The Stupidest Off-Season Plan I Can Think Of---a Snow Day Special

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. Roster Trimming

The following players, imo, are not worth their current salaries this year and moving forward: (2013 Cap Figures in Parenthesis)

QB Kevin Kolb ($13.5M)
DE Darnell Dockett ($7.7M)
G Daryn Colledge ($7.275M)
LB Stewart Bradley ($$6.5M)
S Kerry Rhodes ($6M)
S Adrian Wilson ($4.93M)
G Adam Snyder ($4M)
C Lyle Sendlein ($3.675M)
CB William Gay ($3.675M)
RB Beanie Wells ($2.42M)
WR Early Doucet ($2.25M)

By getting all of these players off the books via trades or releases, the Cardinals would be saving $41.2M in base salaries and $11.9M in miscellaneous bonuses.

They would also be on the hook for $25.3M in guaranteed money---some of which we could elect to defer---but, in my play, we are going to take care of it all this year.

After the deductions, what this clears is $27.7M in cap space.

2. Larry Fitzgerald.

This year he only counts $10.25 versus the cap. However, his cap figure jumps to astronomic proportions the next two years: to $18M in 2014 and to $21.25M in 2015.

if we were to trade him now, we still owe him $18M in guaranteed money.

Trading Fitzgerald while his stock remains sky-high is going to help the team in the long run.

The Vikings have offered their 1st (#23) and 3rd (#83) round picks and their 2014 2nd rounder.

I am taking this deal.

We recover Fitzgerlad's $5M base salary---so I am going to put that and $5M more to paying it off this year, which now leave me with $22.1M...with $8M to pay on next year's cap.

3. Levi Brown.

He counts $6.4M on the cap this year---and he has $6.6M in guaranteed money---I am going to have him restructure his deal so that his cap hit for this year is $3.4M.

Now I have $27.4M to take to the FA market.

4. More Trades:

DE Darnell Dockett to the Dolphins for their 4th round pick (#108) and their 7th round pick (#201). (Makes him happy and after they lose Randy Starks to FA, Dockett fills a big need)

S Kerry Rhodes to the Falcons for their 5th round pick (#156). They lose William Moore to free agency and need a FS.

S Adrian Wilson to the Eagles for their 5th round pick (#129). (Per the urgings of new Eagles' DC Bill Davis)

RB Beanie Wells to the Giants for their 5th round pick (#145). They need RBs and want to roll the dice on Wells.

5. Free Agent Signings:

*QB Matt Moore (6-3, 203, 7, Oregon St.)---3/$16M+incstvs/$5MSB/$5M cap
*DE Randy Starks (6-3, 305, 10, Maryland)---3/$18M/$8MSB/$6M cap
*WR Mike Wallace (6-0, 199, 5, Mississippi)---4/$30M/$10MSB/$5M cap
*CB Greg Toler (6-0, 192, 5, St. Paul's)---3/$12M/$5MSB/$4M
*FS Rashad Johnson (5-11, 204, 5, Alabama)---2/$3M/$1MSB/$1M cap
*OLB/DE Quinton Groves (6-3, 265, Auburn)---2/$3M/$1MSB/$1M cap
*CB Michael Adams (5-8, 181, 6, LA-Lafeyette)---2/$2M/$1MSB/$$1M cap

Total on 2013 Cap: $23M

Still $4.4 over---and I need to subtract the draft allocation---but at this point it's close enough.

6. 2013 Arizona Cardinals Draft:

1 (#7): Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
1 (#21): Barrett Jones, C, Alabama
2 (#38): Larry Warford, G, Kentucky
3(#69): Corey Lemonier, DE/OLB, Auburn
3 (#83): Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina
4 (#100): Tavares King, WR, Georgia
4 (#108): Nigel Malone, CB, Kansas St.
5 (#129): Zeke Motta, S, Notre Dame
5 (#133): Jake Stoneburner, TE, Ohio St.
5 (#145): David Quessenberry, T/G, San Jose St.
5 (#156): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas St.
6 (#165): Duke Williams, S, Nevada
6 (#166): Sean Renfree, QB, Duke
6 (#179): Meshak Williams, OLB/DE, Kansas St.
7 (#201): Sheldon Price, CB/S, UCLA

7. 2013 Arizona Cardinals Depth Chart:

Offense:

LT Levi Brown/Nate Potter
LG Chance Warmack/Senio Kelemete
C Barrett Jones/Senio Kelemete/David Quessenberry
RG Larry Warford/David Quessenberry
RT Bobbie Massie/Levi Brown/David Quessenberry

TE Rob Housler/Jeff King/Jake Stoneburner/HB Anthony Sherman
WR Mike Wallace/Tavares King
WR Michael Floyd/Andre Roberts/LaRon Byrd

QB Matt Moore/John Skelton/Sean Renfree
RB Ryan Williams/Marcus Lattimore*/William Powell/Fozzy Whitaker

Defense:

LDE: Randy Starks/David Carter
NT: David Williams/Rickey Lumpkin
RDE: Calais Campbell/David Carter/Ronald Talley

LOLB: Sam Acho/Quinton Groves/Zach Nash/Meshak Williams
LILB: Reggie Walker/Colin Parker
RILB: Daryl Washington/Arthur Brown
ROLB: Corey Lemonier/O'Brien Schofield/Zach Nash

LCB: Patrick Peterson/Michael Adams/Sheldon Price
FS: Rashad Johnson/Duke Williams/Sheldon Price
SS: Zeke Motta/Justin Bethel
RCB: Greg Toler/Jammel Fleming/Nigel Malone

K: Jay Feely
P: Dave Zastudil
LS: Mike Leach

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
somers reported today that fitz cannot be traded. I cant click past the headline so not sure why

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
somers reported today that fitz cannot be traded. I cant click past the headline so not sure why

Cap hit is $15mil... BAM!
In August of 2011, Fitzgerald signed an extension that includes a $10 million signing bonus and a $15 million option bonus. For cap purposes, those numbers are prorated through the contract. At least $15 million of Fitzgerald’s bonuses have yet to be accounted for under the salary cap. I won’t get into some of the arcane cap rules, but if the Cardinals traded Fitzgerald, they would still be on the hook for that $15 million.
As for the players at the top of the list:
The following players, imo, are not worth their current salaries this year and moving forward: (2013 Cap Figures in Parenthesis)

QB Kevin Kolb ($13.5M)
DE Darnell Dockett ($7.7M)
G Daryn Colledge ($7.275M)
LB Stewart Bradley ($$6.5M)
S Kerry Rhodes ($6M)
S Adrian Wilson ($4.93M)
G Adam Snyder ($4M)
C Lyle Sendlein ($3.675M)
CB William Gay ($3.675M)
RB Beanie Wells ($2.42M)
WR Early Doucet ($2.25M)
I've posted in other threads that I think we'll see a lot of new faces (60%+) new faces on offense. Anyone not numbered 11 should be looking over their shoulder. And, probably 3 or 4 new on D.

I don't know all of the cap intricacies, but if what Mitch states is true I could see several of those happening - name wise. Probably more restructuring. BA has barely been on the job a month and I don't expect much action until FA and draft up to camp.

Mike is eating Whiz's contract and I fully expect a significant roster turnover. Trust me, they're working a lot of scenarios w/ the cap and how to finagle it. There's plenty of time, let's just stay patient and see how things unfold.

Oh yeah.... Bill Davis and Eagles DC? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wallace is on record saying he wants 'Fitz type money'.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
wow i appreciate the time you spent on that- But so far the new staffs theme is pretty much rainbows shooting out their AZ - as far as our current players. I expect we don't change much this year- because the evaluations you made on one of the most dysfunctional teams I ever witnessed ( the 2012 Cardinals) will sky rocket.

Now Horton took the same group of defenders and flipped them from last to great after a lockout - before Horton we were near last in every statistical category, offense, defense, and ST's. It wasn't the players - when every unit sucks across the board it shouts at the staff and management.

The true evaluation comes this preseason forward- I think that continuity will take time and regular season game experience- We are young in some good places - I expect a bulk of long term need and transition will come at the Bye next year-

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This is the freaking NFL. You will have pro bowl level players on your team if you have half a chance of winning anything and they have high salaries. It is a blessing and not a curse to have a player like Fitz. The same goes for Dockett and players like Rhodes who are pro bowl caliber players in my book. A player like Wilson simply deserves that kind of money for everything he has done for this franchise.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I love it Mitch, you gave us 15 draft picks! That's crazy stuff. You have us signing only three FAs outside of the present roster. I do have to admit when you remove Fitz from the WR group it doesn't look all that awesome.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
This is the freaking NFL. You will have pro bowl level players on your team if you have half a chance of winning anything and they have high salaries. It is a blessing and not a curse to have a player like Fitz. The same goes for Dockett and players like Rhodes who are pro bowl caliber players in my book. A player like Wilson simply deserves that kind of money for everything he has done for this franchise.

