Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Skeleton Key

Release Date: August 12, 2005
Studio: Universal Pictures
Director: Iain Softley
Screenwriter: Ehren Kruger
Genre: Supernatural, Thriller
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for violence, disturbing images, some partial nudity and thematic material)

Starring: Kate Hudson, Gena Rowlands, Peter Sarsgaard, John Hurt, Joy Bryant

Plot Summary: From the writer of "The Ring" (Ehren Kruger) and the director of "K-PAX" (Iain Softley) comes Universal Pictures' contemporary supernatural thriller, "The Skeleton Key".

Set largely in the dark atmospheric backwoods just outside of New Orleans, "The Skeleton Key" stars Hudson as Caroline, a live-in nurse hired to care for an elderly woman's (Rowlands) ailing husband (Hurt) in their home...a foreboding and decrepit mansion in the Louisiana delta. Intrigued by the enigmatic couple, their mysterious and secretive ways and their rambling house, Caroline beings to explore the old mansion. Armed with a skeleton key that unlocks every door, she discovers a hidden attic room that holds a deadly and terrifying secret. Peter Sarsgaard portrays Luke, the local attorney working on the couple's estate, and Joy Bryant plays Jill, Caroline's best friend.

Attachments

• skeletonkey.jpg
    skeletonkey.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 143

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
This is going to scare the poop out of people.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Checked this out last night.

This was an all right movie. I didn't hate it but it was too uneven and wasn't developed enough for me to say it was anything more than decent. The previews are very misleading - this is NOT a scary movie. There are horror elements but it's more of a mystery than anything else. The director's lack of experience making a scary movie is evident throughout.

The film's resolution was pretty cool even if its execution left a bit to be desired. I'd say wait for video.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I actually enjoyed it. It's about time that one of these so called "suspense" movies (Darkness, Cold Creek Manor, Hide and Seek, etc.) actually delivered. The New Orleans occult underworld was nicely portrayed. Thumbs up for me!

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I normally dont like "scary" or suspense type films, but this movie was much better than I expected. Good story and foreshadowing all the way through. Definitely a renter.

Plus Kate Hudson is very, very easy on the eyes. ;)

A-Bomb

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
abomb said:
I normally dont like "scary" or suspense type films, but this movie was much better than I expected. Good story and foreshadowing all the way through. Definitely a renter.

Plus Kate Hudson is very, very easy on the eyes. ;)

A-Bomb

abomb, I'm sure you liked the little bra and panty scene then. :thumbup:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
phillycard said:
abomb, I'm sure you liked the little bra and panty scene then. :thumbup:

And how. :thumbup: :thumbup:

A-Bomb

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Kate Hudson sure looks great, but unfortunately she is the female equivalent of Paul Walker.

I just saw this movie last night, and it was better than I thought, and I agree with mdamien13. This was not a horror movie. More of a suspense thriller, and the twist at the end was pretty good. I thought I had figured out the twist, but it went a different way.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Kate Hudson sure looks great, but unfortunately she is the female equivalent of Paul Walker.

Oh boy, I wouldn't go THAT far!!!

I just saw this movie last night, and it was better than I thought, and I agree with mdamien13. This was not a horror movie. More of a suspense thriller, and the twist at the end was pretty good. I thought I had figured out the twist, but it went a different way.

I quite enjoyed this movie; I liked the twist and was totally misdirected from it, until it all hit me in a big ton and I smiled and nodded. After the fact, I kicked myself for almost catching it over and over again..I'm usually good at picking up stuff, but for some reason this movie had me bouncing around looking at the right stuff but interpreting it in the wrong way. Like a good magician, the movie's misdirection made the final result that much more enjoyable.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I just watched it. I agree with the previous posters that it wasn’t a scary movie. A bit creepy and suspenseful, but definitely not scary. I liked the way the New Orleans atmosphere was presented. It really gave it a sense that the place was stuck in the past. I was feeling a bit disappointed in the movie, until the end. The twist was great, I didn’t see it coming at all.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also agree. Good enough to watch. Decent enough to watch again if someone else that you are watching with has not seen it.

5 or 6 out of 10.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan