This would NEVER happen but if the Hawks traded....

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Second, I'd arrange to get Diaw as a separate transaction using the Voskulh trade exemption so the JJ exemption could be close to $6 million.

I like that idea a lot actually. I would still rather have the 1st rounder than 3 second rounders. Since they would be spread out over 3 years, they won't have high trade value. The first rounder will have some really good value.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
That not enough. Josh Smith is overrated by this board--but that's no surprise.

Josh Smith is not just overrated by this board. He's overrated in general. He reminds me of Darius Miles.

Joe Mama

Mad Psyentist

Reaction score
I think the only "must" i want in a trade in atlanta is an unprotected 2007 first round pick. I dont really care about any of the other crap theyd throw in though it would be gravy. For me, just the chance to possibly land someone like Greg Oden in 2007 and pair him up with Amare would just be sick.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If I was the Hawks I would trade an unprotected #1 and Diaw for JJ in second.

When was the last time the Hawks drafted a player even remotely as good as JJ?

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Josh Smith is not just overrated by this board. He's overrated in general. He reminds me of Darius Miles.

Joe Mama

I guess I dont see too many people overrating him. He had really decent stats for a rookie out of high school. He averaged 10 pts, 7 boards, and 2 blocks. Plus he was born in 1985. That aint too bad... The Dmiles comparison may not be off in the long run but it is a little unfair to say that now. The fact that Dmiles didnt improve had a lot to do with his personality and not just basketball skills.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cepstrum said:
I guess I dont see too many people overrating him. He had really decent stats for a rookie out of high school. He averaged 10 pts, 7 boards, and 2 blocks. Plus he was born in 1985. That aint too bad... The Dmiles comparison may not be off in the long run but it is a little unfair to say that now. The fact that Dmiles didnt improve had a lot to do with his personality and not just basketball skills.

The fact that many people would take Smith and the Laker pick for JJ over the original deal speaks volumes about how Smith is valued on this board.

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
wilecoyotesupergenius said:
Discussiona about Pachulia are moot, since League trade rules prohibit it...and since Pachulia already signed the offer sheet, a three way sign and trade can no longer be initiated.

The current deal on the table is Diaw (a former 1st round pick), Atlanta's 1st (protected) + the Lakers 1st (protected)...for a total of 3 firsts (the trade exception is a result of the salary exchanges and is not an inclusion in the trade)....1/2 JJ's $12mil salary for BYC = $6mil...minus Diaw's $1.1mil salary = $4.9mil trade exception.

The judges ruling made it appear that 3 firsts was too much to give up...

...would either side consider: Diaw + Atlanta #1 (unprotected) for JJ?

The Suns would get a single unprotected 1st next year (probable high lottery pick)...plus Diaw...and could then use their own pick and the trade exception to pursue another veteran. Many would consider the unprotected more valuable than the two protected. JJ for Diaw and a lottery pick in 2006.

Atlanta loses the protection...but gets to keep one of their firsts, conserving future assets. And face it...Atlanta needs to win now...they used the second pick in the draft on Williams...and though he may develop into a fine player, his Summer play suggests he is years away. JJ would produce for them now, and would help the development of their other young players. Which helps the Hawks more...another lottery pick next year and Diaw....or JJ?

...And it would end the Soap Opera and allow both teams to get on with their business....

...(Just a thought)...

Your approach is a positive and rational one but I'm sorry, the deal was put on the table and the Hawks agreed to it. We should under no circumstances go backwards and accept less. Give me one rational reason why we should? To help Atlanta take a player we want to keep? Tell the Hawks to pony up or take a leap because we are matching the deal if they sign him with no trade. JJ doesn't control his destiny and like he said, this is business and not personal. Sarver should play hardball with JJ and the Hawks and retain what is best for this franchise.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Josh Smith has the potential to improve just like all rookies... but apart from being a highlight dunker, he doesnt bring much to the table that will help the Suns at all..... and what ever he brings, Marion brings in twice the production.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
You don't think people overrate players on this board?? Way to stay on topic. Geez, get a backbone.

Maybe we do overrate players. Who cares? No need to take a jab at us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05