know. What a contrast to Whiz'z handeling of departing players like Leinart.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well anyone counting on Drew freaking Stanton to do anything has been drinking far too much wine.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
A couple of years later when I was teaching and coaching in New York at Trinity-Pawling School, the Varsity basketball team that I was the assistant coach for made the New England Championship tournament.

We were the #8 seed---and drew the #1 seed Suffield Academy, who had what would turn out to be the greatest high school basketball player I have ever coached against.

His name?

Vinny Del Negro.

Vinny Del Negro was the closest high school version to Pistol Pete Maravich as I had even seen. He could handle the ball with ease, dribble between his legs and around his back---and he could spot an open teammate on a dime and dish passes that were so quick it was almost impossible to defend. He had NBA shooting range and a he could take it to the hole with authority.

We lost to Suffield---Del Negro had 24 points and 14 assists even though we tried to double him every time he touched the ball.

They went on to win the tourney.

A week later we ran into Vinnie's coach, Dennis Kinney, and the story he had to tell us was unbelievable. We sat there in complete fascination and disbelief as he told us the story.

Now, mind you, Dennis Kinney is about as conservative and old-fashioned a coach as Bobby Knight.

Kinney would always tell it like it is. No fluff. No b.s.

Which makes what he told us all the more remarkable.

He told us that Vinny had only received one Division 1 scholarship offer from Cincinnati (which was a struggling program back then).

Coach Kinney said he had been telling Vinny that he might be better off to play at one of the hundred Division 3 schools that wanted him---that he wasn't sure whether Vinny would get the playing time right away and that knowing Vinny he couldn't imagine Vinny sitting on anyone's bench.

So, he said that mere hours after meeting with Vinny and his parents where he had been talking them into choosing the Division 3 school---Vinny received a phone call.

It was from Jimmy Valvano.

At first Vinny thought it was a practical joke.

But then it became clear that the guy on the phone was indeed the head coach of North Carolina State, Jimmy Valvano.

Valvano asked Vinny if he and a couple of his assistant coaches could come to Suffield, CT to meet with him and his parents.

Valvano was calling Vinny, "Pisan" and had asked if they could have an italian feast while they were visiting.

Vinny assured Valvano they would.

Two nights later, Jimmy Valvano and two of his assistants arrived at the Del Negro house. The Del Negros had invited Dennis Kinney to be there as well.

They sat around the dinner table eating up a storm and laughing throughout.

At the end of dinner, Coach Valvano announced that he and his coaches would like to offer Vinny a full scholarship to NC State...but he said, "before you decide, Vinny, i want you to hear something."

Valvano asked everyone to move over the living room, where he pulled out a cassette player and inserted a tape.

The announcer on the tape was NBC's Kurt Gowdy who said, 'Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the ACC Championship game between the Tarheels of North Carolina and the Wolfpack of NC State."

"And now for tonight's starting lineups---

The fifth starter mentioned by Gowdy: "And, at guard, a 6'2" freshman from Suffield Connecticut, Vinny Del Negro."

By the way Lorenzo Charles was still at State then and was announced as the center.

There's deafening crown noise and a ten minute play by play of the opening of the game...followed by a fast forward to the final seconds.

There's 10 seconds left, NC State is down by one, 68-67, they have the ball and have just called timeout.

Kurt Gowdy is saying that he expects State to get the ball into Lorenzo Charles on the low block.

"So here we go, the ball is in to Del Negro---he turns---he's looking inside for Charles---he's not open they are running out of time...Del Negro has nowhere to go with ball! Del Negro puts it on the floor, he dribbles it behind his back, he's in the lane, he throws up a floater---the buzzer goes off!!! IT'S GOOOOOD!!!! THE WOLFPACK has WON the ACC!!! THE WOLFPACK HAS WON THE ACC!!!"

No sooner has Gowdy started screaming, Jimmy V jumps out of his chair, runs over to Vinny, raised him straight up into the air and starts screaming: YOU DID IT!!! YOU DID IT!!! WE WON THE ACC!!! VINNY!!! YOU DID IT!!!

Funny thing was---at this point in Dennis Kinney's retelling of the story---he seemed very agitated and perturbed.

He lamented, "Vinny signed on the spot."

He went on to say, "This is a charade. There's no way Vinny is ever going to play at NC State. They have all high school All-Americans. He'll be sitting on the end of their bench. What a joke."

The next November I rushed out to get the Street & Smith's annual College Basketball magazine. I raced furiously to the NC State page.

The very last line of the page said: "Freshman G Vinny Del Negro (6-2, Suffield, CT) is not expected to play."

A month and a half later, my coaching friends and I went to Madison Square Garden to watch the Annual Holiday Tournament---and the feature game was NC State versus St.John's (Chris Mullin---their star player at that time).

Much to our delight and amazement, 5 minutes in, Coach Valvano ran Vinny into the game. Vinny played about 14 minutes and played well.

Vinny had a good 4 years at NC State---

As a senior in his last ACC Tournament game---as a huge underdog that year (who needed to win the Tourney to make the Big Dance) guess who scores the game-winning basket at the buzzer?

You got it---Vinny Del Negro.

He did it.

Vinny went on to play 11 years in the NBA---and is now the HC for the LA Clippers.

True story.

A legendary coach and an unheralded recruit from a small town in CT...and the power of suggestion through presentation. Hope you enjoyed it...and hope you enjoy all the March Madness ahead!

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Fear is an excellent motivator to get a job done.

Getting people to buy into something is an excellent way to getting the job done better then anyone else.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Great stories! I completely agree that a good presentation can make a world of difference. I was one of those "dreadful" telemarketers for a few years and I did pretty well at it and I would say that presentation was pretty big in being succesful at that. As for how it helps players, there is that saying you hear that the game is "90% mental". Though that may not be entirely accurate in the NFL it still plays a big role in how you perform on the field. Some players may need to feel like they are trying to keep their job in order to perform, but I think the players you want to build your team on is players that self motivate and don't need added pressure to perform. If you build your team around guys like that and then give them the freedom and confidence to go play their game freely than I believe that will give you great results. Obviously you still need talent and we will have to wait and see if we just don't have the talent to compete come regular season, but I am optimistic for now at least.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, was the restaurant, Emily Shaw's? If so it served as the venue for my first date with my wife-to-be, in February, 1962, and naturally has a special place in my memory bank. And I was there often in those years and usually saw Howard Cossell at the bar, since he had a home in Pound Ridge, NY. If so, as they say it's a small world.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, was the restaurant, Emily Shaw's? If so it served as the venue for my first date with my wife-to-be, in February, 1962, and naturally has a special place in my memory bank. And I was there often in those years and usually saw Howard Cossell at the bar, since he had a home in Pound Ridge, NY. If so, as they say it's a small world.

That's awesome, Garth! Yes, it was Emily Shaw's!

My dad used to ride the train home with Howard Cosell---they occasionally played cards while sipping on martinis.

I think it is so wonderful your first date was at Emily Shaw's! It's now even more special to me because of that.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, reference Emily Shaw's: A question; History; And an observation.;
1. When did you work there?
2. I remember reading the back of their menu. It stated that a portion of the building that housed the restaurant dated back to the 18th century, and served as a stopping off point for stagecoaches travelling from NY to Boston.
3. In only 50 years my priorities have gone from romance to the NFL Draft. A natural progression I guess.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, reference Emily Shaw's: A question; History; And an observation.;
1. When did you work there?
2. I remember reading the back of their menu. It stated that a portion of the building that housed the restaurant dated back to the 18th century, and served as a stopping off point for stagecoaches travelling from NY to Boston.
3. In only 50 years my priorities have gone from romance to the NFL Draft. A natural progression I guess.

I worked at Emily Shaws from January 1978---August 1978.

Good memory about the history---that's just what I remember as well.

One of the repeat customers I served there during that time was NFL announcer Don Crique. He always sat by himself and enjoyed his lunch while reading the sports section.

My uncle Michael Armstrong (the NYC attorney whom Frank Serpico turned to and a few years later assisted the Knapp Commission, formed to combat NYC Police corruption) lived in Scarsdale for decades---he and one of his best attorney friends Jack Vaughn. Uncle Mike is the one who took me to my first NFL game: November 1963, Giants versus Cardinals at Yankee Stadium. That's the day I became a Cardinals' fan. The Cardinals won and I came away idolizing #8, FS Larry Wilson.

Do Michael Armstrong and/or Jack Vaughn sound familiar? Thought I would ask!

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Both names sound familar, but not sure why. I do believe that Michael Armstrong was in the news, having to do with NYC politics. Or maybe it was i/c/w the Knapp Commission.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I worked at Emily Shaws from January 1978...
I vaguely remember Emily Shaw's. Where was it located in relation to Hunters Lodge? Also in fairly close proximity was Sam's Gedney Tavern and Sam's Deli (where their hogies were called "wedges" and they stacked up the rare roast beef 6" high on the sub-roll.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jeff, Hunter's Lodge and Sam's of Gedney Way were in White Plains, and Sam's exists, today. Emily Shaw's was in Northern Westchester, in the Pound Ridge/Bedford area. It was a block away from Connecticut. Today, Martha Stewart lives near by and Richard Gere has a restaurant in the area.