Time to gut the team?

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm one of those fans that wants the Suns to be really good or really bad. The Suns right now are just one of many good teams out west and getting old quick. Do we want to do another year or just call it on this "Suns experiment". I say call it unless the Suns have another impact player on the horizon.

I'm just wondeing what our assets are even worth. A contender may want Nash or Shaq (or Hill). Diaw has little or negative value. Barbosa may have some value as he has a decent contract. Bell..who knows...not much value. Amare is our only blue-chip at this point but I'd consider trading him if he doesnt want to play for a rebuilding Suns team.

A lousy thing is we traded some future draft picks away...I dont know the status on what we own. Not much point going into some kind of tank mode if its for some other teams benefit.

It may be salvage time ppl.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Not yet. They have to find a decent backup for Nash and play old guys (Nash, Hill, and Shaq) no more than 30 minutes or so.

They also need somebody who can shoot and defend. In order to get these things, they will have to spend some money. If they are willing to spend some cash, this team can win it all next year.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
I don't think this team is in need of "gutting". We still have young pieces to build around.

Amare - 25
Barbosa - 25
Diaw - 26
Strawberry - 22
Tucker - 24

I want to see Strawberry and Tucker getting minutes next season. I would really like to see the Suns take a similar approach to the Cardinals. The whole Lienart/Warner worked effectively for a while. So is what I'm saying is have a full court team and then a half court.

Some idea's:

Half:
C- Shaq
PF- Amare
SF- Hill
SG- Bell
PG- Nash

Full:
PG- Barbosa
SG- Strawberry
SF- Tucker
PF- Diaw
C- Amare

Now this is assuming we make no moves this summer, which I really don't see any happening besides our draft pick from ATL. Now with this we have 2 completely different tempos. D'Antoni needs to treat it almost like 2 different teams. And when one team is working effectively, D'Antoni needs to leave them out and not mess with them.

Obviously our Run'N'Gun style was effective, to an extent. But when it came down to it, how many championships did we win? When it comes down to it, we had to make a move involving Marion. I just wish we would have somehow gotten Miami's pick this year (swapping 1sts and future 1sts...) But I do believe the Shaq trade could help.

So my whole point, don't mix our styles. But have two. This team just can't simply run with Shaq. So when he is in, bring in guys who can play around him. When he's out, push the tempo like hell.

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
I don't think this team is in need of "gutting". We still have young pieces to build around.

Amare - 25
Barbosa - 25
Diaw - 26
Strawberry - 22
Tucker - 24

My thoughts exactly. Obviously, we'll see how we go next season in terms of contending. As soon as we realise that we're going nowhere, I'd like to see a lot of playing time for these guys and our rookie.

Develope a good chemistry, use the Nash and Shaq money in 2010 wisely and we're right there.

This is assuming that Steve's and O'Neal's contracts will expire in 2010 (not sure).

It would be nice, if anybody would have the contract situation for our guys and the free agent list for 2010 and the salary cap situation then.

4 Rings

Reaction score
Stop this nonsense talk about gutting the Suns. That is easier said than done. I would start with firing D'Antoni and bringing in a coach who plays fundamental ball....JVG.

OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Stop this nonsense talk about gutting the Suns. That is easier said than done. I would start with firing D'Antoni and bringing in a coach who plays fundamental ball....JVG.

We might have to give it one more try but after next season its gut check time for real. I just hope our players don't lose much in trade value by the end of next season. I mean Shaq looked pretty mobile at times plus Nash had a decent season...I dont want them looking too old but then again we might have to ride them out for the duration and just get cap space.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
It would be nice, if anybody would have the contract situation for our guys and the free agent list for 2010 and the salary cap situation then.
Suns players whose contracts will expire after the 09-10 season : O'Neal, Nash, Bell.

Suns players under contract at the beginning of the 2010-11 season
: Stoudemire (if he picks up his player option), Diaw, Barbosa and Tucker (if the team picks his option) for a combined 35.7 $M in salaries.

With a salary cap around 65 $M by this time (hypothetically), and assuming we don't sign anyone 'til 2010 excepted our two 1st rounders (2008 and 2009), the Suns'll be 25-30 $M under the cap with seven guys to sign.

"Notable" free agents after the 2009-10 season (assuming these guys don't sign an extension): Joe Johnson, T-Mac, Jermaine O'Neal (if he doesn't opt out), Mike Miller, Darko Milicic, Manu Ginobili, Rafer Alston, the Earl Watson/Luke Ridnour combo, and old guys like Ben Wallace, Ray Allen, Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

Players with an option for the 2009-10 season
(FA in 2010 if they pick their last year of contract in 2009) : Carlos Boozer, Mehmet Okur, Hedo Turkoglu.

Players with an option for the 2010-11 season
(FA in 2010 if they choose not to pick their last year of contract in 2010) : Lebron James, Dirk Nowitzki, Yao Ming, Dwyane Wade, Michael Redd, Paul Pierce, Richard Jefferson, Peja Stojakovic, Tyson Chandler, Chris Bosh, TJ Ford, John Salmons and of course Amare.

Players who may be free agents under particular circumstances : Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Raymond Felton, Andrew Bynum, David Lee, Andrew Bogut, Charlie Villanueva, Danny Granger, Marvin Williams, Jason Maxiell... basically all the 1st rounders of the 2005 draft.

Basically, I don't think we will be able to rebuild much through free agency, and all our draft picks firesales potentially doomed this franchise for the next 5 years (at best).

Last edited: