Throwing Deep

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
One of the knocks I’ve heard about Kyler Murray is he doesn’t have a deep passing game. It’s true last season he only connected on one pass over 40 yards. In 2022 he had no completions exceeding 40 yards. So, is this indeed a major issue of concern?

Here are some of the factors that combine to provide an effective deep passing game. First, a team needs an offensive line, capable of giving the QB enough protection to allow the receivers to get deep. Second, if protection is a concern, will the formation keep a back in to pick up a free pass rusher? Third, does the QB have the arm strength to throw deep? Fourth, does the team have a receiver capable of getting open deep? Finally, will the play caller, call for deep passes?

As to the offensive line, it’s clearly a work in progress. Three of the five spots will feature new starters there. I anticipate this line will prove to be adequate as the season unfolds, but it will likely take a few games for enough coordination to develop to allow the time to consistently go deep. This leads to the question of play design. If the Cards want to go deep they may need to keep a back in. The key to that is Connor or Benson needs to step up to provide this protection. Otherwise if the Cards have to use Demercado, as last season to get adequate protection, they will alert the defense of the likely intention to go deep.

Perhaps the most important key is Harrison. Other receivers may help some, but for deep throws to work, Harrison needs to live up to his billing. Despite being a rookie, Harrison must resemble his college performance and beat defenses deep. If he can do that deep throws will be a part of this arsenal. As to Murray’s arm strength, one only needs to look back to 2019 where Murray tied for 7th among QBs for the most 40+ completed passes. I believe Murray has the arm strength to throw deep. He did in college. He did when he came into the league. He is still that player and now that he’s finally getting some support I believe that also answers the question of if those plays will be called. They will be and likely more frequently as the season goes along. So be patient; the best is yet to come.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah, kylers only real issue with the deep ball has been in not having a wr that can track and get after the ball for the most part....he ain't pinpoint, but you don't have to be with a lengthy wr...he had to be with brown and Moore

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler's deep ball was great when he first entered the league, it's been poor the last 2 years. I'm counting anything over 20 yards as a deep ball because that's generally how the stats record it.

Hard to blame anything buy Kyler here because there's a whole bunch of evidence of passes where the accuracy was just poor. We can blame receivers and O line but we have all seen the many times he's just been way off target.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
a mystery that still hasnt really been answered:

2019-2021 -- Kyler was one of the best in the league at the deep ball

2022 -- one of the worst. The misses were inexplicable -- 3 yards out of bounds bad

2023 he didnt throw a bunch of them

i would love to get Petzings or Israel Woolforks take on the above

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

2022 -- one of the worst. The misses were inexplicable -- 3 yards out of bounds bad

For Murray acolytes, one of the most troubling, faith-shaking aspects of his 2022 performance!

In 2022 he was cover-your-eyes bad on deep throws; way too bad to plausibly it lay at the feet of the receiving corps.

And going from first to worst like that defies logic! Like he would have to try to be that bad to be that bad.

Expecting a K1 renaissance this year in this category however. It's going to be awesome!

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

yeah that loss in accuracy seemed to coincide with Kyler bulking up quite a bit...added muscle mass seemed to throw off his accuracy...but he trimmed back down when he was rehabbing the knee so it should no longer be an issue

football karma

Reaction score
yeah that loss in accuracy seemed to coincide with Kyler bulking up quite a bit...added muscle mass seemed to throw off his accuracy...but he trimmed back down when he was rehabbing the knee so it should no longer be an issue
thats one theory that feels plausible --

another is that his life long mechanics got out of whack -- and by that point, he wasnt coachable or wasnt being coached

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
i do think having bigger targets will help -- with Rondale and Hollywood as the targets, the throw had to be a dime
I know I'll probably regret feeling this way, but I can't shake the feeling that we will all be laughing at Hollywood dropping or feebly attempting to catch long passes from Mahomes.

Murray wasn't great throwing deep to him, but Hollywood is amongst the worst deep threats I've ever seen.

football karma

Reaction score
I know I'll probably regret feeling this way, but I can't shake the feeling that we will all be laughing at Hollywood dropping or feebly attempting to catch long passes from Mahomes.

Murray wasn't great throwing deep to him, but Hollywood is amongst the worst deep threats I've ever seen.
i actually think Hollywood is going to be at least good for the Chiefs

far more stable situation than his last two years here, and in an offense everybody knows.