The Steelers.

OP
OP
Redsz

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
The good news about the Steelers having such good line play this year is than perhaps the same will hold true for the Cardinals 0-line once Grimm leaves to become head coach elsewhere.

Speaking of the lines, I actually believe that ours has performed better than the Steelers line to date.

Footballoutsiders ranks us:

Pass Blocking: #1
Run Blocking: #9.

The Steelers:

Pass Blocking: #8
Run Blocking: #6

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol.php

While both are top 10 lines, we have faced better teams to date than they have.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's see... Steelers are 3-0 and are a damn good team but they have played

Cleveland (1-2)
Buffalo (0-3)
San Francisco (2-1)

Buffalo and San Francisco offense is nothing to be too proud of...

um, neither is ours with Matt in there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the lines, I actually believe that ours has performed better than the Steelers line to date.

Footballoutsiders ranks us:

Pass Blocking: #1
Run Blocking: #9.

The Steelers:

Pass Blocking: #8
Run Blocking: #6

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol.php

While both are top 10 lines, we have faced better teams to date than they have.

the only reason we've faced better teams than they have to date is because we lost to those teams. We beat SF and Baltimore and both teams are 1-2. You can't fault the Steelers for beating their opponents, making their opponents record worse at this point in the season.

OP
OP
Redsz

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
the only reason we've faced better teams than they have to date is because we lost to those teams. We beat SF and Baltimore and both teams are 1-2. You can't fault the Steelers for beating their opponents, making their opponents record worse at this point in the season.

I disagree. SF, SEA and BAL are all better pass rushing and run stopping teams than that of BUF, CLE and SF put together.

Comparitivley, I also believe that BUF and CLE are looking at a top 10 draft pick. While BAL and SEA are very much in the playoff hunt.

Do you really believe that CLE and BUF are better than BAL and SEA? :confused:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. SF, SEA and BAL are all better pass rushing and run stopping teams than that of BUF, CLE and SF put together.

Comparitivley, I also believe that BUF and CLE are looking at a top 10 draft pick. While BAL and SEA are very much in the playoff hunt.

Do you really believe that CLE and BUF are better than BAL and SEA? :confused:

I think it's just too early to tell. I do know that annihilating three straight teams (I don't care who they are) is impressive in it's own right and that two of those teams they beat are 1-1 outside of their games with the Steelers. Buffalo stinks pretty bad though, I'll give you that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, our offense with even a struggling Matt is better than Buffalo and Alex Smith!

not that much better considering he was on his way to what looked like a goose egg against Baltimore - that would have put us at a whopping 40 points through three games.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing I wasn't aware of in looking at the matchups - the Steelers apparently run a lot of three TE stuff (with Miller, Tuman and Spaeth). That'll help get you ground yards.

Except that Spaeth (quad injury) is supposed to be 50-50 for Sunday - which might take Pittsburgh out of that aspect of their offensive game.

DCBnG

Reaction score
I'm new, and will do my best not p!$$ off anyone here.
The breakdown on the first page by Jeff, had some very good insight, but you lost me and the last line.
Assuming for the moment that both teams match up equally in terms of talent,

The first mismatch will be Hampton on Okobi. THere was a reason the Chukki was cut, he can't block. I have seen Hampton beat Okobi like a rented mule on more occasions than I care to remember. What you have is a pro-bowler going against a backup. It will not be pretty. So, who, from a weak(even with Grimm) O-line is going to be assigned to double up on Hampton. That leaves Matty(I love that commercial) or Kurt left to be looking for who is coming from the Steelers 'fire-Zone'.

With the middle in control of the Steelers, the only option for James is getting wide. The Steelers have the quickness at both outside linebackers to keep the play to the inside. Now that the run game is somewhat neutralized, the Cards need to pray that the Steelers do not jump out to a 2 TD lead and force Matty or Kurt to throw.
Why is that good for the Steelers, remember that weak middle, two seconds is about all the time the QB is gonna get. Not even a 2 step drop.

Not all things are equal, and it always starts and ends with who controls the middle.

Might I suggest screen passes.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
]The first mismatch will be Hampton on Okobi... So, who, from a weak(even with Grimm) O-line is going to be assigned to double up on Hampton.
As az1965 pointed out, it won't be Okobi. He is the backup. It will be Sendlein, who has been played beyond our expectations. Last week he was matched up against Haloti Ngata. As far as who may double up on him you might want to pay attention to Duce Latui. He isn't weak and if this team improves to level that we want (only because the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest) he will be making a few visits to Hawaii during his career. He is already a mauler.

OP
OP
Redsz

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
It will not be pretty. So, who, from a weak(even with Grimm) O-line is going to be assigned to double up on Hampton.

Weak line? Not any more, pal.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm new, and will do my best not p!$$ off anyone here.
The breakdown on the first page by Jeff, had some very good insight, but you lost me and the last line.

The first mismatch will be Hampton on Okobi. THere was a reason the Chukki was cut, he can't block. I have seen Hampton beat Okobi like a rented mule on more occasions than I care to remember. What you have is a pro-bowler going against a backup. It will not be pretty. So, who, from a weak(even with Grimm) O-line is going to be assigned to double up on Hampton. That leaves Matty(I love that commercial) or Kurt left to be looking for who is coming from the Steelers 'fire-Zone'.

With the middle in control of the Steelers, the only option for James is getting wide. The Steelers have the quickness at both outside linebackers to keep the play to the inside. Now that the run game is somewhat neutralized, the Cards need to pray that the Steelers do not jump out to a 2 TD lead and force Matty or Kurt to throw.
Why is that good for the Steelers, remember that weak middle, two seconds is about all the time the QB is gonna get. Not even a 2 step drop.

Not all things are equal, and it always starts and ends with who controls the middle.

Might I suggest screen passes.
Just wanna comment on a few things here. First Okobi is our 3rd string center. He wont see the field (knock on wood). Last week Seindlien held his own against Ngata from the Ravens who is a better player that Hampton, so that matchup doesn't worry me in the least. Secondly, as of right now, we have the #1 ranked offensive line in football. Check it out.

I understand you guys are pumped up being off to a 3-0 start, but calm down there bud. We aren't Cleveland, Buffalo or SF. To be honest, if it weren't for the Ghost of Bill Walsh, SF would be 1-2 at this point. Your D hasn't seen an offense like ours this season, so dont expect us to be that easy.

Most importantly, why would we be frightened to throw the ball? Last week Kurt threw for 260 in 20min of play against a better D than you guys will be bringing.

You are right about the slant though. Boldin and Fitz are gonna eat you guys up with them all day.

Reaction score
Last week Seindlien held his own against Ngata from the Ravens who is a better player that Hampton, so that matchup doesn't worry me in the least.
Ngata is quicker and more of a penetrating type than Hampton. But Hampton is probably one of the best at holding the line and clogging the middle, which is what the Pittsburgh D, requires of him. To say that Ngata is the better of the two is a misjudgement in my opinion.

Last week Kurt threw for 260 in 20min of play against a better D than you guys will be bringing.
Again, Baltimore's D may be thought of by reputation as tougher than Pittsburgh's but I think that is more due to style than substance. Although, I do believe that the Ravens secondary is stronger overall than the Steelers.

But I like the Cardinals chances this week. I think the team proved something to themselves, even though losing, last week. But this Sunday's game will come down to two factors:
  1. Can the Cardinals D limit Pittsburgh's rush offense?
  2. Can the Cardinals execute their game plans with high efficiency, i.e - don't beat themselves with mistakes, penalties, and turnovers?
Control those two factors and the Cardinals win Sunday!

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with DCBnG, the Steelers do have better talent than we do right now at QB and RB. But that's it. Everywhere else, we can match talent for talent and we may have an edge at a few positions, especially at CB, where the Steelers are weak.

What they do have is veteran, experienced lines who play with great discipline. They don't beat themselves. WR Santonio Holmes scares me because only CB Eric Green can match his speed and Green will usually be on Hines Ward.

I think they blow us out. But just once, I'd like to see them try to make up a 10 point deficit, on the road, in the 4th quarter. My guess is they would implode.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your D hasn't seen an offense like ours this season, so dont expect us to be that easy.

you mean the one that mustered 17 points against Frisco, 23 against Seattle and was on pace for a goose-egg against the Ravens, with our starter having led the team to a whopping 0 points in the first half?

Most importantly, why would we be frightened to throw the ball? Last week Kurt threw for 260 in 20min of play against a better D than you guys will be bringing.

but Kurt's not playing, so this is irrelevent.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last week Seindlien held his own against Ngata from the Ravens who is a better player that Hampton, so that matchup doesn't worry me in the least.
Ngata is quicker and more of a penetrating type than Hampton. But Hampton is probably one of the best at holding the line and clogging the middle, which is what the Pittsburgh D, requires of him. To say that Ngata is the better of the two is a misjudgement in my opinion.

Again, Baltimore's D may be thought of by reputation as tougher than Pittsburgh's but I think that is more due to style than substance. Although, I do believe that the Ravens secondary is stronger overall than the Steelers.

But I like the Cardinals chances this week. I think the team proved something to themselves, even though losing, last week. But this Sunday's game will come down to two factors:
  1. Can the Cardinals D limit Pittsburgh's rush offense?
  2. Can the Cardinals execute their game plans with high efficiency, i.e - don't beat themselves with mistakes, penalties, and turnovers?
Control those two factors and the Cardinals win Sunday!
We will have to agree to disagree then. I would take Ngata over any tackle in the game. No questions asked.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you mean the one that mustered 17 points against Frisco, 23 against Seattle and was on pace for a goose-egg against the Ravens, with our starter having led the team to a whopping 0 points in the first half?
So are you telling me that you dont think we have a better offense than SF, Cleveland or Buffalo? Stop playing games please. Furthermore, just because Matt wasn't in the game dont act like the offense didn't still put up 23 on the best D in the league. And yes they are that. Who cares if our "starter" wasn't in the game. I dont see starters anyhow, we have football players.

but Kurt's not playing, so this is irrelevent.[/quote
Would you like to make a friendly wager as to whether or not Kurt comes in again if Matt sucks this week. Maybe you haven't been reading lately, but last week was no fluke. Whiz planned on using Kurt and said that he intends to do so throughout the year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So are you telling me that you dont think we have a better offense than SF, Cleveland or Buffalo? Stop playing games please. Furthermore, just because Matt wasn't in the game dont act like the offense didn't still put up 23 on the best D in the league. And yes they are that. Who cares if our "starter" wasn't in the game. I dont see starters anyhow, we have football players.
I'm telling you that Cleveland's scored 51 points and 24 points in the two games that didn't include the Steelers. Yeah, their O has proven thus far to be much better than ours. The Bills aren't very good and SF hasn't proven much, but again, our offense, with our QB who will be seeing the majority of the snaps has been anything but impressive. For some reason you see "football players" and that's nice, but if Matt's gonna be our starter, that means going into the game, he's likely going to be seeing a majority of the snaps and up until this point, that doesn't say much for our offense.

but Kurt's not playing, so this is irrelevent.[/quote
Would you like to make a friendly wager as to whether or not Kurt comes in again if Matt sucks this week. Maybe you haven't been reading lately, but last week was no fluke. Whiz planned on using Kurt and said that he intends to do so throughout the year.
If Matt sucks again this week, we're screwed because that means we're likely down by 17 points again, Kurt's package (soft-ball there) will have been seen before, thus it will be able to better be game-planned against against a better defense than we faced last week.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For crying out loud Cheese. We have an opposing fan on this thread giving us static and when a Card fan answers him, you jump on the Card fan. Whose side are you on?

country_lady

Reaction score
Well good luck ...it will be a very interesting game with 6 former Steeler coaches. But remember; a lot of things have changed this year for the the Steelers, starting with the Head Coach. I think the Cards will have a problem with the Steeler defense and the Blitz . A lot has improved from last year. The time of pos. is the true control factor and special teams have greatly improved .....again good luck and enjoy a great football Sunday...see ya there

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well good luck ...it will be a very interesting game with 6 former Steeler coaches. But remember; a lot of things have changed this year for the the Steelers, starting with the Head Coach. I think the Cards will have a problem with the Steeler defense and the Blitz . A lot has improved from last year. The time of pos. is the true control factor and special teams have greatly improved .....again good luck and enjoy a great football Sunday...see ya there

Thank you. Bad luck to you. :) The special teams and Willie Parker scare me. Identifying time of poss. as the true control factor means you know your team very well. You're welcome here at ASFN any time you wish to visit.