This is why baseball is America's Pasttime

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
One of the unfortunate victims of the senseless attack on the Virginia Tech campus Monday, Brian Bluhm, was a diehard Tiger fan, and was a big supporter of Curtis Granderson. Blume was also a friend of KLL's for the local board angle.

Anyhow, making a long story short here, Granderson's actions, both talking to the media about what Bluhm's fan support meant to the Tigers, to making him his top friend on Myspace, to blogging about him on ESPN.com to quietly donating money to the family of Bluhm, it makes me respect Granderson that much more, and makes me appreciate the sport of baseball and the athletes that are part of it.

PHXSportsFan4

Time for baseball season.
Reaction score
One of the unfortunate victims of the senseless attack on the Virginia Tech campus Monday, Brian Bluhm, was a diehard Tiger fan, and was a big supporter of Curtis Granderson. Blume was also a friend of KLL's for the local board angle.

Anyhow, making a long story short here, Granderson's actions, both talking to the media about what Bluhm's fan support meant to the Tigers, to making him his top friend on Myspace, to blogging about him on ESPN.com to quietly donating money to the family of Bluhm, it makes me respect Granderson that much more, and makes me appreciate the sport of baseball and the athletes that are part of it.
That's a nice story to hear coming off that horrible tragedy. I love Granderson, he seems like a really good guy and it also makes me respect him even more.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
It is one of the more fan friendly major sports. Another example of this is the Nationals wearing the VT caps in their game against the Braves. I don't think any other sport would take a fans suggestion and use a hat that wasn't an official part of their uniform. Baseball gets it with that type of thing.

PHXSportsFan4

Time for baseball season.
Reaction score
It is one of the more fan friendly major sports. Another example of this is the Nationals wearing the VT caps in their game against the Braves. I don't think any other sport would take a fans suggestion and use a hat that wasn't an official part of their uniform. Baseball gets it with that type of thing.
Yep, just like teams wearing the FDNY and NYPD hats in games after 9/11... I think I'd have to agree that baseball is probably the most fan friendly major sport.

Last edited:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the story Jay. I love the Internet. It brings everyone together and makes the world seem so small.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate Jay for posting this thread about Brian "estrepe1" (his screen-name on http:/www.motowntigers.com) Bluhm and also regarding what a class act Curtis Granderson is.

I am still deeply saddened/shocked of the loss of Brian. I hadn't posted on there much since '03, however, he made an impact on me during the brief time we corresponded. We had countless debates on there, but he supported his arguments with extremely high level facts and would never resort to personal attacks since he was way beyond that. One poster on here especially reminds me a lot of him, which is coyoteshockeyfan and that's the highest tribute/praise you can bestow upon anyone.

Curtis Granderson is a throw-back in the terms that he's not doing any of this for personal gain or for exposure, but because he has a strong heart and soul and was deeply touched by how much Brian touted him as a young up-and-coming player and was very supportive of his rise. Granderson is genuine beyond belief, so was Brian.

I posted about Brian on the EE thread regarding this senseless/unjust act. To reiterate what I constantly have been saying.... who cares about the suspect? His identity and anything associated w/him shouldn't have been disclosed. Why? He obviously doesn't receive any attention. The victims, the family, the friends, acquaintances of the victims do. They in essence should be the ones to be remembered.

I never personally met Brian, never interacted with him past the message board, and it had been awhile since we did converse w/each other, but we know how impacting it is to lose someone from a strong internet family community. Motownsports.com is Detroit's version of ASFN. Several go back nearly a decade and established their own common bonds, ones that are cemented forever and Brian certainly was among those who made a difference and again will never be forgotten. RIP Brian Bluhm.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05