Thinking About Q

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
If he is going to matched up against the other teams SF, he is not going to be a very effective post up player.

I think that Q relies on the 3 because he is not athletic as the others in the lineup to create his own shots, and that is where others get there mid range shots. I can't remember Q ever dunking on a drive through the lane, I just don't see him as a strong finisher when he gets to the hoop either.

He is an effective defender because he is willing to take a charge, something that the other Suns are not likely to do. Again I think there are other players out there willing to do the same.

I remember his doing it several times this year. Fake the 3 and then drive.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
It is worthless placing blame on Q's contract when you can just as well come up with the same arguement about Nash and Shawn's contracts.

totally agree. And colorado - wasn't it Q who actually dunked on Duncan in Game2? Wasn't it Q who was going to the rack in Games 3 and 4 in SA?

Q and his contract aren't the problems on this team - youth, inexperience and lack of depth are. Hopefully those will be areas will be remedied this offseason.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
I do not think so.........Nash and Shawn are worth a "WHOLE LOT" more to this team than Q.
You can not replace Nash, and would have a hard time replacing Shawn.

I could replace Q PDQ for the same or less money.....Iguodala to start! (to late)

Probably Swift for the same money, DeMarr Johnson, Jon Barry, probably Bobby Simmons, Raja Bell had an excellent year with Utah.

I think Q is a 6th man, and those names are off the top of my head without looking at the free agents.

Iguodala? He's more athletic, isn't that great of a shooter, but he can rebound and gets steals like Q.

They are very similar, why would you want basically the same player. If Iguodala's shot can be coached, why can't Qs to be more accurate.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I like Igoudala as a grad of UofA, but can we PLEASE just forget about him? We' didn't get him, we're not going to get him, so there is NO REASON to continually blame Q for us not picking him! Can those of you with this bizarre fascination please move on?

sunsfn

Reaction score
JPlay said:
Iguodala? He's more athletic, isn't that great of a shooter, but he can rebound and gets steals like Q.

They are very similar, why would you want basically the same player. If Iguodala's shot can be coached, why can't Qs to be more accurate.

Iguodala is making about 5 mil less per year, and is considerably a better defender, and is bigger.

I like Q, but my point was that the suns tied up too much money in Q and now are going to have a problem getting a veteran big too take this team further than they went this year. I doubt that Hunter can do it.

Q is better than some of those players I listed on my answer before, but with someone like Swift those players would be great off the bench to help this team for a whole lot less money.

Now they have to hope they can get a big man that can help this team closer to the minimum and that will be very hard to do.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
Iguodala is making about 5 mil less per year, and is considerably a better defender, and is bigger.

I like Q, but my point was that the suns tied up too much money in Q and now are going to have a problem getting a veteran big too take this team further than they went this year. I doubt that Hunter can do it.

Q is better than some of those players I listed on my answer before, but with someone like Swift those players would be great off the bench to help this team for a whole lot less money.

Now they have to hope they can get a big man that can help this team closer to the minimum and that will be very hard to do.

Honestly I don't think Iguodala will ever be as explosive offensively as Q is capable of being. You forget how many games Q won for us hitting the big 3 or getting on fire and helping us go ahead on a huge run. Iguodala will always be more of a defensive player that gets garbage points. But Q is still really young and is really the heart of this teams attitude and youthful mentality.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Honestly I don't think Iguodala will ever be as explosive offensively as Q is capable of being. You forget how many games Q won for us hitting the big 3 or getting on fire and helping us go ahead on a huge run. Iguodala will always be more of a defensive player that gets garbage points. But Q is still really young and is really the heart of this teams attitude and youthful mentality.

Absolutely. I believe that Q is one of the most "clutch" players in the NBA today--he's proved it, even with his inconistency this season.

fordronken

Reaction score
I think three years from now, we'll be wishing we had Igoudala. I also think that if the Suns knew he'd be on the board they would have kept their pick. However, Q was a perfect fit for this team during the regular season, and if he'd gone on a hot streak in the Conference Finals(which we still would have lost, by the way), we'd all be singing his praises right now.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I like Igoudala as a grad of UofA, but can we PLEASE just forget about him? We' didn't get him, we're not going to get him, so there is NO REASON to continually blame Q for us not picking him! Can those of you with this bizarre fascination please move on?

I am not blaming Q for not getting Iguodala..........!
I was asked a question and answered it and made my point about the money.

Quit reading something in my post that is not there, just to make a negative post!

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
I am not blaming Q for not getting Iguodala..........!
I was asked a question and answered it and made my point about the money.

Quit reading something in my post that is not there, just to make a negative post!

Of course he's cheaper he's a rookie. You think Q was inconsistent, go look at Iggy's stats game to game, they're all over the place. Believe me I had to pick him up in fantasy basketball because of injuries. It's way too early to speculate on how good Iguodala will be. Q is still the reigning NBA 3 point champ, I'm pretty sure I can say Iguodala will never be that. This Suns team is not nearly as explosive with Q gone. You could see that in the playoffs. The Spurs played Q perfectly, not doubling Nash and staying on Q. Once Q develops a mid range shot, he will be a great weapon. Marion was shut down just as much as Q was.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Theoretically, if Richardson were one of the league's most clutch players, wouldn't he have shown up big in the playoffs? I'm just asking.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Theoretically, if Richardson were one of the league's most clutch players, wouldn't he have shown up big in the playoffs? I'm just asking.

Heh. Just asking, eh? Sounds like being obnoxious... :biglaugh:

But if it were normal that Q would NOT show up at the end of big games, do you think we'd be talking about him as much? Obviously, we all had expecatations of him BASED ON THE REGULAR SEASON, but he didn't live up that, unfortunately--and that can be for any number of reasons: his first playoffs ever, tight defense by the Spurs on him...

fordronken

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Heh. Just asking, eh? Sounds like being obnoxious... :biglaugh:

But if it were normal that Q would NOT show up at the end of big games, do you think we'd be talking about him as much? Obviously, we all had expecatations of him BASED ON THE REGULAR SEASON, but he didn't live up that, unfortunately--and that can be for any number of reasons: his first playoffs ever, tight defense by the Spurs on him...

It's not like he suddenly stopped playing well down the stretch. He pretty much didn't play well for much of the series. By game 5 he was afraid to shoot.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Q had a bad playoff run, but against San Antonio a lot of the Suns were looking bad. Everyone here is so quick to forget that he was a vital part of the Suns re-invention this year. This guy made so many clutch shots and plays throughout the season that I lost count. Not to mention that he's a great rebounder for a guard and he helped change the mentality and gave this team some great energy. I wished he would have kept shooting that three instead of losing confidence in it. He needs to keep shooting, cuz eventually he'll find his stroke.

He doesn't need to be traded, but he still needs to develop his game more. Mid range jumper, post game and defense. He's still a very young player and when he's ON, the Suns are virtually unbeatable.

This was the first time this starting 5 played together, give them time to fine their roles before talks of trading, this team did have the best record in the NBA

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
elindholm said:

Didn't somebody point out that he shot a better percentage from 3 during the playoffs than in the regular season? Was it you (I can't remember) :p

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Didn't somebody point out that he shot a better percentage from 3 during the playoffs than in the regular season? Was it you (I can't remember) :p

Exactly he got tentative. Great shooters keep shooting. He also got hurt and hardly played in the last game.

Reaction score
I don't know that Q "disappeared" during the Playoffs as much as it was exposed that his fit in this system is reliant on JJ to take the defensive pressure off of him. He shot the most threes this year because opposing defenses would rather him shoot than Joe, IMO.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Didn't somebody point out that he shot a better percentage from 3 during the playoffs than in the regular season?

Yep, that was me. The question is, if he's so clutch, how come he didn't find a way to get himself more involved in the key moments of the game?

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
This was the first time this starting 5 played together, give them time to fine their roles before talks of trading, this team did have the best record in the NBA

Again, 600 3 pt. attempts kind of defines his role. This crap about being good in the lockerroom does not help win games on the court.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
Again, 600 3 pt. attempts kind of defines his role. This crap about being good in the lockerroom does not help win games on the court.

Do you get off on this argument? Again - should we have dumped JJ on his ass because he was AWOL during his first playoff experience?

TopGamer

Veteran
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Absolutely. I believe that Q is one of the most "clutch" players in the NBA today--he's proved it, even with his inconistency this season.

I agree. He was the only Sun to get hot late in the Miami game which they lost.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Do you get off on this argument? Again - should we have dumped JJ on his ass because he was AWOL during his first playoff experience?

The expectations were different, why do you want to compare it. JJ was 22, and playing 27 min mostly behind Penny.

Q is 25 and if he is considered "clutch", the playoffs atomsphere should not effect him, right?

Q is never mentioned in regards to "shooting" us out of big leads.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
The expectations were different, why do you want to compare it. JJ was 22, and playing 27 min mostly behind Penny.

Q is 25 and if he is considered "clutch", the playoffs atomsphere should not effect him, right?

Q played for the NBDL for his entire career - he's only just learning what it is to play in the NBA. I'd say for his first season he did pretty well - now that he has playoff experience, hopefully he elevates his game there as he did his clutch ability in the regular season.

Notice - I didn't say anything about Q being clutch - to be clutch means making them when they ultimatley count - in the playoffs. But for a kid who's never played on a competitive team - at least he was able to do it in the regular season - who knows what he'll be able to do withy experi3ence under his belt.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree that he did very well this season, which means his trade value may be as high as it gets. My push to trade him is that you sell high and buy low. We got him at a reasonable price, what we can get in return now might be good.

My trade scenarios have included Denver and Portland. Two teams that he visited last year. If the Suns move him, I could see him happy in both of those locations. I think that with the contribution that he made this year they will try to make him satisfied with where he goes, ala Marbury.

Those are the only two scenerios I can see and will draw up concerning Q.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One of the most difficult issues is to determine which players are going to get better and which won't. As a rule, guys who are over 30 may be able sustain, but aren't likely to get a lot better. Guys who are under 25 aren't certain to get better, but it is vastly more likely than for older guys.

Most of us get very impatient when guys develop slowly. Leandro went from a minor league in Brazil to starting for the Suns a year ago with no prior PG experience and even less coaching. This year he wasn't healthy for much of the year and wasn't as good as the league MVP, so he's a bum.

Q should be further along, but playing on the Clippers is hardly the path to learning to become an all round player. Personally, I was against signing Q because in LA he looked like a typical "me first" Clipper who played no defense.

Due to my limited expectations, I've actually been pretty happy with Q. The main thing is that he has good attitude and seems to be willing to work on his game. After watching JJ's early struggles, I know that hard work can make a difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan