Thoughts on Night 1

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch, I have to believe that Whiz and company have a good game plan regarding the Card team chemistry and its needs, but most importantly, are sticking to their wish list of picks. The problem we fans have is that they can't pick everyone's favorite player for a certain position...are you still bummed out that Brian St. Clair wasn't resigned? :)

Man, you sure rained on my parade, I thought we made a great selection picking Williams.
I think Mitch is over BSP by now. He is still mad about not getting Tyler Thigpen. :) :numberone:

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
To be clear...or more clear...it's not the pick itself (Dan Williams) that is a step backward. We need a good NT (as it's likely Watson and Branch will be playing elsewhere next year and Bryan Robinson may be retired at that point) and, despite not playing NT in college, scouts feel that he was the best NT pospect in the draft. I'm on board with all of that and hope he can start from day one.

What I was terming a step backward was giving up so much to get Branch and not reaping the reward of it, so much so that instead of drafting one of the elite pass rushers in this draft we have to take a NT instead.

We took a major step forward, pass rush wise, by signing Joey Porter. But, you need several good edge rushers, and if Cody Brown hadn't gotten hurt last year and showed strong ability then I would be all the more happy with taking a NT. Will Davis showed some flashes. I'm hopeful in him as well. Washington and Baggs---like Brown, we haven't seen enough of them to know.

So...here's what I hope...I hope Williams will start from day one and be solid from the get-go. And I hope that Brown, Davis, Washington and Baggs are good and productive. And who knows maybe we get a guy like Arthur Moats and he's a steal. That would be great.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
So...here's what I hope...I hope Williams will start from day one and be solid from the get-go. And I hope that Brown, Davis, Washington and Baggs are good and productive.

I bet Wiz & all of us on this board are hoping for the same thing. I've been preaching edge rushers for 3 years now. Hopefully we can add one sometime today.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, I have to believe that Whiz and company have a good game plan regarding the Card team chemistry and its needs, but most importantly, are sticking to their wish list of picks. The problem we fans have is that they can't pick everyone's favorite player for a certain position...are you still bummed out that Brian St. Clair wasn't resigned? :)

Man, you sure rained on my parade, I thought we made a great selection picking Williams.

Ron, don't worry. Williams is the highest rated NT propspect in this draft and we got him. I am happy with that. We needed a NT. If he's the beast we need in the middle we just got a whole lot better.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I think Mitch is over BSP by now. He is still mad about not getting Tyler Thigpen. :) :numberone:

I'm not over BSP, Mulli. He did not play nearly the way I thought he would, and he lost his chance.

As for Thigpen, I say we trade the #89 pick for him.

Relax, only kidding.

Maybe the #233 for him if we don't draft a QB.

I think Thigpen has game and possible a bright future.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I bet Wiz & all of us on this board are hoping for the same thing. I've been preaching edge rushers for 3 years now. Hopefully we can add one sometime today.

I'm with you, Bucky.

The two left who may still be exceptional, IMO:

Greg Hardy, Mississippi---injury issues and may be a bit of a head case---but turned in the single most impressive DE game in college that I've ever seen. It was versus Alabama two years ago.

Ricky Sapp, Clemson---injuroes have slowed him too---but he's got some major quicks.

But I think they both will be gone by #58.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I'm not over BSP, Mulli. He did not play nearly the way I thought he would, and he lost his chance.

At least BSP can now tell his grandchildren "I once threw a TD pass in the NFL" :D

So many guys in this league are talented but never get an opportunity Mitch. It's all about "chances" & being able to capitalize on maybe 1 chance. Imagine if Trent Green never got hurt against the Bolts, we probably never ever think twice about the name Kurt Warner. Kurt seized his one opportunity!!!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

As for Thigpen, I say we trade the #89 pick for him.

Relax, only kidding.

Maybe the #233 for him if we don't draft a QB.

I think Thigpen has game and possible a bright future.
I think that is the first time you ever responded to one of my digs, I mean, posts.

:)

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be honest, Cardiac, it's not only Leinart's lack of leadership it's more his lack of toughness. It's Tebow's toughness that I think is extraordinary and what makes me think he could be special. In Clausen, I see a tough kid...he played hurt last year the way Warner did in 2007...and yet he played extremely well to the tune of 29 TDs and 4 ints. I think Clausen's throwing delivery is the most Warner-esque of all the QBs in this class. He's a kid who needed to be knocked off his rocking horse and be humbled a little to get the message. But I think he gets it.

Mitch, So maybe Matt has been knocked off his own rocking horse when he was standing on the sideline holding the clipboard while Kurt was out there winning games?

I look at Matt from a different perspective from most people on the board. We're both from Orange County and I can fully appreciate the King of The World atmosphere he played in from Mater Dei (his high school) through USC. He was the "can do no wrong" guy. Mater Dei lives and breathes football. He was The Man and it's a real heady atmosphere for a high school student. We all know about USC.

He came here on those fumes and toured on the Hot Tub Circuit which drove me nuts.

Again. I think he got humbled by what happened to him when he had his starting position taken away from him. I do think he's smart enough, however, to learn from that. And this summer, if he's at Larry's camp as has been said, he's going to be with the Old Big Boys who will be instructors like none he's ever had. And I'm counting big time on the esprit de corps that could develop.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
To be clear...or more clear...it's not the pick itself (Dan Williams) that is a step backward. We need a good NT (as it's likely Watson and Branch will be playing elsewhere next year and Bryan Robinson may be retired at that point) and, despite not playing NT in college, scouts feel that he was the best NT pospect in the draft. I'm on board with all of that and hope he can start from day one.

What I was terming a step backward was giving up so much to get Branch and not reaping the reward of it, so much so that instead of drafting one of the elite pass rushers in this draft we have to take a NT instead.

We took a major step forward, pass rush wise, by signing Joey Porter. But, you need several good edge rushers, and if Cody Brown hadn't gotten hurt last year and showed strong ability then I would be all the more happy with taking a NT. Will Davis showed some flashes. I'm hopeful in him as well. Washington and Baggs---like Brown, we haven't seen enough of them to know.

So...here's what I hope...I hope Williams will start from day one and be solid from the get-go. And I hope that Brown, Davis, Washington and Baggs are good and productive. And who knows maybe we get a guy like Arthur Moats and he's a steal. That would be great.

Didn't we give up like a 4th round pick to get Alan Branch? What's the big deal? I'm not going to cry because we missed out on Zach DeOssie.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Is there any chance they're thinking of running a 4-2-5 with Wilson as one of the backers on passing downs?

And could that alignment include a combo of Dockett/Williams/Branch in the middle? Especially if we're still targeting another DE in the draft, possibly in round 4.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Is there any chance they're thinking of running a 4-2-5 with Wilson as one of the backers on passing downs?

And could that alignment include a combo of Dockett/Williams/Branch in the middle? Especially if we're still targeting another DE in the draft, possibly in round 4.

We run a 3-4 so no

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Possibly. I think we might see more of a 3-2-6 on passing downs.

DL - Branch - Dockett - Campbell

LB - Porter/Davis - Haggans/Brown

DBs - DRC, McFadden, Toler, Wilson, Ware, Rhodes.

Wilson would be playing as a Spartan back (from a system that I saw a high school coach run back in the day). He'll have limited coverage responsibilities, but will be spying the quarterback or maybe come on blitzes. He'd be the acting WILB.

Because Paris Lenon sucks.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Wilson would be playing as a Spartan back (from a system that I saw a high school coach run back in the day). He'll have limited coverage responsibilities, but will be spying the quarterback or maybe come on blitzes. He'd be the acting WILB.

I like this formation, especially if we don't get the WILB need in the draft.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

It'll be interesting if Branch can make more strides on rushing downs. He could have his niche.

The thing that worries me, is with the good teams, they will implement plenty of hurry ups, so we can't put our pass alignments out on the field at crucial times.

That is why we need a starting ILB if we predominantly run the 3-4 who can cover. I don't know who that'll be or if it was one of Lenon's strong suites.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Lenon isn't going to make plays in coverage, but he's not going to get you killed the way that Gerald Hayes will.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Bingo

Mitch forgets to mention that Claussen has tiny hands and is a fumble waiting to happen. Questioning Leinart because he didn't play with a seperated shoulder is laughable.

Isn't that Claussen who does that burger king commercial. He can't hold the burger because of his tiny hands. LOL!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards aren't going to carry 3 nose tackles into the season. They have a full complement of DL now in Dockett, Campbell, Branch, Watson, Iwebema and Williams. You'll likely see Jason Banks take over the Bryan Robinson roster spot this season.

Bill Davis isn't afraid of playing rookie. He's afraid of starting rookies.

totally agree. We are set now on the DL.

As for Williams playing time... I fully expect for Watson to be the starter with Williams rotating in to keep both guys fresh. As the season progresses It wouldn't shock me if they split playing time.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Williams will be a stud, Cards didnt bring him in because they figured he be locked up no later than pick #12.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
From Urban:

Most mock drafts had Williams going somewhere between picks 10 and 18. Reports were that Miami, which had traded down from No. 12 to No. 28, were going to take Williams had he remained on the board

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, So maybe Matt has been knocked off his own rocking horse when he was standing on the sideline holding the clipboard while Kurt was out there winning games?

I look at Matt from a different perspective from most people on the board. We're both from Orange County and I can fully appreciate the King of The World atmosphere he played in from Mater Dei (his high school) through USC. He was the "can do no wrong" guy. Mater Dei lives and breathes football. He was The Man and it's a real heady atmosphere for a high school student. We all know about USC.

He came here on those fumes and toured on the Hot Tub Circuit which drove me nuts.

Again. I think he got humbled by what happened to him when he had his starting position taken away from him. I do think he's smart enough, however, to learn from that. And this summer, if he's at Larry's camp as has been said, he's going to be with the Old Big Boys who will be instructors like none he's ever had. And I'm counting big time on the esprit de corps that could develop.

Great post, Dems, thanks. Very good and honest perspectives.