The Suns next big move

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No, I am not conceding that team is playoff bound. I think a low playoff seed is their ceiling, and seeing as we'd be capped out and probably will have surrendered picks to create the potential mediocrity, I don't know how that team gets any better.

But you need at least two or three stars on a team to get anywhere...and they need to be paid. Other teams have done it and I dont see our picks as difference makers. Yeah we have Rubio on payroll too but he'd be dishing dimes to Kat and Book all day. If we got to keep Oubre and Bridges that team could be a wild card. Probably very fun to watch too!

Plus how do we go from cellar team to top 4 seed? We need to walk before we can run. Seven or eight seed is light years from where we've been

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You know...fans get too hung up on championships. There is a entertainment value of having a run and gun high scoring team. Only one team wins the championship. I'm bored with this crap...

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But you need at least two or three stars on a team to get anywhere...and they need to be paid. Other teams have done it and I dont see our picks as difference makers. Yeah we have Rubio on payroll too but he'd be dishing dimes to Kat and Book all day. If we got to keep Oubre and Bridges that team could be a wild card. Probably very fun to watch too!

Plus how do we go from cellar team to top 4 seed? We need to walk before we can run. Seven or eight seed is light years from where we've been

We're not far off from a playoff seed as is and I don't know that trading Ayton, filler and picks for KAT makes us any better at all. I am not claiming that getting we can only look at moves that make a huge jump. I am saying that I don't think Booker and KAT will take us anywhere.

If we're going to start making franchise altering trades I'd rather look elsewhere. The stuff that has frustrated people with the Suns... the streakiness, the lack of toughness, bad defense, injuries... KAT doesn't fix any of that, he exemplifies those traits.

And I also don't think uniting Booker with his buddy is necessarily a good thing.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know...fans get too hung up on championships. There is a entertainment value of having a run and gun high scoring team. Only one team wins the championship. I'm bored with this crap...

Minnesota is dead last in attendance. I think you should watch more of him if you think he'd fix the "fun" problem. He is a jump shooter who doesn't do anything unless the ball is in his hands.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Minnesota is dead last in attendance. I think you should watch more of him if you think he'd fix the "fun" problem. He is a jump shooter who doesn't do anything unless the ball is in his hands.

Yeah I haven't seen him much...I go by the stat line...which is impressive. But you could say the same thing about Booker. The "fun" part could be hooking him up with a actual team. Hey if we have other avenues then by all means but I don't think the status quo can go on much longer

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I haven't seen him much...I go by the stat line...which is impressive. But you could say the same thing about Booker. The "fun" part could be hooking him up with a actual team. Hey if we have other avenues then by all means but I don't think the status quo can go on much longer

I will agree KAT's game isn't that entertaining - but Booker's is, and just the ability to win games will make the team more entertaining.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree with that.

But IMO, KAT is directly in-line with our current status quo.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns and Raptors reportedly have interest in Danilo Gallinari.

NBA Central‏ @TheNBACentral

The Toronto Raptors and Phoenix Suns have shown interest in Danilo Gallinari, per @EricPincus

12:54 PM - 9 Jan 2020

Watch James Jones give up what future assets we have left for a rental in Gallinari, who does not address any of our weaknesses at the power forward spot and is basically just a better shooting version of Dario Saric.

James Jones needs to be jettisoned before he permanently cripples this franchise.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Suns and Raptors reportedly have interest in Danilo Gallinari.

NBA Central‏ @TheNBACentral

The Toronto Raptors and Phoenix Suns have shown interest in Danilo Gallinari, per @EricPincus

12:54 PM - 9 Jan 2020
If we could swap Saric and Tyler Johnson for Gallinari I would be all for it. I guessing OKC would want more than that though. 2nd round picks (or maybe Carter) are the only future assets I would be willing to part with.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we could swap Saric and Tyler Johnson for Gallinari I would be all for it. I guessing OKC would want more than that though. 2nd round picks (or maybe Carter) are the only future assets I would be willing to part with.

there's no way that deal happens unless we're throwing in first round picks or... I guess... Bridges, who I'd be very surprised if he had much value.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
there's no way that deal happens unless we're throwing in first round picks or... I guess... Bridges, who I'd be very surprised if he had much value.

