Tradedown Fans this one is for you.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The tradedown with the NYG is a no-brainer.
At this point I would consider taking a 5th rounder or 5th/6th. NYG is not interested in Fitz. So he drops to the Card anyway and they get him.

Now if Fitz is there at #3 I think you take him if you trade down to #7 I don't think he makes it down that far for some reason if only you could be sure he would. That is a huge risk.

Would WAS and DET pass on Fitz and take Taylor and Winslow and leave Fitz? DET took a WR #1 and signed Tai Streets. WAS traded for Thrash and have a couple WRs. Maybe Winslow scares them off. One of those two teams will take Taylor.

It would be brilliant to trade down to #7 and still get Fitz. The risk would be you wind up wih Mike or Roy if Fitz doesn't make it. Or maybe Taylor instead of those 2 WRs though I doubt it. The other problem is WAS and DET might be open to trade with someone like JAX who would want Fitz and might trade up ahead of the Cards to get him. So that risk is also there.

The problem is the Cards have so many holes and question marks that it's hard to fill them all up. Maybe the best thing is just to be patient. Take your picks where they fall and tough it. Don't try and do it all in one draft accept the fact it will take a couple drafts to get to being a winner.

So many possibilities...

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I Hate The Redskins!!

BUT I did read that they have talked to OAK. about moving up. Granted. "rumors" are flying everywhere BUT if they do plan to move, who have they targeted?? I hope it's not Fitz'. GO CARDS!!

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
NeverSayDieFan said:
BUT I did read that they have talked to OAK. about moving up. Granted. "rumors" are flying everywhere BUT if they do plan to move, who have they targeted?? I hope it's not Fitz'. GO CARDS!!

The Redskins already have Coles and Gardner I don't see them taking Fitz at all.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I've heard that the Giants moving to the first spot for Manning is about a done deal.

Considering they don't do that, their other choice would be Gallery. If Manning and Fitz go 1 and 2, like they should that leaves Gallery at 3, and a trade occurs, with either the Giants or Clevland. Whoever offers the best picks.

The other senario is that Manning and Gallery go 1 and 2, then there are no trades (for us), because Green has got his guy. OAKLAND will then trade (Gallery) down and take R. Williams, which is what I predict will happen.

Chargers/Giants wind up with Manning, Oakland gets R. Williams, Cards get Fitz, Clevland gets Gallery, Chargers tading down get Winslow Jr., Wash takes S. Taylor, Det. (will trade pick) to Oak then takes R. Williams, Det. switching with Oak takes S. Jackson and Oak's 4th/6th., Atl. takes M. Williams, Jax. takes Hall, Hou. takes Udeze. Thats my draft day top 10.

Of course thats a lot of ifs for Oakland, if they really want R. Williams badly, they might just have to take him 2nd overall. That leaves us with Fitz also, and a hard decision concerning a trade down w/ the Browns, because the Giants have already traded for #1 in my opinion. I know what I would do, but thats a tough call. I'm positive Green will take his guy there.

OP
OP
V

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
The Redskins already have Coles and Gardner I don't see them taking Fitz at all.

#1 SD might take Fitz/non-Fitz/tradedown
#2 OAK might take Fitz/non-Fitz/tradedown

If these two teams trade down or don't take Fitz
well then Fitz falls to #3, but the Cards can still trade down and can get Fitz!

#3 ARI trade down with CLE. CLE Gallery/Eli.

#4 NYG Would They Take Fitz IF Gallery is gone?
If CLE lets Eli drop they probably take Eli what about if Eli and Gallery gone who would NYG take Ben? I am scared of them taking Fitz. They don't need Winslow.

#5 WAS they won't take a WR good point they will take Taylor or Winslow (they have Jacobs Coles Gardener Thrash)

#6 DET they won't take WR (they have Rogers and Tai) so they take the Winslow/Taylor leftover.

HOWEVER both DET and WAS could trade down with a team like JAX who would take FITZ.

#7 ARI they take Fitz if he makes it to here, but can they risk it? Would M or R Williams be a good consolation prize? Will it come down to taking Winslow I doubt Taylor is here.

OP
OP
V

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
-QUOTE: I've heard that the Giants moving to the first spot for Manning is about a done deal.
-RESPONSE: If SD is trading out of #1 they will have to do it pretty quick so that the team they are trading with (NYG or whoever) can start negotations.

-QUOTE: Considering they don't do that, their other choice would be Gallery. If Manning and Fitz go 1 and 2, like they should that leaves Gallery at 3, and a trade occurs, with either the Giants or Clevland. Whoever offers the best picks.
-RESPONSE: Yes if Fitz is gone. And DG feels there is not much difference between Mike and Roy then trade down cause Mike or Roy one of them will be there at #7 but Taylor will not be. Winslow might be. CLE needs to offer something sweet: second round draft pick is a must and maybe a starter.

