Trade Dudley for the 2 Boston picks?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
huh? lots of teams have decided to scrap trying to become a perrenial 8 seed who will get their brains bashed in by the number 1 seed and rebuild through the draft. Hell, Colangelo used to do it all it the time when he realized the Barkley era was over and when he realized the Kidd teams weren't going to do anything.

He's talking about getting rid of the entire team. Please enlighten us and give us any example where that has happened at a professional level.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
He's talking about getting rid of the entire team. Please enlighten us and give us any example where that has happened at a professional level.

Of course nobody gets rid of the entire team. That's just silly. The point is that everyone should be fair game. I think Dudley is far more valuable than two picks in the 20s, but the strategy of trading what you have for picks is a good strategy. Look at the Sonics/ Thunder- Collison might be the only player from 2006 who made it to 2008 or 2009 on that roster, for example.

Nobody is saying that every player has to be traded. People are simply saying that since we will not be relevant for a while, might as well take every opportunity to acquire assets for the real rebuilding effort, which includes listening to offers that involve any player on the roster.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course nobody gets rid of the entire team. That's just silly. The point is that everyone should be fair game. I think Dudley is far more valuable than two picks in the 20s, but the strategy of trading what you have for picks is a good strategy. Look at the Sonics/ Thunder- Collison might be the only player from 2006 who made it to 2008 or 2009 on that roster, for example.

Nobody is saying that every player has to be traded. People are simply saying that since we will not be relevant for a while, might as well take every opportunity to acquire assets for the real rebuilding effort, which includes listening to offers that involve any player on the roster.

agreed. should be pretty obvious what Hoover's saying.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd consider trading Dudley for Boston's two first rounders if there were players at those slots that the Suns really liked.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I wouldn't. Dudley is a good shooter, a very good defender, and a great teammate. He probably has one of the best contracts in the league. I don't see how we'd get anything better than that in the late first round. I view him as the Suns version of Thunder's Nick Collison. He is a solid role player that I would keep. He is not a game-changer, but he is one of the most solid role-players around.

Maybe I place too much value on role-players?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
agreed. should be pretty obvious what Hoover's saying.

I, and most intelligent Suns fans,would be far more likely to watch a totally new young team, with a front office that's acquiring flexibility over a team of mediocre vets trying desperately for the privilige of a #1 seed to beat their brains in.

Seems pretty clear.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wouldn't. Dudley is a good shooter, a very good defender, and a great teammate. He probably has one of the best contracts in the league. I don't see how we'd get anything better than that in the late first round. I view him as the Suns version of Thunder's Nick Collison. He is a solid role player that I would keep. He is not a game-changer, but he is one of the most solid role-players around.

First of all Dudley isn't a very good defender. He's a decent defender.

And two, yea he's a role player and you draft guys like him in the 20s, and some times you get lucky and draft a Ibaka type player. (Yes I dont see Ibaka as a role player, I see him as a game changer defensively)

Dudley himself was drafted in the 20s, and now its time for us to get a younger and maybe better version of Dudley imo. With two picks, maybe we can even get two Dudleys.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
First of all Dudley isn't a very good defender. He's a decent defender.

And two, yea he's a role player and you draft guys like him in the 20s, and some times you get lucky and draft a Ibaka type player. (Yes I dont see Ibaka as a role player, I see him as a game changer defensively)

Dudley himself was drafted in the 20s, and now its time for us to get a younger and maybe better version of Dudley imo. With two picks, maybe we can even get two Dudleys.

Gortat was a late 2nd round pick. Suns should trade him for 2 late 2nd round picks and get 2 Gortat's!

Most guys drafted in the 20s never become as good as Dudley, and it's been about a decade since the Suns drafted anyone as good as Dudley using any pick.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i go back and forth on this. love, love, love Duds, but he's a role player... on a team with no future and i believe that by the time we do have one, he might be past his prime.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems pretty clear.

i guess... but only if you take everything everyone says as completely literal. it doesn't take a mind reader to understand what he was talking about there (me and stefan are proof of that and we ain't no rocket scientists)

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are going to be some very good players drafted at the end of the first round in this draft. The problem will be trying to figure out which ones are the good ones.

If I had confidence in the scouting dept, I would gladly trade Dudley for Bostons two picks.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Seems pretty clear.

Geeze you're being pedantic. You're the only person who gleaned I'm saying we most get 12 all new players. I'm not against Dudley staying, I'm just saying there are 0 players on the Suns roster that they MUST keep. If trading just about anyone gets you flexibility and youth, go for it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Geeze you're being pedantic. You're the only person who gleaned I'm saying we most get 12 all new players. I'm not against Dudley staying, I'm just saying there are 0 players on the Suns roster that they MUST keep. If trading just about anyone gets you flexibility and youth, go for it.

I'm not arguing that having a completely new team is desirable, I have a hard time liking anyone on the team too. It just isn't realistic to have even half the team replaced, let alone the whole team. Whether we want them ALL gone or not, it simply would never happen, that's all.

Sorry for taking things too literally, but guys like cheesebeef do it all the time. So this isn't exactly setting a precedent.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not arguing that having a completely new team is desirable, I have a hard time liking anyone on the team too. It just isn't realistic to have even half the team replaced, let alone the whole team. Whether we want them ALL gone or not, it simply would never happen, that's all.

you're STILL arguing something no one else is talking about.

good lord.

Sorry for taking things too literally, but guys like cheesebeef do it all the time. So this isn't exactly setting a precedent.

lol. you're right... you're complete and utter misunderstanding of basic basketball conversation and inability to just say my bad isn't setting a precedent at all.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Remember how when the Suns got Nash in 2004 it seemed like a whole new team? Sure Am are, Marion and others were around before but the identity of the team changed, that's what I'm talking about. Its time to close the door on the terrific Nash era and start building for tomorrow.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

good lord.

lol. you're right... you're complete and utter misunderstanding of basic basketball conversation and inability to just say my bad isn't setting a precedent at all.

Wow, cheesebeef personally attacking me again? I guess things just stay the same...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Remember how when the Suns got Nash in 2004 it seemed like a whole new team? Sure Am are, Marion and others were around before but the identity of the team changed, that's what I'm talking about. Its time to close the door on the terrific Nash era and start building for tomorrow.

On this we agree on, so again, apologies for taking what you wrote so literally. No apologies to cheesebeef and his sophomoric attacks though.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be against giving up Dudley unless its for something we could not refuse. Dudley is the exact kind of player you need to fill out your roster. He IS the type of player in the past the Suns didn't have coming off an useless bench. If you are going to rebuild this team you have to have players like this so why get rid of one you already have?

If the front office believes that this franchise isn't going anywhere for the next 5 years...I could see purging your roster and start accumulating a ton of draft picks. However, this FO continually talks about retooling (signing big FA) etc. Which by the way is hilarious because all the franchise guys are no longer available IMO.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If the Suns can sign a decent starting FA, then we mtl already have 3/5 ths of the starting lineup in place assuming they keep Gortat and Dudley. Hasn't Nash said he'd be willing to be a part of a sign a trade agreement? Then that brings you another piece to the puzzle

Assuming they'd bring Telfair and Price back and possibly even resign Brooks to a team friendly deal, Your starters could be:

Gortat - C

Dudley - SF

Brooks/Telfair/Price - PG

That leaves you the FA acquisition, the sign and trade, and the draft pick to figure out who'll play most and who you can develop for the future.

Rome wasn't built in a day. This is going to take a while from this point forward. No reason to blow everything up unless you can get lower into the lottery round, while still keeping your own pick, imo. I'd go no higher than the #14-15 area if I'd consider trading Dudley. Maybe you can fetch that with Boston's two picks possibly.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score

good lord.

come on, take it easy beefcheese. :)

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If #18, Wes Johnson were offered for Dudley, should the Suns bite?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake