The Real Losers?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Imagine what it would be like to be Darnell Dockett right now.

Throughout this season and last, the bright spot of the Cardinals has been the play of its defense...a defense that in essence has to try to throw something close to a shutout in order for the team to win.

Imagine too the pounding he has taken in order to maintain the high level of defensive effort and play.

Playing on the interior defensive line and getting double teamed practically every play is nothing short of a weekly bludgeoning.

Imagine how Dockett felt when his defense was drawing aces on the road versus the best team in the NFC---knowing that a great upset win stops the bleeding of a horrid 5 game losing streak and catapults the Cardinals right back into Wild Card contention at 5-5.

What could Dockett and his defensive mates been thinking when John Skelton was benched with the team up 13-3 for Ryan Lindley, a rookie QB who had never taken a snap in the NFL.

The thing is too---Skelton's previous three games weren't horrible, especially considering the numbers of drops and playing behind a makeshift offensive line:

10/21 @MIN: 26/36, 69.4%, 262 yards, 1/1 (TD/INT)

10/29 SFO: 32/52, 61.5%, 290 yards, 0/1

11/4 GBP: 23/46, 50.0%, 306 yards, 1/1

Completion Percentage Fact: Skelton has 2 of the top 3 best completion percentage games for the Cardinals this year.

Kevin Kolb's Completion percentages: 53.8, 56.0, 60.4, 70.8, 55.6

So---because Skelton missed a wide open Fitzgerald and Ken Whisenhunt decided at that moment in the Atlanta game that John Skelton could no longer be his QB, regardless of having just a rookie 6th rounder behind him---Darnell Dockett and the Cardinals' defense, despite creating double digit turnovers in 3 games in spectacular fashion---were the ones being punished the most.

That's just from a W/L scoreboard perspective.

But how about from a time on the field perspective.

Take a look at the Cardinals offensive possession versus the Jets---and pay close attention to the time elapsed of each possession:

Series 1: 6/33/2:47
Series 2: 4/8/1:51 (Wells takes a dive on a 4th and inches--after Rhodes' int)
Series 3: 3/7/1:31
Series 4: 3/3/0:40
Series 5: 3/1/0:38 (Jets interception)
Series 6: 3/5/0:49
Series 7: 10/61/2:31 (fake field goal for 40 yards)---end of half

Series 8: 3/3/1:21
Series 9: 3/7/1:28
Series 10: 3/-4/1:54
Series 11: 3/3/0:48
Series 12: 6/21/2:03
Series 13: 3/-5/1:10

Seeing as the defense is on the sidelines during the first drive---after their first series their time on the sidelines was an average of 1:20 of clock time the rest of the game.

Darnell Dockett had every right to be upset---

How can anyone look at how those series went and not conclude---it's time to bring Skelton back in---that is, if you really want to TRY to win the game---or give the team some HOPE.

And no, of course, as for Dockett, you can't go spitting at anyone, even if you are playing a barbaric sport where you have just spent the entire afternoon taking a pounding which you run back out to like dogs every 1:20 minutes of clock time---and despite all of that you are doing everything humanly possible to stop the other team and to win the game.

The problem is---as if often the case with anger---he took it out on the wrong guy. Rhodes just happened to be the messenger.

First---it might have been good to say something to Adrian Wilson---who did the unthinkable and the most irresponsible by recklessly jumping the snap on 3rd and 4 when the Jets were clearly just running to set up field goal position.

But, obviously, most of all, how about the head coach who was the real one who quit on Dockett and the entire team?

How about the head coach who is punishing everyone else on the team because he needs to prove to the world that John Skelton and his 8-8 with 6 4th quarter comeback wins doesn't deserve to play another snap?

The irony is that Dockett was upset because HE didn't want to quit...nor did he want anyone else on his defense to give the Jets an inch.

What one must wonder is---had the giving the other team a free TD option ever been explained and prepared for in practice?

That's a key question because---if the players aren't prepared for it, how is a Darnell Dockett going to process that instruction during a 35 second play clock at the end of game that he and his defense have busted their butts to win.

There's no question that Ray Horton made the right call---save a Jets' fumble, it was the ONLY way the Cardinals still had a chance to win.

But---what we fans do not know is whether this strategy had ever been taught and integrated into the game plans.

By virtue of Dockett's reaction, it would seem not.

Now Dockett is being fined six figures and he and the team are further punished by the added sanction of a "reduced role" versus arch-rival Seattle up in Seattle.

That's just great, isn't it?

I ask you---is Darnell Dockett the real loser here?

My own feeling is---while spitting in a teammate's face is egregious, no question, don't you want players who are so peed off at losing 8 straight games that they can't stand the thought of lying down and giving up another inch?

Darnell Dockett is a proven winner.

He has always been a major part of the solution---not the problem.

On the flip side, the head coach who quit on this team is going to pocket $5,500,000 next year to play golf.

The no-quit guy pays and the real quitter profits.

Such is the state of the 2012 Arizona Cardinals.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Did I miss read something? I thought Rhodes said Dockett didn't spit on or at him.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With you 100% Mitch. Love the guy. What he did was wrong but they should have found better ballance between 1. showing they were the authority regardless of what a single players opinion he needs to submit to that authority and 2. Making it painless. BTW he apparently did not spit in KRs face.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It wasn't DD's call. End of story, end of lesson.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
This defense I so much better with DD in there. I am hoping this blows over quickly with no ill feelings. We need DD (& Rhodes) both here & happy. Defense is all we got right now.

ANDY440

Registered
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This is like getting written up at work for being 10 mins late on your day off when the only reason you were there at all was to fill in for people who called in sick.

seesred

Reaction score
I'm behind double D all the way. I can not see anything except Darnel and the HEAD coach talking about the situation. No fine,no lost time, NO BIG DEAL!

GBR

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
???????????????????????????

Did I miss something ?

What is all this about Dockett being traded ?

When did this talk start ?

Is this STILL about the situation at the end of the Jets game ?

If it is, then I call a foul on the organization. He apologized, and explained his case. That should have been enough.

This is far and away not a cut a dry issue. The player is wrong for not doing what the coaches told him to do, the coaches are wrong for being hypocritical with their messages to the team.

Finally, everyone should calm the heck down on both sides, since the wise thing would be to ask the defense who is comfortable letting a team score. If you are going to let a team score the only thing you need is 11 bodies out there, and Dockett doesn't need to be one of them.

Wow, talk about this team and organization becoming a full time circus.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agree, Mitch...typical Bone-headed Cardinals Move...

D.D. is one of the guys who seemed to proudly wear the Cardinal jersey and encourage others to wear it. "Pride" is a BIG deal in the NFL and you just hit the man where it hurts the MOST! In his wallet! This is NOT going to go away but D.D. is and we will be a lesser team because of it. The Cardinals in my 45+ years of being a fan have always been a dysfunctionally run organization and while I hope for change...that's all it ever turns out to be..a false-hope.

Mark in SC :)

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
We all get that most want Wiz sent to the desert without a water bottle, but come on man! :D

DD is dead wrong here! Players should always carry out the coaches orders, especially when it's your best chance at a possible tie!!! No if ands or buts, #90 deserves his punishment IMO.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We all get that most want Wiz sent to the desert without a water bottle, but come on man! :D

DD is dead wrong here! Players should always carry out the coaches orders, especially when it's your best chance at a possible tie!!! No if ands or buts, #90 deserves his punishment IMO.

Not always. As Shane pointed out there are exceptions. Just look at the Saints bounty situation.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sweet! Another thread full of apologists and those just laying in wait to rail "the organization" mercilessly with a bunch of unfounded thoughts not backed up by anything other than circumstantial evidence.

I used to sit here silently and read in awe all the knowledge this board has. Where did it go? Wash, rinse, repeat.

You guys dont give a turd about whether I come or go, and thats cool, but know that I respect the hell out of a ton of you, and Im totally at my wits end. Theres no more levity, empathy or understanding here.

I dont know why Im even writing this...... nevermind.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Isn't this the same guy who has had two contract issues which he decided to vent publicly about? Isn't this the same guy who has said multiple times that he did his own thing in Bill Davis' defense because he wan't getting his production and then said that it took him awhile to buy into Horton?

Dockett is a talented player who lets his emotions drive him and has made very self interested decisions in the past. Lets not make me out to be the poster child for team leadership. He is a talented player who has shown in the past a greater concern for his own stats and his own paycheck over the needs of the team. The NFL is full of these types of players and it is important to be able to manage them as an organization. But to try a validate Dockett's actions or be surprised by his attitude when things have gotten tough is pretty ridiculous.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
One question though. If Dockett is all about stats and getting paid and not the team why is he still here after 9 years when everyone else but Wilson is gone from the SB defense?

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
One question though. If Dockett is all about stats and getting paid and not the team why is he still here after 9 years when everyone else but Wilson is gone from the SB defense?
Just like AW, DD is a bad ass mutha who don't take nuthin from nobody. Asked to bail out an offense to get them another shot, that's Whiz at his finest. They can say it came from Horton, but we know where it started. Whiz gave up on the defense, and still thought our offense had a shot. How ass backwards is that? He needs to go, hopefully this is the week.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
DD is a selfish thug- always has been- Get his early contract and dissapears- He is a good not great player- I think He has grown as a man and improved- In the best of times I never doubted he would self destruct in the worse of times-

As far Skelton- it is small taters compared to cutting Leinart for DA. Just because leinart plays behind top QB's does not prove he is not better than any QB Whiz has developed- But the inconsistancy on offense is a direct result of Whiz's choice of Mike Miller at OC- even when we run and ghave a half time lead with Lindley- through a balanced offense - He calls over 50 passes in a close game- On a rookies first start? It aint Lindley, Hall, DA, skelton, Kolb or Leinart!

Keep doing what your doing you'll keep getting what you getting.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

He got his extension and was advised he wasn't going to be evaluated on his stats per the expectations of a 3-4 DE. And, up until last week, it had been shocking to me he had swallowed his pride so much.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
He got his extension and was advised he wasn't going to be evaluated on his stats per the expectations of a 3-4 DE. And, up until last week, it had been shocking to me he had swallowed his pride so much.

But hasn't he been extended twice? And after him seeing how much $$$ Antonio Smith and Karlos Dansby and Calvin Pace were paid why didn't he bolt as well? I don't remember exactly how much he got but was it enough to overcome his being self centered and greedy?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
But hasn't he been extended twice? And after him seeing how much $$$ Antonio Smith and Karlos Dansby and Calvin Pace were paid why didn't he bolt as well? I don't remember exactly how much he got but was it enough to overcome his being self centered and greedy?

Yes, he got extended on his rookie deal and then wanted another extension two years after I think. Don't get me wrong, Dockett wants to win, but if not, he wants his money and his stats. He never has been the guy to go down with the ship which a lot of players aren't.

My point isn't that Dockett is a bad guy, it's that he isn't a leader and these actions shouldn't be a shock to anyone who has followed his career. Good organizations find ways to fix these situations while the Cardinals find ways to alienate those involved. I have never been the biggest Anquan Boldin or Darnell Dockett or Karlos Dansby fan, but I hate that they all left with bitterness for this organization. It makes me sad.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This punishment seemed to be over the top in terms of money. Docket is one of the core players and plays his heart out. It seemed like everyone quit in the Seahawks game. Did Whiz overdue it with the punishment on Docket and lose the entire team because of it????