The Suns vs. Manu

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
That was a great win last night in a hard, physical game. :thumbup:

Wow, the Suns players really, really hate Manu Ginobili. Last year Stat elbowed him and Q kicked him while he was down.

Last night Raja elbowed him twice in the head while tussling for the loose ball. Even dear, sweet Stevie Nash got in on the act by smacking him in the back of the head when he tried to steal the ball (that was the highlight of the night, IMO).

Poor Manu! :D

I think Raja's feisty-ness is rubbing off on Nash.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Don't forget Thomas giving him an elbow when they were tangled up on a screen.

If Ginobili were just a thug, the Suns could stay out of his way and ignore him. But he's such a dangerous scorer that the Suns need to do everything they can to reduce his effectiveness (not that they succeeded last night). Since he'll get fouls called in his favor when there is no contact, it's only fair that sometimes the Suns get to hit him with no foul.

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know which team (not player--apparently that is Raja) Ginobili has the most trouble with? Or which type of team? Does he respond well to physical play?

jibikao

Reaction score
We can be nasty with Manu but Bowen certainly is nasty too...don't forget.

Manu is the king of flops. He caused Barbosa's injury, remember? How can we not hate him?

Since the refs are so useless, we might as well use some dirty tricks to hurt Manu and hopefully he doesn't drive in that easily. That's not how Sonics treated him in last year's playoff.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Since he'll get fouls called in his favor when there is no contact, it's only fair that sometimes the Suns get to hit him with no foul.

I like your thinking especially after watching his flopping injure Barbosa earlier in the year. There is nothing wrong with a hard foul as long as it's clean and not meant to cause permanent injury.

I am especially getting tired of seeing Steve Nash roughed up (not as bad last night) with few calls from the referees. If the Suns are not going to get the benefit of foul calls, there's nothing wrong with playing physical. As a matter of fact, I think this new found aggressiveness was purposely brought in by the acquisition of KT and Bell.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
It was about this time last year that he dropped 48 on the Suns.

He's just recovering from an injury but the Suns obviously did a much better job defensively last night than they did last year. I think the Spurs had 125 points in that game.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I think the refs are finally catching on to his flopper label, he has made fools of them many times in his career and I am sure they have discussed it off the clock, once you get a label with the NBA refs it's very hard to change it.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The other part of his game the refs had NOT caught on to is how often Manu gets away with clearing out with his off arm when going to the basket.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Nash was obviously fouled by Ginobli BEFORE Nash hit him in the back of the head. It really should have been foul on Ginobli, then T on Nash for the punch. So I guess it worked out in a way. :shrug:

Nash cleanly had the ball off the tip, then Ginobli runs over Nash and strips the ball away, and they blow the whistle on Nash? WTF?

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
I think what set nash off was when raja dived for that loose ball and got it under manu, manu then jumped onto bell and they started a scuffle. Nash was over there trying to pull manu off and then a short while later manu tries to stomp over nash to get the steal and that pretty much got him very pissed off.

jibikao

Reaction score
Wow, too bad I didn't watch last night's game.

It takes A LOT to piss off Nash. He is the Mr. Nice Guy and even he was physical with Manu!!! lol

Revenge for Barbosa!

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Saying the Suns don't like Floppy is like saying the grass is green.

It seems he is disliked by pretty much everybody outside the city of San Antonio and the the country of Argentina.

jibikao

Reaction score
devilalum said:
Saying the Suns don't like Floppy is like saying the grass is green.

It seems he is disliked by pretty much everybody outside the city of San Antonio and the the country of Argentina.

I know Manu is VERY HATED in Sonics and Nuggest community. lol

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DeAnna said:
Poor Manu! :D

Poor Manu? I hate him...he's such a Vlade Divac flopping freak...sure, I'd like him on my team, but I think he's such a cheap player sometimes...

Mike

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
I think the refs are finally catching on to his flopper label, he has made fools of them many times in his career and I am sure they have discussed it off the clock, once you get a label with the NBA refs it's very hard to change it.

Yep. It's going to be difficult to shake that tag.

Don't know if it's has anything to do with him being foreign, but I definitely notice a difference.

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
devilalum said:

That is grossly incorrect. Even one of the most famous player to ever where a Suns jersey luvs him. He was voted into the All-Star game by "the fans". Suns fans have great reason to hate him though. If I were you, I probably would also.

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
jibikao said:
I know Manu is VERY HATED in Sonics and Nuggest community. lol

That's because they are represented by Crybaby Number 1 & Number 2 (Cry Allen and George Karl).

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Shawty said:
That is grossly incorrect. Even one of the most famous player to ever where a Suns jersey luvs him. He was voted into the All-Star game by "the fans". Suns fans have great reason to hate him though. If I were you, I probably would also.

I've never met anybody that likes him.

That POS crippled LB!!!!!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Shawty is referring to Barkley, who likes Ginobili's game a lot. Whether you've met Barkley isn't really the point.

I don't like Ginobili either, but get your facts straight. Barbosa slipped on a slick spot of the floor with no contact from another player. The injury he sustained in the mix-up with Ginobili was minor and has nothing to do with his current situation.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He was voted into the All-Star game by "the fans".

Misinformation abounds, apparently. Ginobili was never voted by the fans into the All-Star game.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Shawty is referring to Barkley, who likes Ginobili's game a lot. Whether you've met Barkley isn't really the point.

I don't like Ginobili either, but get your facts straight. Barbosa slipped on a slick spot of the floor with no contact from another player. The injury he sustained in the mix-up with Ginobili was minor and has nothing to do with the current situation.

I disagree. He injured himself the second time because he was favoring the first injury. The "mix up" with Floppy knocked LB out for 2 weeks. It should of knocked him out longer, he came back too soon.

If the first injury had not happened the second would never have occured.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I disagree. He injured himself the second time because he was favoring the first injury.

The Suns' medical staff has said over and over that this is not true. In fact either Leander or Johnson repeated the statement again just last night.

There are plenty of good reasons to dislike Ginobili, but if we don't stick to the facts, it makes all of us look stupid and petty.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I disagree. He injured himself the second time because he was favoring the first injury.

The Suns' medical staff has said over and over that this is not true. In fact either Leander or Johnson repeated the statement again just last night.

There are plenty of good reasons to dislike Ginobili, but if we don't stick to the facts, it makes all of us look stupid and petty.

I think they keep saying this because they don't want to look like they rushed him back to fast. Watch the game where LB hurt it the second time. It was obvious that he was favoring the first injury. They even made a comment about him not being 100% before the game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05