The Tight End Position

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those that are of the Sky Is Falling camp when it comes to the TE position, I want you to remember this thread.

We will not lose games because of deficiencies at that position. Yeah, it might end up being an area of secondary concern next off-season, but it will be at the very least 'okay' this season.

My guess is that Bergen or Blizzard steps up and really contributes significantly (not a Shockey- or Heap-significant, but more like Jeb Putzier-significant) for us this season.

The TE position is definately one of those spots on a team where you don't need a household name to be good. We've got at least three guys on the squad right now that have the potential to be pretty good, IMO.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pariah said:
For those that are of the Sky Is Falling camp when it comes to the TE position, I want you to remember this thread.

We will not lose games because of deficiencies at that position. Yeah, it might end up being an area of secondary concern next off-season, but it will be at the very least 'okay' this season.

My guess is that Bergen or Blizzard steps up and really contributes significantly (not a Shockey- or Heap-significant, but more like Jeb Putzier-significant) for us this season.

The TE position is definately one of those spots on a team where you don't need a household name to be good. We've got at least three guys on the squad right now that have the potential to be pretty good, IMO.

I'll take any thing over Freebie Freddie...

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Blizzard would do a job i think!! i have watched most of his games over here in NFLE and he has looked good. I think he is a lot leaner than his figures show and looks like he could gain a few YAC in the NFL to me.

He blocks ok and lets be honest he cant be worse the Freddie when it comes to blocking!

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Q, Fitz, and Johnson at WR and Bajo and Shipp coming out of the backfield to catch, everyone will forget about the TE. I still think we might keep Hodgins and use him for a lead blocker playing where the TE would line up.

spanky1

Reaction score
40yearfan said:
With Q, Fitz, and Johnson at WR and Bajo and Shipp coming out of the backfield to catch, everyone will forget about the TE. I still think we might keep Hodgins and use him for a lead blocker playing where the TE would line up.

Hodgins costs us $1MM.........you want to pay him this kind of money as a part time blocker? :shrug:

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Hodgins costs us $1MM.........you want to pay him this kind of money as a part time blocker? :shrug:
Why not? It's either we have an effective part-time blocker, or the Bidwills have and extra $1M.

In the first scenario, I, as a fan, get to watch Hodgins block and possibly contribute to big plays. In scenario number two, I don't.

Saving the Bidwills money doesn't do me personally any good. And, since I don't know them (but I hear they can afford it), I really don't care if they're out a few bucks.

Last edited:

cdex99

Registered
Reaction score
I know he's a bit on the short side but why not use Hodgins as a part time TE. The guy can block and has somewhat soft hands. Just a thought, probably won't happen. How was Klinsauser(sp) used when Denny was in Minny production wise?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kleinsasser was used as both a blocking TE and an H-Back when Denny was coaching the Vikes. Denny really never had a big time pass catching TE. He mainly wanted the TE position for blocking with some pass catching skills. (Remember he had Moss, Carter and Reed.)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tight End is a position where it is not unreasonable to expect to be able to pick up an adequate player late in the summer.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
<<echo>>>

Maybe we can sign Amare Stoudemire as a tight end. Kid has good hands.

I'm serious.

;)

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm hopeful the new OC, former tight end coach in KC, will be able to devlop our young TE's into solid players. He did a pretty good job with Tony Gonzales.

Wildfire

Registered
Reaction score
For all of you that are bound and determined to write him off, remember the name ERIC EDWARDS.

For some reason he gets 0% respect, but at the end of the season some of you will give it up for Edwards.

:thumbup:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
az jam said:
Kleinsasser was used as both a blocking TE and an H-Back when Denny was coaching the Vikes. Denny really never had a big time pass catching TE. He mainly wanted the TE position for blocking with some pass catching skills. (Remember he had Moss, Carter and Reed.)
Yup, the TE in Green's system isn't the vertical threat, but a blocker that can be a dump-off target for the QB (the role that Femi filled last year).

Edwards is a good blocker with good hands. He fits the bill and will be our starter. Berger and Golliday (Who Rowen brought with him for KC) will push Edwards towards the end of the season, but Edwards will start for most of the season.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
40yearfan said:

An opposing team should never be able to rule out your TE as a threat. We need a proven servicable TE who can catch and block or else it is just one position the opposition can slack off on to help cover other receivers. I do not think we possess such a TE at the moment.

Reaction score
john h said:
An opposing team should never be able to rule out your TE as a threat. We need a proven servicable TE who can catch and block or else it is just one position the opposition can slack off on to help cover other receivers. I do not think we possess such a TE at the moment.

An accurate statement, however releasing Diamond doesn't impact it in the least. There are still five TE's on the Cardinals roster who apparently are better than Diamond.

Reaction score
I really don't feel comfortable with any of our TE'S...but if I had to go with one it would be Edwards. I thought he played okay last year as a rookie, and hopefully he'll get better now that he has a little experience under his belt.

spanky1

Reaction score
The road to the starting TE position will have to get by Golliday..........Rowan is in love with this guy. While we know a bit about Edwards and Blizzard, Golliday is a complete unkown. To assume that Edwards has the leg up is not necessarily true!

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I think we are in really good position with our TEs (no pun intended). Our o-coordinator is a great TE coach, Tony Gonzalez for example. Also, with no clear favorite headed into camp the position will be closely watched and highly contested, so that the best man truly wins the job.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
I think we are in really good position with our TEs (no pun intended). Our o-coordinator is a great TE coach, Tony Gonzalez for example. Also, with no clear favorite headed into camp the position will be closely watched and highly contested, so that the best man truly wins the job.

The problem being that the "best" man may only be poor to average.

Face it, we are all hoping for dimond in the rough, not a polished turd.

VinceBlack

Reaction score
Maybe.......

Maybe we could convince Todd Heap to come back to the valley at the end of the year. I know his contract is up when the season is over. If the Cards could become quick contenders, he would have to consider it as an option.

What do you think?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Never cut what you can untie.
Speaking of that, the Cards just untied Lorenzo Diamond (one less TE to clutter up the depth chart).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan