'Trade looks more like Surrender'

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/0106bickley0106.html

The Arizona Republic
Jan. 6, 2004 12:00 AM

This wasn't a blockbuster trade. This was a hope-buster trade.

This was further proof that players come, players go and the Suns' only constant is panic.

Bryan Colangelo, the trigger-happy general manager, simply gave away his best player on Monday, pawning off his only star in a league where stars run the show. After selling us a new future, a new buzz and a new Stephon Marbury, the Suns ripped up the blueprint after 34 games.

That is shameful, shortsighted and has shaken the faith in this team's future.

There are only two conclusions why this decision was reached, and they're both about money. They couldn't resist unloading the 2 1/2 years left on Penny Hardaway's Hindenburg contract; and Jerry Colangelo couldn't handle paying up to $10 million in luxury taxes for a season that is circling the drain.

But for father Colangelo, this sets a land speed record for quitting on a season. Didn't one of his teams make the playoffs after a 0-13 start? Right. In 1997, which seems like five rebuilding efforts ago.

This instantly turned all of our professional teams into one giant rebuilding project, and the timing is absolutely bizarre.

Marbury had rounded off his rough edges and was beginning to deeply resonate with the fans. He was starting to seem like equal value for Jason Kidd, only younger and far more entertaining. He was also the only one outside of Amare Stoudemire with enough fortitude to perform in the fourth quarter.

Apparently, the Colangelos felt this way, too. They not only gave Marbury a four-year contract extension worth up to $80 million in October, they planned the announcement for the day the Nets were in town for a basketball game. As in, "Take that, Jason."

That was also the day father Colangelo gushed over Marbury's development by saying, "It's a belief on our part that he will play a very significant role in helping us achieve our mutual dream, which is winning an NBA championship."

To toss it away now, when the return of Stoudemire and Zarko Cabarkapa would've still given this team a shot at the No. 8 spot in the West, tells you about the gloomy financial picture at America West Arena.

Yes, the team has gone flat and the buzz never materialized from last year's postseason run. Neither did the walk-up customers that make a dinner of hot dogs and beer.

Still, the Suns won't give their fans a chance to grow with their teams or their players, and before Monday's trade, the Suns had uniformed a staggering 78 players in eight years. With that kind of revolving door, you wonder whether the younger Colangelo is getting paid by the trade.

The father's son has shown a deft touch in recent years. He could've been GM of the year in 2002-03. His recent drafts have been spectacular. But this? Trading a 27-year-old superstar on the rise when he could've been a foundation piece for that long-awaited championship?

This rivals the peddling of Curt Schilling for most lopsided acquisition of the year - and both were authorized by the same owner.

I know. Maciej Lampe is going to be a good player. Milos Vujanic is one of the best point guards in Europe, so good that he blew off the Knicks to stay in Europe this season. And with a potential $10 million in cap room next season, the Suns can sign Kobe Bryant, because I'm sure he'll leave Hollywood for Phoenix and a $5 million pay cut.

Of course, the Suns also recovered Antonio McDyess, who started this mad carousel in the first place. When McDyess turned his back on the Suns a few years back, it set into motion a chain of events that made Tom Gugliotta the highest-paid chair-sitter in history.

Ever since, the Suns have been like a dog chasing its tail. And this trade sounded painfully familiar.

Woof. Woof.

I agree with what he says about not allowing the fans to grow with the team. Great teams are built on stable grounds. This is a continual 'bust up and start over' team. When do we settle with something and try and move forward?

I'm on fence with this deal after i've had time to think about it. It's very disappointing that this team was never able to actually have a good run on the court together.

I just hope that from this, comes a foundation, a SOLID foundation which can be built for years to come and something that the fans can inbrace and identify with, something we can have faith in, that won't be bust'ed up at the first speed hump.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
What makes him think the Suns are done making moves?? He judges this on the initial stage only. Let him judge after the season and offseason is over and say his token piece then. He's like "Kobe wont take a paycut to come here" when Suns most likely arnt done dumping salary and will have more to offer Kobe.

This reporter is a shortsighted goof thats calling the Colangelos short sighted...go figure

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Although the article is pretty dead on (only at this instant in time as creed pointed out) I have to ask.......

Is Dan Bickley even a suns fan? Does he enjoy writing about this team? I mean at least Bob Young pretends to like the Suns.

He reminds me of the reporter in "Any Given Sunday", you know, the jackass who Al Pacino punches in the face when he won't shut up.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the problems is that he assumes that Kobe Bryant is the goal. What if the steel has nothing to do with Kobe Bryant as I suspect?

Joe Mama

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I turned on CNN just now and literally JUST heard the News. Its HUGE!

But in no way was my first thought "We can go after Kobe Bryant now!" It was "Holy Crap we had to lose Marbs to shed Penny."

We also get more young players, a ton of cap space, and at 10 games below .500 and in last place in the west, my initial reaction, other than shock is that this is OK.

Havent read other reaction, but I bet there a lot of pissed Suns fans this morning.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bickley is nothing but a local sports basher.

