Trade Johnson and package him for anything?

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Here's an idea. It may sound foolish, but just go with me on this....

We trade Johnson + Mantei for any prospects. We don't need Dallas McPherson type stuff. We just need some guys who can be some decent ballplayers. Note: This is if we can't get top notch stuff.

We must trade RJ. And to get rid of him we can package in Mantei.

This can save us a lot of money in the future. (24 Million percisely). We can then pursue a Free Agent such as Carlos Beltran.

With Beltran, Finley (We Trade then Sign him), and Gonzalez in the outfield, that's deadly.

Then we resign Richie. Trade Bautista to Texas or someone who can give us some prospects.

We then sign some nice veteran pitchers who can make a difference in teaching the youngun's how to pitch at the Major league level.

This would be our "Predicited" lineup in a few years.

C- Hammock/Ansman - Good duo of young catchers that can handle a staff very well.

1B - Sexson - Great Power. I think he'll come back better than ever.

2B - Hairston - He's a great all around ballplayer. 5 Tool player. Next 30+ Homer guy for the DBacks in my opinion

3B - Hillenbrand - This guy is so underrated it's sad. He gives 110% and is only crtiqued. Lay off the guy. He plays metorcre defense, so what. He's got a nice bat, and is a great 6 or 7 hole guy.

SS - Cintron - This guy is one of my favorite guys to watch. He can hit a homer or he can play small ball. BB made a bad move on sitting him.

LF - Gonzo - What's there to say? .300 hitter, 30 homers...

CF - Beltran - 5 Tool. Most underrated player in the AL?

RF - Finley - In a 18 year olds body, with a 50 year old coaches mind. He'll be a contributor to the DBacks till he's 45.

Then the dreaded pitching staff....

Starters:

1- Webb - He's been dissapointing so far this season. But look at his run support. He's got great movement, just needs a little work

2- FA Veteran - A Kenny Rogers type player would fit in perfectly.

3- Dessens - I love Dessens, if used right. Have him go 5 innings per start and he'll go 15-3 I bet.

4- Good - He'll make a decent 4 or 5 starter. Keep in mind this is 1-2 years from now. I think he'll be a great 4-5 guy.

5- E. Gonzalez - He's an ace. He's just not ready yet. 1-2 years and this guys Pedro. See Fossums desciption too.

Bullpen

CL- Valverde - C'mon the Guys the next Gagne. I love his energy and arm.

SU- Koplove - This guys good enough to be a CL but he'll make an awesome SU man.

1- Villareal - Good pitcher, but was VERY overused.

2- Randolph - Nice lefty in the bullpen

We'll thats what I think of this team. If we can build up the farm system and $ in the FA Spending department, we can be back in the playoffs in 1-2 years.

Just my hopes.

- Phill

Djaughe

Reaction score
Nice start...I'm not sold on cintron though...any ball player that has the same name of a country singer kinda wierds me out too.

OP
OP
Phill11

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
abomb said:
Are you sure Mantei's contract is up after this season? I was looking around on the web today and it appears it expires this season.

More info here

http://dugoutdollars.blogspot.com/2003_08_17_dugoutdollars_archive.html

A-Bomb

Is it up after this season? Hm. Now that I think of it is. But it'd be nice to just throw him in...

Djaughe said:
Nice start...I'm not sold on cintron though...any ball player that has the same name of a country singer kinda wierds me out too.

I've liked Cintron since he first came up. He reminds me of a Nomar type player. He can hit .300. He can drive in runs and hit a few homers. Is he the caliber player of Nomar? No. But he can be up there with good SS's.

Djaughe

Reaction score
Phill11 said:
I've liked Cintron since he first came up. He reminds me of a Nomar type player. He can hit .300. He can drive in runs and hit a few homers. Is he the caliber player of Nomar? No. But he can be up there with good SS's.
There I got to disagree with you. Nomar had the skills the day he started playing...whats cintron doing?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
This team would be awful, the pitching would be so pathetic that the added offense would be essentially useless.

Webb - solid, but is not an ace

Good - shown nothing

Dessens - sucks every inning, not just the fifth on

Gonzalez - potential twenty game loser

Valverde - could be a good closer, but we'll see

Koplove - is a situational pitcher for RH hitters, lefties tee off on this bum

Villarial - decent long relief

Randolph - I'm guessing some blind guys can throw more strikes than him

This team would be the 2002 Brewers. No thanks. Trade Johnson and Finley for some guys who will be inexperienced, but talented and go for 2007. There's a reason the DBacks have taken shortstops in the first round of two of the past three drafts. That reason is Cintron's mediocrity.

OP
OP
Phill11

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
This team would be awful, the pitching would be so pathetic that the added offense would be essentially useless.

This team would be the 2002 Brewers. No thanks. Trade Johnson and Finley for some guys who will be inexperienced, but talented and go for 2007. There's a reason the DBacks have taken shortstops in the first round of two of the past three drafts. That reason is Cintron's mediocrity.

Edgar Gonzalez is a great pitcher. He just needs to get comfortable at the Major league level.

This team, if we have the money, we should add a few good guys in the rotation.

Also. I don't think we're going to get as much as you think for Johnson and Finley. Finley is worthless after this season. So he's good for a few months. Johnson is nearing the end of his career and will give you a good 1-3 years.

Djaughe said:
There I got to disagree with you. Nomar had the skills the day he started playing...whats cintron doing?

Cintron isn't a Nomar type Caliber player. I said that. But he reminds me of Nomar in many ways. He can drive in runs, score runs, hit a few homers, and play decent defense.

I wasn't saying Cintron is the next Nomar. But he can be up their with top SS's, I think.

Cintrons done great this year, when given the oppurtunity.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C Chris Snyder/Robbie Hammock/Craig Ansman
1B Richie Sexson/Jamie D'Antona
2B Scott Hairston/Matt Kata
SS Stephen Drew/Alex Cintron/Jerry Gil
3B Sergio Santos/Chad Tracy
LF Conor Jackson
CF Luis Terrero/Josh Kroeger
RF Carlos Quentin/Josh Kroeger/Jon Zeringue

SP
1 FA
2 Webb
3 FA
4 Cormier
5 Gonzalez

RP
Some FA
Villarreal
Fossum
Lyon
Koplove
Valverde
Bruney
Good

Not on team:
Dessens
Luis Gonzalez (Conor Jackson is good and will be cheap)
Juan Brito
Shea Hillenbrand
Steve Finley (retired)

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
He's had limited playing time. What are his stats when he plays everyday?
He does play everyday!!! He's played in every game this year but 5 . Do you even know what you're talking about?

OP
OP
Phill11

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
nm132 said:
C Chris Snyder/Robbie Hammock/Craig Ansman
1B Richie Sexson/Jamie D'Antona
2B Scott Hairston/Matt Kata
SS Stephen Drew/Alex Cintron/Jerry Gil
3B Sergio Santos/Chad Tracy
LF Conor Jackson
CF Luis Terrero/Josh Kroeger
RF Carlos Quentin/Josh Kroeger/Jon Zeringue

SP
1 FA
2 Webb
3 FA
4 Cormier
5 Gonzalez

RP
Some FA
Villarreal
Fossum
Lyon
Koplove
Valverde
Bruney
Good

Not on team:
Dessens
Luis Gonzalez (Conor Jackson is good and will be cheap)
Juan Brito
Shea Hillenbrand
Steve Finley (retired)