-QUOTE: The other senario is that Manning and Gallery go 1 and 2, then there are no trades (for us), because Green has got his guy. OAKLAND will then trade (Gallery) down and take R. Williams, which is what I predict will happen.
Chargers/Giants wind up with Manning, Oakland gets R. Williams, Cards get Fitz, Clevland gets Gallery, Chargers tading down get Winslow Jr., Wash takes S. Taylor, Det. (will trade pick) to Oak then takes R. Williams, Det. switching with Oak takes S. Jackson and Oak's 4th/6th., Atl. takes M. Williams, Jax. takes Hall, Hou. takes Udeze. Thats my draft day top 10.
-RESPONSE: What you just posted there is insanely complicated. (1) This is an interesting idea: OAK trades with NYG and CLE? Who does SD take at number 1? If OAK trades with NYG then NYG takes Eli and then if they trade with CLE they take Gallery and then OAK gets R Williams or whoever with the #7.
(2) If SD trades we can assume it is with NYG and they get the #4 which they will use on FITZ.
If CLE is afraid that SD will take Gallery at #4 then they can trade with ARI (but we would lose FITZ to SD at 4 he wont make it to 7) or they could trade with OAK for Gallery. So NYG drafting #1 take Eli. CLE drafting #2 takes Gallery. ARI drafting #3 takes Fitz. SD drafting #4 takes Roy/Mike or Winslow or Taylor. DET takes Taylor or Winslow. WAS trades down or take Taylor or Winslow or Wilfork or Harris or Udeze. And then finally OAK at #7 and they take BPA on their board.

-QUOTE: Of course thats a lot of ifs for Oakland, if they really want R. Williams badly, they might just have to take him 2nd overall. That leaves us with Fitz also, and a hard decision concerning a trade down w/ the Browns, because the Giants have already traded for #1 in my opinion. I know what I would do, but thats a tough call. I'm positive Green will take his guy there.
-RESPONSE: Well SD or OAK could trade with NYG. That means SD sits at #4 and there is no way I see them pass on Fitz. There is no point in trading with CLE if Gallery drops through and we let CLE take Gallery SD takes Fitz and he will not be there at #7 for the ARI. Now if OAK sits at #4 they might take Fitz or they might not. OAK is hard to peg.

P.S. My whole idea was is there a way for the CARDs to get Fitz at #7? That is a risky move.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If SD is trading out of #1 they will have to do it pretty quick so that the team they are trading with (NYG or whoever) can start negotations.
While this has been a pattern in recent years and, therefore, a "plus", there is nothing written in stone that says a team has to start (let alone complete) negotiations with the #1 pick prior to the draft.

Regarding trade down scenarios -

Right now, the odds favor the Giants trading up for Manning, the Skins trading up to get Gallery and the Cards drafting Fitzgerald.

But if we wanted to trade down to #7 and still get Fitzgerald, several unsure things would have to drop into place.

- SD at #4 would have to pass on Fitzgerald in favor of Roethlisberger,Winslow, Taylor or one of the Williams Trio (possible but no lock).

- Big Al at #5 would have to pass on Fitzgerald in favor of the same group of players.

- And so would Detroit (who'd probably draft Taylor or Winslow).

So we'd have to risk either SD or Oakland grabbing Fitzgerald and we'd lose total control over the process.

We could get lucky (SD could draft Roeth, Oakland could grab Winslow and Detroit could get Taylor) but the risk would be pretty high.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
-QUOTE: I've heard that the Giants moving to the first spot for Manning is about a done deal.
-RESPONSE: If SD is trading out of #1 they will have to do it pretty quick so that the team they are trading with (NYG or whoever) can start negotations.

Article in N. Y. Newsday, April 9,

Message to Kerry
Collins' long-range job status in jeopardy as team tries to move up for Manning

Pursuing No. 1 pick

Should the Giants trade up for the top overall or draft pick or keep their current pick (4th overall)?
Yes, trade up and draft Eli Manning
No, stay put and draft offensive line help

Accorsi, Chargers chat about top pick

BY BOB GLAUBER
STAFF WRITER

April 9, 2004

Now that the Giants are officially interested in trading up for the No. 1 pick in the draft and selecting Mississippi quarterback Eli Manning, Kerry Collins is officially on notice: His days as the Giants' quarterback could be numbered.

A day after Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi confirmed he had reached out to Chargers GM A.J. Smith about the possibility of moving up to the No. 1 spot, Collins said he must prepare himself for the uncertainty of what lies ahead.

"No question," he said yesterday after completing an early-morning offseason workout. "But I think in a situation like this, you put the team first. You don't want to just get through something like this, either. I take pride in the way I play, this organization has treated me very well, and I've still got a lot of fight left in me."