What I am hearing is Tyler Johnson and an unprotected first, which in my opinion would be asinine.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If we chucked Bridges into a trade just for the hell of it, I would lose my ish.

Bridges isn't an offensive force by any stretch but he is already an elite defender at his position. We give up 9 less points per 100 possessions when Bridges is on the court. When he is in the game we've outscored the opposition by 3.2 points per 100 possessions, when he is out we've been outscored by 3.4.

He is an ACTUAL positive contributor, in his 2nd season of his rookie deal. Trading him for a rental would be colossally stupid.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I agree that what I (and hopefully the Suns) are willing to give up won't be enough. I like Gallinari but it doesn't seem like we have the "right " assets that would make the deal worth it for both sides.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
What I am hearing is Tyler Johnson and an unprotected first, which in my opinion would be asinine.

So you’d be a fan considering you hate his drafting ability? Gallinari is a huge upgrade but a few months playing for the Suns would sour him on re-signing a short term deal.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So you’d be a fan considering you hate his drafting ability? Gallinari is a huge upgrade but a few months playing for the Suns would sour him on re-signing a short term deal.

Either way, it is a complete waste of a lottery pick, which is why I want James Jones gone ASAP.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agree. Suns can't give up too much beyond expiring contracts. I'm not sure the Suns can offer OKC enough. A 1st round pick is too much.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And back on the motor... Ayton's "motor" has been fine, he has been busting his butt on defense and on the glass. Where Ayton worries me is his settling for garbage long jumpers.
Yeah, no. Do you just look at stats or do you watch Ayton. I can’t help it, I key in him every time he’s in the court. He’s an opportunity rebounder. He doesn’t fight for position or effectively box out.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gallo doesn’t help this team at all. Ugh

Unless it's Saric being traded for him, I would argue it actually makes it worse, as we have yet another soft, unathletic forward who can't defend or really do anything other than score.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, no. Do you just look at stats or do you watch Ayton. I can’t help it, I key in him every time he’s in the court. He’s an opportunity rebounder. He doesn’t fight for position or effectively box out.

This. He floats around both offensively and defensively. He is extremely light on his feet, but not in a good way. He never tries to out-muscle who he's guarding or jockey for position on the boards.

Also, on the rare occasion he attempts to back down his opponent on offense, if he gets the slightest bit of resistance, he bails out and passes or shoots a fade away.

Last edited:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah I haven't seen him much...I go by the stat line...which is impressive. But you could say the same thing about Booker.

1. yes, that would be 2 max players, offensive focused, who don't do much without the ball
2. Booker, KAT and Russell being friends who want to play together is a negative for me. what Booker lacks most to lead a championship contender is maturity and leadership. didn't both KAT & Russell have maturity issues, with teammates and such?

that being said, KAT would be a big improvement over Ayton, but i'm not keen on the Suns trading yet another player when their stock is low. Ayton should get himself back to at least last year's level in the coming weeks, then let's talk

i'd also be happy to watch Ayton improve here over the years, but it seems clear he'll never be as tough as we need him to be. i can't complain if he's just one of the best centers the Suns have ever had (and doesn't cost max money)

i checked in for the KAT takes. i agree with most of the pro's & con's on this one. i'd like to think the KAT move would do for the Suns what Barkley did, but Barkley was a fire breathing dragon. KAT may be more of a Danny Manning

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blake Griffin is a broken down husk of the player he once was with an ATROCIOUS contract. He's averaging 15 ppg, 4.7 rebounds and 3.3 assists while shooting 35% from the field and I think I just read that he's being shut down for the rest of the season with another knee surgery.

The only thing we'd be killing is our cap and any hope of actually getting better at some point before Booker demands a trade.

Why do you think he'd give us a legit PF?!

This guy probably will never have a healthy full season the rest of his career.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gallo doesn’t help this team at all. Ugh

He would help some, but not an unprotected first amount of help - that would be way too much - he is older than Kevin love.