That's a team 4-5 years from now. It does look good though. :thumbup:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What makes anyone think Sexson will be tripping over himself to re-sign here after the Dbacks bail Finley, Johnson?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phill11 (didnt want to quote it because it is so long) -- Heres a few minor problems I see in your plan. First of all, the Yankees are going to outbid every team for the services of Beltran. Second, your pitching staff is very weak (even for a year or two down the road). I would not be banking on Webb being a dominating ace (I like him as an awesome #2 guy), Cormier, Good, and Gonzalez all turning to be solid major league pitchers. They all have a chance, but I wouldnt be betting on all three to do so. And Dessens is obviously not a #3 pitcher. Also, Hammock's injuries have raised the question -- is he durable enough to be an everyday catcher? Plus, Finley has been playing CF for the last decade, dont expect him to move to RF anytime soon. However, the great thing Im liking about your setup here is that you arent willing to blow up all of the current team, and I think that is very important.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Phil, I don't even know where to start here, your team is horrendous. Hammock sucks. Only one pitcher on the staff (RJ) will actually let him catch them. After having mild success offensively last year, he is batting .213. He is losing PT to JUAN BRITO!!! JUAN FRICKING BRITO, Mr. .176!!!! At least Brito can play defense. Why do you think the D-backs have catching prospects at the top of their list? These scrubs make Barajas look good.

Sexson come back better than ever? Unlikely, especially after his surgery. Most players take around 2 yrs to fully heal from the injury, and it has hampered many careers, including Shawn Green, who was a damn good hitter before it.

Cintron? Yeah, he played well last year, but nobody would say that he has been anything less than a disappointment this year. The jury is still out on him, but there is a reason that the d-backs drafted Steven Drew, and it ain't because of Alex's stellar play. Can hit "a" homer is the operative term. He has three this year.

Gonzo - .300, 30 homers? Are you kidding me? Do you think he will ever approach these numbers again? Gonzo's contract is killing the team, giving him 10 million for being a good guy, and being underpaid for a few years was a big mistake. His defense is laughably bad, with runners challenging his noodle arm going from first to third on balls hit to left field. I understand that he is injured, but healthy, he is a shell of his former self, and undoubtedly not worth 10 mil.

Elmer- I like Elmer in a setup role, but 15-3? You are a little young to be smoking Phil.

Edgar Gonzalez- Have you ever actually seen Edgar pitch? An ace? That is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever seen made, before you compared him to Pedro. I don't think I've seen a game where Edgar didn't get absolutely shelled. In the two games he's pitched this year, he's been chased after 4 innings with 6 earned runs each time. I saw this guy in person against Houston, I understand he is young, but his velocity is terrible, 90,91 tops, and he leaves it high time after time. Giving up 6 runs was lucky; he could have given up about 40 in that game. In my wildest dreams, the best I expect of him is a fifth starter.

This team has a major identity crisis; it still is trying to decide between their pipe dreams of contending with the geriatric squad, and starting over. With many good young prospects, like Conor Jackson, Terrero, Drew, and others, plus some ability on the major league level, with Hariston and Tracy, there is some hope with this team. Unfortunately, Trader Joe forgot what got him his ring, and stopped focusing on good pitching. Competely idiotic. We need to build up our pitching more than anything, and that is much more important than blowing money on Sexson or Beltran, who will get a ridiculous Boras contract.

OP
OP
Phill11

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
What makes anyone think Sexson will be tripping over himself to re-sign here after the Dbacks bail Finley, Johnson?

Sexson seems like he's really getting eaten inside for the way the team traded for him and then he got injured.

He wants to prove himself here.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Phil...nice thoughts on your write-up, but you have some problems. Cintron needs to be sat and sat for a long time. His mind is not in the game and he does play everyday!!! His fielding is much like Durazos. He must have ADD (attention deficit disorder). He has a nice grin when he fouls up. I am also not sold on Hairston. I wish they would play Alomar more often ...the guy can hit when he plays a full game. Pinch hitting doesn't count if it lowers your batting average in this case.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
Sexson seems like he's really getting eaten inside for the way the team traded for him and then he got injured.

He wants to prove himself here.

I disagree. He will want to play for a winner. He owes the Dbacks nothing. MAYBE he will sign a one year deal just to "make good" for them but once this team is fully dismantled out from under him, he will be gone as well. JMHO.

He will be part of the fallout after Johnson and Finley are dealt...if they are.