+1

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Bingo

I wish people would think these moves through rather than come to simple conclusions. Then again, this thread is called "The Stupidest Offseason Plan," so I guess saying to trade top-tier players and team leaders is appropriate.

Sam Wise

Big, Dumb, Stupid Looking
Reaction score
S Kerry Rhodes to the Falcons for their 5th round pick (#156). They lose William Moore to free agency and need a FS.

This is nuts, Rhodes remains a top tier FS, and he is only 30. A 5th rounder gets us scrubbish. These are the cap hits for the top 10 safties for 2013.

1 Michael Huff at Safety $11,288,750
2 Tyvon Branch at Safety $10,900,000
3 Eric Berry at Safety $10,211,700
4 Troy Polamalu at Safety $10,137,500
5 Charles Woodson at Safety $9,437,500
6 Antrel Rolle at Safety $9,250,000
7 Quintin Mikell at Safety $9,000,000
8 Eric Weddle at Safety $8,600,000
9 Roman Harper at Safety $7,100,000
10 Dawan Landry at Safety $6,700,000

Oddly Rhodes is fairly comparable to most of them even though some are SS. Too say he isn't worth 6 mil is ludicrous and to trade him for a 5th rounder is even dumber. Oh yeah you don't even have us replacing him.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

This is nuts, Rhodes remains a top tier FS, and he is only 30. A 5th rounder gets us scrubbish. These are the cap hits for the top 10 safties for 2013.

1 Michael Huff at Safety $11,288,750
2 Tyvon Branch at Safety $10,900,000
3 Eric Berry at Safety $10,211,700
4 Troy Polamalu at Safety $10,137,500
5 Charles Woodson at Safety $9,437,500
6 Antrel Rolle at Safety $9,250,000
7 Quintin Mikell at Safety $9,000,000
8 Eric Weddle at Safety $8,600,000
9 Roman Harper at Safety $7,100,000
10 Dawan Landry at Safety $6,700,000

Oddly Rhodes is fairly comparable to most of them even though some are SS. Too say he isn't worth 6 mil is ludicrous and to trade him for a 5th rounder is even dumber. Oh yeah you don't even have us replacing him.

Exactly!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I do my crazy off-season plan once a year---and while it requires hours of work---I wind up learning a lot.

I, myself, don't take the plan seriously, as it will never happen, but along the way i discover aspects about the difficult decisions that need to be considered and made...it also helps me zero in on the players I like in each round of the draft.

Here's what I learned this time:

1. Welcome to Disner World!

Mike Disner (the new Dir. of Football Adm.) and Debbie Pollom (Exec. Asst.) have quite a challenge on their hands, dealing with bad contracts and the task of creating some wiggle room for signing the team's own free agents and hopefully a few new FAs from other teams.

2. Salary Cuts:

It would seem likely that the FO is going to have to ask a number of the Cardinals veterans to take salary cuts---and based on recent performances several of them clearly are not performing on a level commensurate with what they are being paid.

The veteran players that immediately come to mind are:

Kevin Kolb
Daryn Colledge
Adam Snyder
Lyle Sendlein
Early Doucet
Stewart Bradley
William Gay

The team doesn't lose much by releasing Doucet and Gay---which would clear over $5M of cap space right there.

I was going to list Darnell Dockett, but maybe going back to his old role as a one gap penetrator will boost his performance and production.

But, what happens if Kolb, Colledge, Snyder, Sendlein and/or Bradley are not amenable to taking pay cuts?

If that's the case, the decisions become even tougher.

The reality is the Cardinals are going to have to eat some money---if they intend on upgrading the talent.

This is where Disner and Pollom can figure out the best ways to pay the dead money off.

3. Fitzgerald.

This is the hardest scenario of all---because his next three years of cap huts are 2013---$10.25M; 2014---$18M; 2015---$21.25M.

The profound irony is that as much as Fitzgerald insists he want a ring, his salary prevents the team from acquiring a championship level supporting cast.

Of course, I don't want to trade him---but I have issues with him beyond the money as well.

This organization has become more about him than the team and that really bothers and concerns me.

There are other loyal veterans on this team who have toiled very hard for years and wanted desperately to win a ring---

It also concerns me how easily Fitzgerald was bracketed this year---the elite WRs in the league can find ways to beat double teams. Fitzgerald is getting worse at it---yes partly because he's dis-spirited by it and also because he is playing slower than ever before.

4. Rhodes and Wilson.

They take up over 1/12th of the cap---one can make a case for Rhodes staying at $6M. I don't think he's worth that as FS, but he did play well this year and if he forced the run from the FS position it would make $6M seem more acceptable, but what he really is is a SS. If he plays SS, I am ok with $6M.

As for Wilson---it's heartbreaking because you love the guy---but he no longer is a willing tackler and he still seems prone to coverage blunders. His $4.925M cap figure is too high.

What Wilson needs to be at this point in his career is a situational defender/blitzer---a nickel attacker from the edge or up the middle and sometimes underneath cover man. But, $4.925 is too much to pay for a situational player.

5. Kolb and the QB Situation:

I was never in favor of the Kolb contract---I also questioned his toughness when he was in Philly and during year 1 with the Cardinals. This past year I was impressed with the way he hung in there, and I think that the way he was called out in pre-season by DT Tommy Kelly was the best thing that could have happened to him---it sure motivated him.

Even though I was happy to see Kolb step up, I still didn't see a franchise QB in Kolb....not one worth paying 1/12 of the salary cap on.

The other options in FA and the draft leave a great deal of question marks.

The only solace I feel at this point is that I feel confident that once BA and TM identify their QB we will become excited about the QB position once again.

Who that QB is---I have no idea.

If the decision is to continue to feed Kolb's enormous bank account and to continue to bide out time with him, I will feel very disappointed.

Thus---to me the Kolb decision is a no-brainer as in no mas. Move on.

I picked Matt Moore because i have always thought he was very capable---and he wouldn't cost draft picks, a la Smith, Weeden or Mallett.

As for the draft options---

I have a sense that Matt Barkley could wind up being the best pro. Throwing 76 TDs in the past 2 years has something to do with that. But, to me he has the best and most consistent throwing motion in this class.

The others are hard to get too excited about, each for different reasons.

If we want Barkley---we can forget about Chance Warmack---but then I think of Larry Warford in Round 2 and think that would be a good 1-2 combo.

It's tough to sell Barkley to this board for 2 reasons: (1) the Leinart setback...and the stigma on USC QBs; (2) the vitriol in Arizona for anything to do with USC, especially the likes of Pete Carroll and the latest hot-shot pretty-boy QB.

But---I can't imagine going through yet another year of not knowing who "the guy" is today and moving forward at QB.

That said, I would be inclined to draft Barkley at #7---I do think there's a very good chance Buffalo would take him at #8.

Then G Larry Warford at #38...or, if he's still available, the o-lineman I really like is T/G Kyle Long.

At #69, I like Corey Lemonier, the edge rusher from Auburn...although another player I love is WR Quinton Patton, Lousiana Tech. I think he would be a perfect fit in Arians' offense.

So from there:

7. Matt Barkley, QB, USC or Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
38. Kyle Long, T/G, Oregon or Larry Warford, G, Kentucky
69. Corey Lemonier, OLB, Auburn or Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
100. Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas St.
133. Nigel Malone, CB, Kansas St.
165. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama
166. Duke Williams, S, Nevada
179. Joe Kruger, DE, Utah

6. Coaching Up the Roster

What I keep trying to remind myself is how several of the players who did not play well last year might be rejuvenated this year and really step up.

There's a good deal of talent here that could well be coached up.

It should be very interesting to see.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I Then G Larry Warford at #38...or, if he's still available, the o-lineman I really like is T/G Kyle Long.

At #69, I like Corey Lemonier, the edge rusher from Auburn...although another player I love is WR Quinton Patton, Lousiana Tech. I think he would be a perfect fit in Arians' offense.

