Tomlin running Steelers' Parker ``until the wheels come off''

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
September 27th, 2007 @ 4:50pm

by Associated Press

PITTSBURGH - Mike Tomlin didn't need long to realize the value of Willie Parker.

Three games and three Pittsburgh Steelers victories into the season, Parker is the NFL's leading rusher and Tomlin is promising to run the two-time 1,000-yard running back ``until the wheels come off.''

They've haven't yet, a main reason why the Steelers came improve to 4-0 for the first time since 1979 if they can beat the Arizona Cardinals and former assistant coaches Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm on Sunday. Parker has 368 yards through three games, and a string of four 100-yard games dating to last season.

``He is a tough runner. He is a competitor. A lot of times you talk about the things you can measure, but really the things that define greatness are the things that you can't measure,'' Tomlin said. ``He is a tremendous competitor.''

The Steelers have been one of the NFL's most run-heavy teams for a half-century, yet they haven't had the NFL's leading rusher since Bill Dudley ran for 604 yards in 1946. Parker leads Oakland's LaMont Jordan by 18 yards.

``I'm getting a lot of publicity about it and a lot of respect about it,'' said Parker, a former college backup who now leads the NFL. ``I stay away from the individual numbers because one week you can be up and one week you can be down.''

Tomlin, Minnesota's defensive coordinator before becoming Steelers coach, arrived with the perception that the fast Parker was more of a turn-the-corner running back than one who can get the tough yards inside. Parker has quickly reshaped that opinion by running for 109 yards against Cleveland, 126 against Buffalo and 133 against San Francisco.

Against the 49ers, Parker had nearly 100 yards more than Frank Gore, the NFL's No. 3 rusher a season ago who was limited to 39 yards.

``Willie's taking what the defense is giving him,'' Tomlin said. ``He has had the ability to bounce to the perimeter and use his speed, which is something that is well documented. I think he is underrated as an inside, tough runner.''

To Whisenhunt, what is overlooked about the 5-foot-10, 220-pound Parker is that he can quickly read a play as it develops and make the proper cut. Such instincts are uncommon for a running back who played as little as Parker did at North Carolina, where he was benched early in his career and didn't gain even 200 yards his senior season.

``I think Jerome (Bettis) helped him with that, especially with his inside runs,'' Whisenhunt said. ``He is very patient and can find the hole and gets the tough yards. What really makes Willie such a threat is his ability to get to top speed in one step and make that break outside. That is something you really have to concern yourself with, because I have seen him do it a number of times.''

Parker is coming off a 1,594-yard season that was the third best by a running back in Steelers history. He had 1,202 yards the season before as he helped the Steelers win the Super Bowl.

Parker's strong running and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's mostly error-free play have contributed to the Steelers' best start since 1992. Roethlisberger has thrown only one interception in three games compared to seven a year ago as the Steelers have won each of their three games by at least a three-touchdown margin.

``Three and 0? It don't even feel like we're 3-0,'' Parker said. ``We don't even pay attention to the record.''

The explanation for that? The Steelers are so intent on getting back to being the contending team they've traditionally been after going 8-8 last year, and making the transition to a new coach, they've been letting the wins pile up without much reflection on how they're doing it.

``We are just playing together and having fun,'' Parker said. ``Last season kind of hurt us, so we're going out and fighting every week.''

Parker, like his teammates, has been looking forward to going against Arizona. Whisenhunt was a Steelers assistant coach for six years and their offensive coordinator for three, and Grimm was former coach Bill Cowher's assistant head coach.

Parker said coaches always spend time pointing out an opposing player's weaknesses, and he is curious what Whisenhunt is telling the Cardinals (1-2) about him.

``He never told me what my weaknesses were,'' Parker said. ``But it makes the game more exciting. We know who's over there, Russ and all them they're going to be out there to win. They're going to be jacked up for this game.''

http://sports.ktar.com/?nid=23&sid=605540

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He won't get 100 on us. He just won't. I'm certain of fit. Wiz will game plan for him. And Big Ben will fall short for the steelers. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

amwreck

Reaction score
So, how exactly do you plan for Willie Parker? Better teams have tried and failed. Even on a marginal Steelers team in '06 he rushed for over 1400 yards and put up two 200+ yard games.

It's interesting that you have so much faith in Whisenhunt even though he lost out on the head coaching position that he wanted to Tomlin. The Rooney's have a pretty good track record with hiring coaches. Noll, Cowher, and now Tomlin. By the way, how many of Cowher's coordinators went on to be good head coaches? ZERO. Many tried and they all failed. Whiz will be no different.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, how exactly do you plan for Willie Parker? Better teams have tried and failed. Even on a marginal Steelers team in '06 he rushed for over 1400 yards and put up two 200+ yard games.

It's interesting that you have so much faith in Whisenhunt even though he lost out on the head coaching position that he wanted to Tomlin. The Rooney's have a pretty good track record with hiring coaches. Noll, Cowher, and now Tomlin. By the way, how many of Cowher's coordinators went on to be good head coaches? ZERO. Many tried and they all failed. Whiz will be no different.

This is the same go who during the SB year was singing Whis's praises. What a turncoat.

amwreck

Reaction score
Why am I a turncoat for not seeing what is supposed to make him a good head coach? He did great as an offensive coordinator, but he's in a different position now. The fact stands that there has not been a single coordinator from Cowher's staff that has ever made a good head coach. He hired guys for their ability to put together a game plan, not for their ability to lead a team. They are entirely different skills.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why am I a turncoat for not seeing what is supposed to make him a good head coach? He did great as an offensive coordinator, but he's in a different position now. The fact stands that there has not been a single coordinator from Cowher's staff that has ever made a good head coach. He hired guys for their ability to put together a game plan, not for their ability to lead a team. They are entirely different skills.

So the fact that he played for Cowher means he doesn't have the ability to be a HC? And have you forgotten that we didn't only just get him, we got Grimm also and what he has done with our horrible O Line has been nothing short of miraculous. These two guys make one heck of a combination and I guarantee you, they will turn this team into a winner.

amwreck

Reaction score
Actually, I do expect that Grimm is turning the o-line around. That's why he was brought in. I have a feeling that next year you guys might be getting Faneca too. I hope not, but it could happen. Grimm is a great line coach, but just didn't make a good head coaching candidate in the end. The Steelers aren't the only ones that turned him down. Whiz could turn out to be a good coach. Who knows? I'm just stating history. Here is a list of coordinators under Cowher that left for head coaching jobs and their career W-L records as head coaches.

Dom Capers 48-80
Chan Gailey 18-14 (not too bad)
Jim Haslett 45-51
Mike Mularkey 14-18
Dick LeBeau 12-33
Ken Whisenhunt 1-2

I do wish the best for Whiz, the guy did good work with the Steelers. I just don't think that Cowher looked for head coaching qualities in his coordinators. If you guys are lucky, maybe he'll do as well as Chan Gailey who actually pulled off a winning record.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I do expect that Grimm is turning the o-line around. That's why he was brought in. I have a feeling that next year you guys might be getting Faneca too. I hope not, but it could happen. Grimm is a great line coach, but just didn't make a good head coaching candidate in the end. The Steelers aren't the only ones that turned him down. Whiz could turn out to be a good coach. Who knows? I'm just stating history. Here is a list of coordinators under Cowher that left for head coaching jobs and their career W-L records as head coaches.

Dom Capers 48-80
Chan Gailey 18-14 (not too bad)
Jim Haslett 45-51
Mike Mularkey 14-18
Dick LeBeau 12-33
Ken Whisenhunt 1-2

I do wish the best for Whiz, the guy did good work with the Steelers. I just don't think that Cowher looked for head coaching qualities in his coordinators. If you guys are lucky, maybe he'll do as well as Chan Gailey who actually pulled off a winning record.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Using past history to predict future performance only works if all the conditions are exactly the same. None of those guys tried to coach the Cards, so we are making it even harder on Whis.;)

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Willie might get 100 on us. Maybe even 200. Who cares? It's the final score that matters.

I fear the Steelers long, slow, time eating drives more than a Parker breakaway 72 yd score. If you slowly wear us down, inching away on the scoreboard, like you did to the niners, we could lose big trying to force big plays late.

Conversely, pray you have the lead in the 4th quarter.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tomlin running Steelers' Parker ``until the wheels come off''

Early Monday morning. Phone call to Willie Parker's home:

"Mr. Parker? This is the groundskeeper from UOP stadium in Glendale, Az. I'm just wondering if you realize that you left your wheels here? We found them laying on your sideline and they look to be in pretty bad shape. I think maybe some vandals got hold of them and really tore them up.

Would you like us to send them to you or just throw them in the dump?"

Reaction score
It's interesting that you have so much faith in Whisenhunt even though he lost out on the head coaching position that he wanted to Tomlin.
The truth is that Whis was wise enough to not wait around for the Rooney's to make a decision. He was offered a great opportunity and he took it. Granted, he may have felt that at the time he wasn't the frontrunner for the Steelers job.

However, that is something that neither of us will ever know.

You want to come here and intellegently talk about football, great. If that's the case, Welcome!

Conversely, if you are here to troll and insult you won't be tolerated.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Early Monday morning. Phone call to Willie Parker's home:

"Mr. Parker? This is the groundskeeper from UOP stadium in Glendale, Az. I'm just wondering if you realize that you left your wheels here? We found them laying on your sideline and they look to be in pretty bad shape. I think maybe some vandals got hold of them and really tore them up.

Would you like us to send them to you or just throw them in the dump?"

They look to be stamped with the number 24 or is that 54 oh well doesn't matter they were trashed.

amwreck

Reaction score
Conversely, if you are here to troll and insult you won't be tolerated.

Where exactly was I being insulting? I'm very sorry if my opinion of Whisenhunt doesn't match yours. If you can't take that, then I guess I will just be banned like every other Steelers fan that has come over here. Honestly, that's pretty weak.

Reaction score
Where exactly was I being insulting? I'm very sorry if my opinion of Whisenhunt doesn't match yours. If you can't take that, then I guess I will just be banned like every other Steelers fan that has come over here. Honestly, that's pretty weak.
I guess it must have been this post of yours from another thread I read just prior to my post in this thread:
amwreck said:
What exactly is Cardinal Nation? Is it a township in Arizona? Or is it just a group of elderly folks that get together on the second Wednesday of every month for a good, friendly game of bingo? Just curious because I've never heard of it before.

Speaking of weak...