Thrid Pick Anquan Boldin WR Fl. State

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Anqyan Boldin WR Fl. State

Nice pick. Looks like a tough strong physical WR from the commentary and clips on ESPN. Of all 3 guys, this guy looks the best IMO. Tremendous agility, strength, and all over looks like a badass. Maybe not the best idea to get 2 "posession" type guys in the draft, but with speedy WRs like McAddley and Gilmore, this might be shaping up to be a decent draft, even with the 1st round trade blunder.

Thoughts?

jmr667

Random Poster
Reaction score
I like the idea of the Cards getting someone wth a little bit of attitude on the field.
Still thinking the DLine could use a little more help.
Also thinking the Cards must have been very unimpressed with Marcus Robinson to got and get 2 WR's like this.

dbcard74

Reaction score
You could be right. At least it was good to see the Cards make a move that didn't either leave the 'experts' scratching their head or laughing.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Boldin okay, but I think the value pick would have been Mike Doss. 5 years from now we'll be saying "we passed on Doss????"

Now we have too many WR IMO--especially if we sign Robinson or another vet before camp.

To get back to Boldin, again, I like him...I think he'll be and Johnson will end up being better than what we have.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'm sorry but a 6' 0" WR that runs a 4.7 40 doesn't excite me.

Bryant Johnson looks to be the best pick so far and even he was a bit of a reach....Johnson at least runs in the high 4.3 - low 4.4 range and is 2 inches taller.

At least they didn't pick Simms.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Here is another write-up on him:

2-3-03 Hasn't been receiving a lot of hype nationally, but is one of the elite receiving talents in this draft. A physical specimen that has been able to get by on his physical ability thus far, and can potentially develop into an amazing player with continued development of the finer intricacies of the position. Excellent combination of size, speed, and raw physical strength. Reminds me in many ways of both Eric Moulds and Chris Chambers when they left school. Like these two players, Boldin isn't as developed a route-runner and pure pass catcher as some of the other receivers of his draft. His physical potential, however, seems limitless. He is incredibly strong and athletic. He uses this to fight off coverage and just doesn't lose battles when the ball is in the air. His physicality also comes into play as a blocker, as Boldin is one of the better downfield blockers in the draft. He has big play ability not only because of his 4.45 speed, but also because his acceleration and burst are among the best of any player (at any position) in this draft. All of this said, there are some legitimate concerns. As mentioned previously he isn't as developed a route-runner as some of the others on this list. Boldin has seen considerable time over his career at quarterback, and though this has certainly helped in his understanding of how the offense works, etc. it has limited his time running routes. Also, Boldin will drop the occasional easy pass, though it usually doesn't take long for him to 'make up" his mistake with a spectacular play. Finally, Boldin missed the entire 2001 season with a torn ACL. He furiously rehabbed the injury and posted career highs in receptions (65), yardage (1,011) and touchdowns (ACC leading 13 TD receptions) this last year (which says something about his recovery speed), but the injury is a red flag, nonetheless. This is a talent that because of his build and pure athleticism, could make an immediate impact. It is also a player that, if he can fine tune his route-running and hands, could develop into one of the league's most feared receivers. General Grade: 1.70, Position Grade: .86

OP
OP
vince56

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know I've only seen those little highlights on him on ESPN and heard Golic talk about him, but Boldin looks tenacious and I'm excited about having him on our team.

jmr667

Random Poster
Reaction score
"This is a talent that because of his build and pure athleticism, could make an immediate impact. It is also a player that, if he can fine tune his route-running and hands, could develop into one of the league's most feared receivers."

Here's hoping Sullivan's protege has learned his ability to teach the route running then.

dmoney

Registered
Reaction score
This is a excellent pick. Now if we are lucky Peterson, or another DL will fall to us. If not maybe look @ Weathersby.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
War Room analysis
Hands: Makes acrobatic catches at times. Can catch on the run without losing much momentum. Pulls down balls away from his frame, over his shoulder and over his head. Loses concentration at times. Drops catchable passes when trying to get upfield too quickly. Grade: 8.1

Patterns: Has good initial burst. Drives defenders off the line. Has great speed, but isn't much of a deep threat. Is much better on short-to-intermediate routes. Shows a good feel for coverage and has become a solid, consistent route-runner underneath. Has great body control and gets separation out of breaks. Shows outstanding lateral movement and change-of-direction skills. Has a second gear. Tracks balls in the air. Grade: 8.0

Run after catch: Has burst and explosiveness. Is elusive with good lateral movement. Excels at stopping and starting. Has above-average vision and patience. Runs with good power and strength. Grade: 8.5

Release: Is raw in this area. Spends much time in the slot to avoid press coverage. Needs to develop more moves, but is quick, strong and physical enough to improve. Grade: 7.6

Blocking: Works to get downfield. Is feisty and competitive. Lacks great technique and must improve leverage and take better angles. Grade: 7.8

Bottom line: Boldin, a converted quarterback, is raw and has durability questions, but he is too good of a natural athlete to let slip past the second round. He has good size, is well built, and looks to be regaining his 4.4 speed -- that's the biggest reason why a team may take a chance on him late in the first round.

Dan Pompei analysis
Is a solid junior. Has good size and strength. Has not run well in workouts, but runs good routes and has competitive speed. Shows strong hands. Breaks tackles. Is a man about his blocking assignments.

marshallrider

Rookie
Reaction score
NFL.com

COMBINE AGILITY TESTS
ARM----30
HAND---9 7/8
TEST-- 31
40----- 4.71
20 ---- 2.77
10 ----1.61
VJ ---- 33 1/2
BJ ---- 9-6
SHUTTLE--- 4.33
CONE ---- 7.35

Runs a 4.71 40 yard dash.........:(

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by marshallrider
NFL.com

COMBINE AGILITY TESTS
ARM----30
HAND---9 7/8
TEST-- 31
40----- 4.71
20 ---- 2.77
10 ----1.61
VJ ---- 33 1/2
BJ ---- 9-6
SHUTTLE--- 4.33
CONE ---- 7.35

Runs a 4.71 40 yard dash.........:(

He ran better at his pro day.

I actually like the pick. If you've ever watched him play, he is a damn good player.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Is Anquan not the "blackest" name you have ever heard?

Watch, he is probably a white guy :rolleyes:

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Finally, Boldin missed the entire 2001 season with a torn ACL. He furiously rehabbed the injury and posted career highs in receptions (65), yardage (1,011) and touchdowns (ACC leading 13 TD receptions) this last year (which says something about his recovery speed), but the injury is a red flag, nonetheless.

Those stars are nigh-identical to those put up by Charles Rogers.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I had this guy on my "miracle" post earlier. He is a great choice and I make him better long term than Johnson.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
Is Anquan not the "blackest" name you have ever heard?

Watch, he is probably a white guy :rolleyes:

Wow...I guess you haven't watched FSU lately.

He is a pretty good player. Like I said during the past month, forget about the workouts, this guy is a player.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Re: Anqyan Boldin WR Fl. State

Originally posted by vince56
Nice pick. Looks like a tough strong physical WR from the commentary and clips on ESPN. Of all 3 guys, this guy looks the best IMO. Tremendous agility, strength, and all over looks like a badass. Maybe not the best idea to get 2 "posession" type guys in the draft, but with speedy WRs like McAddley and Gilmore, this might be shaping up to be a decent draft, even with the 1st round trade blunder.

Thoughts?

I like this guy better than our other receiver. Decent value for the slot.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zeno
I'm sorry but a 6' 0" WR that runs a 4.7 40 doesn't excite me.

Bryant Johnson looks to be the best pick so far and even he was a bit of a reach....Johnson at least runs in the high 4.3 - low 4.4 range and is 2 inches taller.

At least they didn't pick Simms.

Anquan was actually running 4.4's before a knee injury 2 years ago.

He's steadily improved his times to where many fell he'll get back to those 4.4 times this year.

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
Originally posted by MadCardDisease
He has good size, is well built, and looks to be regaining his 4.4 speed -- that's the biggest reason why a team may take a chance on him late in the first round.

I like this a lot better than the reports on the first 2 guys. :rolleyes: Sounds like, in terms of value, this is actually a good pick.

This has still been a very bad day.

Go Cards.

mdsisquo

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The very first thing I did was sign on into the chat room and scream out (or at least type in caps) how excited I was with this pick. I have watched him play and he is a gamer! Besides, you gotta LOVE how he went at it with that CB and wrestled him then knocked off his helmet! He has fire!!! He's big, he's strong, he can catch and he is much faster than what everyone is telling you, trust me I have watched him play! By the way, did you see how extremley agile he is? He's running left at full speed and then BOOM he's running right at full speed, like he never stoped to change directions. I agree with Harry, I think he will be a better pro than Bryant Johnson. But I hope they are both great players. But I am really high on this kid, you all should be too!