So from there:

7. Matt Barkley, QB, USC or Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
38. Kyle Long, T/G, Oregon or Larry Warford, G, Kentucky
69. Corey Lemonier, OLB, Auburn or Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
100. Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas St.
133. Nigel Malone, CB, Kansas St.
165. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama
166. Duke Williams, S, Nevada
179. Joe Kruger, DE, Utah

Love Warford! Drafting Chance Warmack with our first and Larry Warford with our second would be very interesting. Talk about a pair of bull dozers on your interior OL. Too bad we have Snyder sucking up cap space there already.

Think of the knickname "War Pigs!" That would be worth it right there!

Sam Wise

Big, Dumb, Stupid Looking
Reaction score
Kevin Kolb, cut or restructure for 5 mil a year
Daryn Colledge, restructure
Adam Snyder, Trade ofr a 5th or 6th or Cut, cut, cut
Lyle Sendlein, 3.7 ain't bad he had very little help on either side. Still considered by most a starter.
Early Doucet, not sure what happened to him, but likely cut.
Stewart Bradley, see if anyone will give the contract to feed Dan Williams otherwise cut
William Gay, dumbest move of last year's FA, cut

7. Matt Barkley, QB, USC Seriously? Umm we already drafted a Matt from USC who was an oddly similar QB with the same pedigree. 3rd rounder at best.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Kevin Kolb, cut or restructure for 5 mil a year
Daryn Colledge, restructure
Adam Snyder, Trade ofr a 5th or 6th or Cut, cut, cut
Lyle Sendlein, 3.7 ain't bad he had very little help on either side. Still considered by most a starter.
Early Doucet, not sure what happened to him, but likely cut.
Stewart Bradley, see if anyone will give the contract to feed Dan Williams otherwise cut
William Gay, dumbest move of last year's FA, cut

7. Matt Barkley, QB, USC Seriously? Umm we already drafted a Matt from USC who was an oddly similar QB with the same pedigree. 3rd rounder at best.

Go watch Barkley at Oregon and at Arizona in 2011. You might change your mind. I am serious. He has significant talent. The Leinart comparisons are not appropriate, imo. Barkley is a much better thrower of the football.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Love Warford! Drafting Chance Warmack with our first and Larry Warford with our second would be very interesting. Talk about a pair of bull dozers on your interior OL. Too bad we have Snyder sucking up cap space there already.

Think of the knickname "War Pigs!" That would be worth it right there!

Snyder did play better at center---

The War Cards! Love it!

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Go watch Barkley at Oregon and at Arizona in 2011. You might change your mind. I am serious. He has significant talent. The Leinart comparisons are not appropriate, imo. Barkley is a much better thrower of the football.

He is better than Leinart, but I think the Cards learned their lesson w/ Beanie and drafting damaged goods.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
This is tank at the start but then I drool when I see that draft

One other thing I learned, Lucky 11...with extra picks, you have the luxury of taking a guy like RB Marcus Lattimore. That sure could quite the Adrian Peterson tears, if and when Lattimore gets 100%.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
4. Rhodes and Wilson.

They take up over 1/12th of the cap---one can make a case for Rhodes staying at $6M. I don't think he's worth that as FS, but he did play well this year and if he forced the run from the FS position it would make $6M seem more acceptable, but what he really is is a SS. If he plays SS, I am ok with $6M.

I think Rhodes is way overrated. The Defense didn't miss a beat when he went out the last half of 2011. Always seemed to me to be a Frank Sanders kind of player. Makes a great play and then blows the easy one.

Rashad Johnson and Larry Sanders can play the position just as well at much less cost. It would also be great to get a guy like Baccari Rambo in this year's draft.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
No one will ever be able to convince me that Barkley is anywhere near the prospect that Leinart was when he came out of USC.

We all know how it played out..... But Matty was twice the Pro Prospect that Matt Barkley is.

Heisman.... National titles.... And the fact that he is the #1 pick if he doesn't go back for his senior year.

Barkley over Leinart coming out of college is fools hindsight IMO.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
No one will ever be able to convince me that Barkley is anywhere near the prospect that Leinart was when he came out of USC.

We all know how it played out..... But Matty was twice the Pro Prospect that Matt Barkley is.

Heisman.... National titles.... And the fact that he is the #1 pick if he doesn't go back for his senior year.

Barkley over Leinart coming out of college is fools hindsight IMO.

It will be very interesting to compare their NFL records.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05