Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Smurfin' Movie Deal
By Joal Ryan
Tue Jul 19, 2005

Fans of a certain animated tribe of small, blue woodland creatures haven't gotten a lot of love lately: No new TV episodes, no old TV episodes on DVD (outside of a couple of import releases), no real news on a long-rumored movie.

Now, finally, things are looking rather smurfin'.

A 3-D, CGI-animated Smurfs feature film will bow in theaters in 2008, Daily Variety reported Tuesday. The extravaganza from Paramount's Nickelodeon Movies will be the first in a planned trilogy, it said. According to Newsweek, the project has been trying to get off the ground since at least 2003.

Word of the done deal comes a week after DreamWorks and Paramount set a July 4, 2007, release date for The Transformers, another animated TV series due for a big-screen makeover. But while Transformers fandom has thrived, fueled by new series and product, the smaller legions of Smurf faithful have waited.

"Dude, a Smurf movie?" went a message-board post on TheMovieBlog.com last month after Newsweek noted a film was nigh. "That's the smurfing best thing I've heard in smurfing forever."

Like the Transformers, the Smurfs were a phenomenon of the 1980s, unless one lived in Europe, where the characters have been mainstays since 1958, when Belgian artist Pierre Culliford, better known as Peyo, introduced them in the comic pages. The new movie's planned release date supposedly is tied to Smurfdom's upcoming 50th birthday.

Peyo's creations--the aforementioned small, blue woodland creatures who lived in homes shaped like mushrooms, whistled happy tunes, conjugated the word "smurf" in any way they saw fit, and named themselves Ramones-style (Papa Smurf, Brainy Smurf, Grouchy Smurf, etc.)--blew up as big as any Transformer robot in 1981 when The Smurfs debuted on NBC. The Hanna-Barbera-produced series won two Daytime Emmys, moved much merchandise, from Smurf-Berry Crunch cereal to countless figurines, and dominated Saturday morning TV until 1990. A 1983 big-screen adventure, The Smurfs and the Magic Flute, grossed $11 million, per the box-office site The-Numbers.com, even though it was nothing more than a retitled, redubbed version of a 1976 Belgian-produced movie.

There was no word on voice actors for the new film. The Smurfs' family recently lost Gargamel, the bad, and Baby Smurf, the good, in the death of performer Paul Winchell. Don Messick, who voiced Papa Smurf and others, died in 1997. Smurfette, meanwhile, lives. Lucille Bliss, who gave high-pitched voice to the tribe's lone female member, is 76, and still working.

As for Peyo, he died in 1992. His progeny, however, has kept right on their merry way.

--------------------------------------------------------

About Smurfin' time !! :D

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't think of Smurfs anymore without thinking of Ryan and Jon! :lol:

Djaughe

Reaction score
CQ said:

What are they doing when you think about them? :eek:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I got smurfed up last night, then me and this chick smurfed all night long.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Smurfs are French?!?

A-Bomb

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
CQ said:

Djaughe said:
What are they doing when you think about them? :eek:

more importantly, what are you doing when you think about them as smurfs? :eek:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Smurfs

Release Date: July 29, 2011 (3D/2D theaters)
Studio: Columbia Pictures (Sony)
Director: Raja Gosnell
Screenwriter: J. David Stem, David N. Weiss, Jay Scherick, David Ronn
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Family
MPAA Rating: PG (for some mild rude humor and action)

Starring: Neil Patrick Harris, Jayma Mays, Sofia Vergara, Hank Azaria, Anton Yelchin, Jonathan Winters, Katy Perry, Alan *******, Fred Armisen, George Lopez, Paul Reubens, John Oliver, Kenan Thompson, B.J. Novak, Jeff Foxworthy, Wolfgang Puck, Gary Basaraba, Tim Gunn

Plot Summary: Audiences everywhere are in for a Smurfy good time as the Smurfs make their first 3D trip to the big screen. When the evil wizard Gargamel chases the tiny blue Smurfs out of their village, they tumble from their magical world and into ours – in fact, smack dab in the middle of Central Park. Just three apples high and stuck in the Big Apple, the Smurfs must find a way to get back to their village before Gargamel tracks them down.

Neil Patrick Harris, Jayma Mays, Sofia Vergara, and Hank Azaria star on camera opposite an all-star voice cast. Anton Yelchin will play Clumsy Smurf; comedy legend Jonathan Winters, who voiced roles in the "Smurfs" television series, will voice Papa Smurf; Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter Katy Perry will play Smurfette; Alan ******* will play Gutsy Smurf; "SNL's" Fred Armisen will voice Brainy Smurf; and George Lopez will play Grouchy Smurf.

In the live-action roles, Azaria will play the Smurfs' nemesis, the evil wizard Gargamel. Harris and Mays star as an expectant couple whose lives are turned upside down when the Smurfs cross over from their magical village to New York City. Vergara plays Odile, Harris's boss, a cosmetics executive.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love Neil Patrick Harris. Saw the trailer for this one. Looks, um, okay. Will likely wait til it gets into the discount theater unless people here say it's really funny.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Love Neil Patrick Harris. Saw the trailer for this one. Looks, um, okay. Will likely wait til it gets into the discount theater unless people here say it's really funny.

You should come to my house. My girls are counting the freaking minutes, I cant resist I want it to come out now just for them! Their enthusiasm is intoxicating. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan