Thoughts about Joe Thomas

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're putting too much weight into the Senior Bowl week. Throughout 4 years of college, playing in the same conference, Thomas has shown that he is clearly the better player. I know guys games transition to the pros differently but i like the fact that Thomas has proven that he is better OT than Brown.
That Oden Avatar is nICE!

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Macus McNeill was drafted at #50, about the middle of the second round, and turned out to be a great starting tackle for the San Diego Chargers.

Marcus McNeill had top half of the first round talent, but has a medical condition -- stenosis -- a narrowing of the vertebrae around the spinal cord -- that caused a number of teams to take him off their draft board.

That is the reason he dropped

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good point perivolaki. The best thing to do is look through your own eyes and trust what they see.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think you're putting too much weight into the Senior Bowl week. Throughout 4 years of college, playing in the same conference, Thomas has shown that he is clearly the better player. I know guys games transition to the pros differently but i like the fact that Thomas has proven that he is better OT than Brown.
This a huge point. Huge. For four years Thomas was thought of more highly than Brown. At the end of the season Thomas was thought of more highly than Brown. Now with a couple of weeks left before the draft folks are trying to justify ranking Brown higher than Thomas. That's how you end up with a mediocre draft pick and someone after you ends up with an All-Pro.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This a huge point. Huge. For four years Thomas was thought of more highly than Brown. At the end of the season Thomas was thought of more highly than Brown. Now with a couple of weeks left before the draft folks are trying to justify ranking Brown higher than Thomas. That's how you end up with a mediocre draft pick and someone after you ends up with an All-Pro.

It's exactly what happened with Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf. It's people throwing rocks at the guy at the top. Happens in every avenue of American life.
Leaf got higher ratings than he should have because people where trying to knock Manning by promoting Leaf.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Here is part of Peter Kings latest column(its all about Joe Thomas)....

"I asked Bob Palcic, the Wisconsin offensive line coach who coached offensive line in the NFL for 12 years, how Thomas would play at the next level. "Joe is what an NFL tackle should be,'' he said. "Great technique, footwork, wide base, good knee-bend, never out of position, never off-balance. Underneath the nice guy is a mean streak, which not a lot of people know about. But it's there. There is no risk with Joe Thomas. None. I can guarantee it. With some guys, and I've seen it, you worry about what money is going to do to 'em, but Joe's so well-grounded. You're not going to see him riding uptown in some Ferrari.''

If this guy is sitting at #5 and we pass..well not sure what I'll do since I won't be watching the Draft live but needless to say I'll be sick.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I don't know about that, I was listening to the NFL network and they were discussing Gaines Adams and the fact that defensive ends are over valued. They said that when Clemson played Boston College James Marten pretty much handled Adams who is projected as the best pass rusher in the draft.

Macus McNeill was drafted at #50, about the middle of the second round, and turned out to be a great starting tackle for the San Diego Chargers. James Marten is projected to go in the second or third round and has proven that he can shut down a great pass rusher like Adams.

I could easily see a guy like Marten being a solid starting offensive tackle from day one in the NFL. He is projected to go about the same place as Marcus McNeill

Great post, perivolaki. I saw that game from start to finish and Marten did a great job on Adams. Adams is a talented player, but in that game and others I saw, he seems to get into a mental funk. His teammates go nowhere near him and he stays to himself on the sidelines, whereas other players in the unit sit together. This struck me as odd. Maybe it's nothing to be worried about...but I was noticing that way before I even thought of the prospect of him being drafted by the Cardinals. It's something you don't really forget.

James Marten is another in a long line of well coached BC o-linemen. The thing is too, these BC linemen tend to play right away in the NFL...C Dan Koppen, for example, was a 5th rounder for the Pats and was starting his rookie year. His predecessor, Damien Woody started right away and is now playing guard for the Lions. G Chris Snee was taken in the second round by the Giants a few years back and has started every game since he arrived and has played very well. Jeremy Trueblood---2nd round to the Bucs--played well as a rookie for them after Kenyatta Walker went down early with a knee injury.

Add to this list: Marc Colombo (Cowboys), Tom Nalen (Broncos) and Doug Bredzinski (Browns) and of course Pete Kendall (Jets).

In addition...don't forget G Josh Beekman...who might be available at #38...Beekman was an All-American First Team this past year and First Team All-ACC. He is as solid as they come. Nothing flashy...just pure technique and production.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thomas is going to make somebody very happy. I am on the Adam Carriker band wagon, but i wouldn't be disappointed if the cardinals took Thomas.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
This year...if the Cardinals take Thomas...and he's nowhere to be seen or heard, it will feel very anti-climatic...especially when we will be watching guys like Adrian Peterson and Levi Brown hoisting other teams' jerseys, beaming from ear to ear, with tears of joy in their eyes.

Yeah, a week or a month later it won't matter, I suppose. But still...

I can see where it would be very anti climatic for some. That said it is also a fine point that was amplified when we drafted another Badger in Wendell Davis and he was thought to be something other than what he turned out to be. He took the money and went to the beat of a different drummer once he had it. Couldn't get that guy to risk any kind of injury for the good of the team. He had no heart. I would hope Thomas is not that kind of guy. He has displayed great skill in college. Does it translate to the next level as most all say it should? We will see. Can't afford a miss at number 5. Guys like Gallery Mandarich, Leaf come to mind. They set there teams back a couple of years. But since this team seems intent on rebuilding anyway by shuffleing there lineman every which way and threatening a move to a new defensive scheme....they might as well roll the dice and see if Joe Thomas is the next Anchor tackle or just the next Contestant on the Price is Right.:thumbup:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I can see where it would be very anti climatic for some. That said it is also a fine point that was amplified when we drafted another Badger in Wendell Davis and he was thought to be something other than what he turned out to be.

Wendell Bryant

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
If this guy is sitting at #5 and we pass..well not sure what I'll do since I won't be watching the Draft live but needless to say I'll be sick.

I just don't see it that way. I'm not saying Thomas wouldn't be a great pick and a good fit for us, I just think there will be a lot of good players available throughout the draft.

Some people seem to think it is an all or nothing deal. I don't think that way. There could be several good picks at #5 and several players that wouldn't work out.

My point earlier was that I won't panic if the Cards don't take Thomas because another player could be as good or better in later rounds.

That being said I would be very happy if the Cards took Thomas with their choice at #5.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

"I asked Bob Palcic, the Wisconsin offensive line coach who coached offensive line in the NFL for 12 years, how Thomas would play at the next level. "Joe is what an NFL tackle should be,'' he said. "Great technique, footwork, wide base, good knee-bend, never out of position, never off-balance. Underneath the nice guy is a mean streak, which not a lot of people know about. But it's there. There is no risk with Joe Thomas. None. I can guarantee it. With some guys, and I've seen it, you worry about what money is going to do to 'em, but Joe's so well-grounded. You're not going to see him riding uptown in some Ferrari.''

Cynically I say, why worry, we have Oliver Ross and Mike Gandy. One is an injury-prone revolving door and the other is a mediocre guard. If Joe Thomas is there at #5 and the Cardinals pass, they'll be more ridiculed than Matt Millen.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

I know Bob Palcic from his earier days in Worthington, Ohio, a Columbus suburb.His son played or one of my best friends in high school. Bob is a great guy. He's no nonsense.If THomas had some problems, he wouldn't be endorsing him like that. I haven't been in contact for awhile, maybe i'll try and give him a call one of these days.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05