He is a chicago native who moved to Phoenix and hates all their team.

He is just a Gambo clone.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chris_Sanders
Bickley is nothing but a local sports basher.

He is a chicago native who moved to Phoenix and hates all their team.

He is just a Gambo clone.

And now he will be on Xtra Sports in the mornings...kill me now.

Mike

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike,

Leave the darkside man.

Come to KDUS. :D

NDSunsfan

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by thegrahamcrackr
Although the article is pretty dead on (only at this instant in time as creed pointed out) I have to ask.......

Is Dan Bickley even a suns fan? Does he enjoy writing about this team? I mean at least Bob Young pretends to like the Suns.

He reminds me of the reporter in "Any Given Sunday", you know, the jackass who Al Pacino punches in the face when he won't shut up.

Is he supposed to be a fan? I know nothing about him, other than the rare article I read online, but I would rather the guy writing about the local team not be a homer. Just my opinion.

I agree with everything in the article. Granted things might change, but that's part of the problem--we as fans are left hoping that the Suns will make another move. We as fans are just thinking about what might be........

Plus, the assumption is that the cap space is being cleared in order to go after somebody (kobe, tmac, etc...). Why do we think that???? Maybe they're just looking to save money. Period.

I don't get it.

At the very best. The Suns are going to try to find a player (through the trade, draft picks, cap space) that ends up being one of the best players in the league. A real superstar. Didn't they just have one of those? Oh, yeah, they traded him for cap space........

I posted yesterday that the Suns were beginning to look like the Clippers. Get some good young guys, tell the fans they're going to build a future with them, struggle, then clean house. They are a laughingstock. How far are the Suns from that?

Brad

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
AS far as wondering what might be, I dont get that line of thinking. As I look at 12-23, Im wondering what might have been. We werent looking like a very good team before Amare and Zarko went down either, so I dont wanna hear about it.

We now have one of the most successful Euro coaches of all time on the bench, a stockpile of young potential ridden euro and overseas players, players who we all know generally play the game with more skill and are less reliant on pure athleticism.

We also havea team without a legit superstar. So what? I dont believe that Marbury was going to be the superstar to lead us to the promised land anyhow.

Sure I can understnad the desire for some consistency and some patience, but I agree with Joe Mama, when confronted with the ENORMOUS future ramifications of this deal, I dont think the C's could say no to this.

I dont think for one second they were looking to trade Steph, I think Isaiah started calling and kept throwing more and mroe into the pot until it reeached a point that there was just no way to say no. Its most certainly a business move first, but there are HUGE future basketball implications as well.

A sad day for SUns fans as Elindholm offers? Sure. But only in that we lose a great player and bunch of crap otherwise. But we get hope. And that more than I had with this team this year anyhow.

scotsman13

Reaction score
chris and mike, it could be worst. you could be in utah with no suns radio at all. heck i spend a 160 just to watch the suns this year and now i get the joy of watching barbosa develop over watching a team that i had hoped would be moving deeper into the playoffs.

NDSunsfan

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by scotsman13
chris and mike, it could be worst. you could be in utah with no suns radio at all. heck i spend a 160 just to watch the suns this year and now i get the joy of watching barbosa develop over watching a team that i had hoped would be moving deeper into the playoffs.

amen, brother.

and i thought the suns were tough to watch at times earlier in the season. last night's game was literally painful to watch. it started in my eyes, and moved down to my heart.

oh, yeah, i do have lots of hope. loads and loads of hope. yippee.:rolleyes:

Brad

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chris_Sanders
Mike,

Leave the darkside man.

Come to KDUS. :D

I like Tony Bruno though...he's a good guy. Bummed that he wont be on anymore.

Mike

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Originally posted by NDSunsfan
last night's game was literally painful to watch. it started in my eyes, and moved down to my heart.

Brad

I know what you mean.:(

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NDSunsfan
amen, brother.

and i thought the suns were tough to watch at times earlier in the season. last night's game was literally painful to watch. it started in my eyes, and moved down to my heart.

Brad

Actually, beyond the horrible start it was far less painful to watch than the game Sunday against Toronto. Keep in mind also that the suns didn't even have the players for whom they had traded. For gods sake, Tom Gugliotta played a bunch of minutes.

If all the Phoenix Suns had to build on Wednesday eight players on the active roster last night I would be questioning how much help this team really has also. That's just not the case though.

Joe Mama

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
jeez, after the first quarter, the guys settled down and plzyed pretty good. They were short handed, and played their butts off. They were on the verge of winning that game untill they ran out of gas and couldnt hit a shot.

Say what you want but Barbosa did just fine filling in for Marbury, without dominating the ball.

When we get healthy, I think this team might be better than they were this year. The suns might have realized we need size to win.

C: Lampe
PF:Amare/McDyess
SF:Marion/Zarko
SG:JJ
PG:Barbosa

or

C: Amare
PF:McDyess
SF:Zarko
SG:Marion
PG:Barbosa

Now were thin in the Guards spots instead of the Power spots...