Trade Proposal: ILB Arthur Brown

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The Arizona Cardinals trade DE Matt Shaughnessy to the Baltimore Ravens for ILB Arthur Brown.

Why it make sense for the Cardinals:

Adding speed at WILB is a glaring need, especially with the health of Sean Weatherspoon in question. The Cardinals have good depth on the defensive line, but are lacking at ILB. Brown has had 12 tackles (leads Ravens) and a sack this far in the pre-season.

Why it makes sense for the Ravens:

John Harbaugh has been concerned about his team's sluggish performance stopping the run and getting a run stuffer like Shaughnessy can help address that need. The Ravens are very deep at ILB, which is why Brown hasn't gotten much playing time his first two years.

Here's an article on Brown that was printed before training camp:

When Arthur Brown was drafted in the second round by the Ravens two years ago, he arrived with considerable expectations and hype as many draft analysts had compared the undersized linebacker to legendary retired middle linebacker Ray Lewis.

It was ultimately far too much for Brown to live up to as he struggled to get on the field in his first two NFL seasons, recording just 15 tackles and 18 career games with zero tackles last season season in four games.

Now, Brown, 24, is trying to jump-start his NFL career heading into his third season. He's bulked up to roughly 242 pounds after playing his first few seasons between 227 and 232 pounds.

The former Kansas State All-American and Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year is also diagnosing and reacting to plays faster. Whether that translates into more playing time remains to be seen, but Ravens defensive coordinator Dean Pees has identified a lot of progress from Brown.

“I think A.B. has taken a big step forward," Pees said. "I think he’s feeling a little more comfortable with the defense. He has always been fast; he has always been a tough guy. His problem has always been, maybe, a little bit of thinking what was going on and sometimes that would make him slow to react.

"If he knows, he’s plenty fast. He’s a very fast linebacker. He has taken a big step forward, as far as understanding the defense and what he has to do.”

Brown remains behind Pro Bowl inside linebacker C.J. Mosley and middle linebacker Daryl Smith on the depth chart, though. He does seem to be on the track to contribute more on special teams this year and possibly as a defensive reserve if called upon.

Brown didn't look hesitant this spring and was more instinctive. The extra weight didn't seem to slow him down at all.

"I'm getting bigger," Brown said. "I put on some weight and I'm maintaining it right now. I do feel good moving around. It's about keeping it on.

"I ate consistently, nothing outside of my regular diet, just very consistent throughout the offseason. I'm getting older. I've been putting on that grown-man weight."

At Kansas State, Brown had 201 tackles, 16.5 for losses, three sacks and three interceptions in two seasons after transferring from the University of Miami. Special teams is likely his quickest path onto the field this season.

"That's definitely one of my main roles and main focuses," Brown said. "That's how I need to make it on the field is in that phase of the game."

[email protected]

twitter.com/RavensInsider

In my opinion, Brown's speed, quickness to the ball, chase ability and coverage talent would make him an instant fit in AZ at WILB.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, I was actually discussing this with a friend of mine about a week ago. Same player(Arthur) & everything.

Nice write up, Mitch.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Who's Green Bay got at ILB? They need a speedster WR now and we have them in spades.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Shaughnessy is getting 1st team reps. Seems like the cards will really need him this season.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Aren't you forgetting 2nd year up and comer Devante Adams? He was fantastic in the post-season last year.

Jeff Janis?

Oh, their website has 2 WR positions. I missed that. I thought that first group seemed a little light. The group led by Jordy Nelson has Davante Adams and Jeff Janis. Jimmie Hunt and Larry Pinkard also listed.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Aren't you forgetting 2nd year up and comer Devante Adams? He was fantastic in the post-season last year.

Jeff Janis?

Exactly! That unit is still pretty darn good, especially when you've got the best QB in the NFL throwing the Rock.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back to the OP, make it happen Mitch. My concern is that his own coach basically said that Brown takes time to learn the system which is why he plays slow at times. Ravens run a 3-4 but how different are the schemes and how much new info will Brown need to learn.

Having said that I think it's a great idea. Shaughnessy is on the last year of his contract, what is Brown's status? Do we need to sweeten the pot a bit? Throw in a WR?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Back to the OP, make it happen Mitch. My concern is that his own coach basically said that Brown takes time to learn the system which is why he plays slow at times. Ravens run a 3-4 but how different are the schemes and how much new info will Brown need to learn.

Having said that I think it's a great idea. Shaughnessy is on the last year of his contract, what is Brown's status? Do we need to sweeten the pot a bit? Throw in a WR?

Brown has two years left on his rookie contract---at $840K. I think he is a better fit in our 34 than B'more's. They have 4 guys ahead of him at ILB, although his good TC might help him move up a little or he still might get dealt. Basically, when they drafted C.J. Mosley in the first round last year, and re-signed Daryl Smith to an extension, AB was relegated to staying a backup. Since then, ST aces Jach Orr and Albert McClellan (the top 2 ST tacklers) have been listed ahead of AB. They both play ILB.

I think John Harbaugh would be happy to help AZ now that his brother was canned in SF. But, I also think he needs another run stuffer at DE.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
While we're at it, let's send next years #3 to the Bucs for Glennon! He's throwing darts & I see good things for his future...a perfect fit for BAs offense imo.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brown has two years left on his rookie contract---at $840K. I think he is a better fit in our 34 than B'more's. They have 4 guys ahead of him at ILB, although his good TC might help him move up a little or he still might get dealt. Basically, when they drafted C.J. Mosley in the first round last year, and re-signed Daryl Smith to an extension, AB was relegated to staying a backup. Since then, ST aces Jach Orr and Albert McClellan (the top 2 ST tacklers) have been listed ahead of AB. They both play ILB.

I think John Harbaugh would be happy to help AZ now that his brother was canned in SF. But, I also think he needs another run stuffer at DE.

Thanks for all the info and I'm very intrigued and hopeful this could happen.

Do you think we can pull the trade off even up or do we need to sweeten the pot?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info and I'm very intrigued and hopeful this could happen.

Do you think we can pull the trade off even up or do we need to sweeten the pot?

I think Shaughnessy straight up for AB could do it. It wouldn't surprise me though if Harbaugh would prefer Josh Mauro or Ed Stinson and a late draft pick. I really like Mauro and I hope we don't have to part with him.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Shaughnessy straight up for AB could do it. It wouldn't surprise me though if Harbaugh would prefer Josh Mauro or Ed Stinson and a late draft pick. I really like Mauro and I hope we don't have to part with him.

I doubt we will be able to keep all three so whatever gets the deal done is fine by me. I guess I would prefer Shaughnessy getting traded because he is on the last year of this contract and is older.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05