Trade is Official

TopGamer

Veteran
Reaction score
Knicks Pick Frye and Finally Trade Thomas

By HOWARD BECK
Published: June 29, 2005

The Knicks embarked on their latest radical makeover last night, drafting a new center and trading one of their stalwarts of the last seven years.

With the eighth pick in the draft, the Knicks selected Channing Frye of Arizona. An hour later, they completed a trade that sent Kurt Thomas, their best rebounder and interior defender, to the Phoenix Suns.

The Knicks received the swingman Quentin Richardson and the rights to the point guard Nate Robinson, who was taken with the 21st pick by the Suns. Phoenix also received the Knicks' second-round pick, the 54th selection over all.

An equal cheer greeted the news of the Thomas-Richardson trade, a widely anticipated deal that had been in the works for about a week. It was held up because of insurance issues related to a back injury Richardson sustained in 2004.

The insurance issue was never resolved, but the Knicks elected to make the trade anyway, with the Suns offsetting the risk by putting the 21st pick in the deal. Under original terms of the deal, the Knicks would have received a future first-round pick, which likely would have been much lower.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/29/sports/basketball/29knicks.html

Last edited:

Qmiles23

Rookie
Reaction score
what im sad about is i thought we would be watching lil nate bounce all around. hes so damn exciting. then we trade my 2nd fave playa Q to the knicks along with lil nate for this old **** kurt ****ing thomas

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So if we needed to use the 21 to make up for the lack of insurance on Q, the Q signing last year was bad and BC should have to give back his Exec of the Year Award.

If Q's back is not an issue and BC got strong-armed by Isaiah to include the pick, BC should have to give back his Exec of the Year Award.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would love to see the front office say there was nobody they liked at the 21st spot. And, then saying they are excited about there selection at 54.

asudevil83

Reaction score
tobiazz said:
I would love to see the front office say there was nobody they liked at the 21st spot. And, then saying they are excited about there selection at 54.

just looking at what we could have had with the #21 pick or even trading it for two early second rounders makes me sick to my stomach....especially since we were conned into giving it up for nothing.

IMO, Q for Thomas was completely fair....but we gave up a pick in a deep draft because we flinched.

i woke up this morning with the HIGHEST hopes in the bright possibilities for this team. i though today was the first step in us deepening that THIN bench we have. instead we took a HUGE step backwards and have to PRAY for a bit of fortune.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
just looking at what we could have had with the #21 pick or even trading it for two early second rounders makes me sick to my stomach....especially since we were conned into giving it up for nothing.

IMO, Q for Thomas was completely fair....but we gave up a pick in a deep draft because we flinched.

We were giving them a first rounder before this insurance policy debacle occured. It was just conditional 1st rounder for the near future

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
We were giving them a first rounder before this insurance policy debacle occured. It was just conditional 1st rounder for the near future

Our next year first rounder will not hold a candle to Nate Robinson, or someone we could have taken at 21 this year.

VinceBlack

Reaction score
I posted this somewhere else, but I fear that we may have gotten worse unless something else transpires in the future.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Suns will resign JJ and NOT trade Shawn Marion--BC's job will depend on it. And you gotta hope Sarver sees it the same way.

Arby

Rookie
Reaction score
Until we hear a suns official tell us this deal is complete, I'm not gonna believe anything.

It sure is ironic that the Suns absolutely loved Robinson in his workouts, then picked him and took some criticism for picking him so early, only to ship him to New York. It's also odd that the Knicks also loved this guy so much that they reached for him as well at #21 when there were other "safer" picks left on the board.

This whole transaction doesn't add up, I need BC to explain all this. Mabey he does have more up his sleeve...at least I hope he does.