Collins said he doesn't blame the Giants for freezing negotiations on a long-term contract, because it's uncertain what will happen in the draft.

"I think they're just going to wait and see what happens on draft day," Collins said. "If they're not completely sold on me as their quarterback, I would probably do the same thing [by not negotiating a new contract.]"

If the Giants had their way, they'd trade up and take Manning as their quarterback of the future and let Collins play out the final year of his contract and turn the team over to Manning in 2005.

But it's no lock the Giants will take the pick, especially if the Chargers demand a package of draft choices and/or players they believe is too high. Accorsi and Smith did not discuss specific parameters of any deal; Tuesday's phone call was more like a feeling-out process. But the talks doubtless will heat up in the coming days, and the Giants will know then if there's a more realistic chance of moving up.

The Giants also are considering a move up to the third overall pick, now owned by Arizona, with the possibility of selecting Miami (Ohio) quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald or Iowa tackle Robert Gallery. They could also remain at No. 4 and take one of those players, although they will have to consider the possibility of other teams moving up ahead of them. For instance, the Browns are known to covet Gallery and could move up to third.

But there's also a scenario where the Giants could move down to No. 6 and take Roethlisberger if he's still on the board. The Redskins, with the fifth choice, do not need a quarterback, which means the Giants could move to Detroit's No. 6 and still get Roethlisberger.

Giants defensive end Michael Strahan, a long-time Collins loyalist, hopes it doesn't come to that.

"Kerry's a great quarterback," Strahan said. "There's no doubt he's a Super Bowl quarterback. He's proven that by getting us there. I definitely believe he can get us there and win it. He's got a lot of good years left."

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
-QUOTE: The other senario is that Manning and Gallery go 1 and 2, then there are no trades (for us), because Green has got his guy. OAKLAND will then trade (Gallery) down and take R. Williams, which is what I predict will happen.
-RESPONSE: What you just posted there is insanely complicated. (1) This is an interesting idea: OAK trades with NYG and CLE? Who does SD take at number 1? If OAK trades with NYG then NYG takes Eli and then if they trade with CLE they take Gallery and then OAK gets R Williams or whoever with the #7.

What I'm saying here is that Oak. drafts Gallery second with the intention of forcing Clevland to trade up WITH THEM (not AZ) so they can move down to the 7th spot and take R. Williams there. They then swap positions with DEtroit (hopfully) insuring that no other team trades up to Detroits position to secure Williams ahead of their pick. They then wind up with Clevlands 2nd rounder and have two early second rounders and their guy (R. Williams).

Giants trade into 1st position and take Manning.

Chargers trade into 4th position and take Winslow Jr. and Giants 2nd rounder.

Cards wind up with Fitz at 3. There is no Clev./Cards trade because Oak. forced the hand, with the Gallery selection.

I think that is what happens. We will get Fitz after all. For the one second rounder we have to determine whether to go LB, CB, or DT. Whoever falls.

D then becomes priority in the 3rd too. See above.

When do we get an OL who's any good? The Ohio St. center? I've haeard we want a RB in the 4th.

Last edited:

seesred

Reaction score
Unless Green is pulling everyones chain, if Frits is there at three our next pick will be someone in the second round. Giants IMO will move up to number 1 and grab ELI. Oakland might just stay there and take Williams or Winslow and then here we are, if we can scare anyone at this point into wanting to make a move is very small.

Nerxt year its' Fritz, quan and Johnson. Now lets see someone cover these guys!

GBR

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
At this point I would consider taking a 5th rounder or 5th/6th. NYG is not interested in Fitz. So he drops to the Card anyway and they get him.

No.

Arvos

Veteran
Reaction score
Fitz will be a Lion if.......

Fitz will be a Lion if he falls to #6!!!!! I would pee all over myself if that happens. The Lions need a WR, they have Charles Rogers and he will be good but they don't have much else than that. Tai Streets is only signed for one year and Az Hakim may be a June 1st cut. They are woefully in adequate after that. Lions fans are really hoping Roy Williams or Taylor is still around and most likely one of them will be but if Fitz is still around who knows I think Millen goes with Fitz. We still don't have a running back but with Rogers and Fitz or Roy Williams who needs to run the ball. Lions fans do not and I repeat do not want Winslow!

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

Now if Fitz is there at #3 I think you take him if you trade down to #7 I don't think he makes it down that far for some reason if only you could be sure he would. That is a huge risk.

Would WAS and DET pass on Fitz and take Taylor and Winslow and leave Fitz? DET took a WR #1 and signed Tai Streets. WAS traded for Thrash and have a couple WRs. Maybe Winslow scares them off. One of those two teams will take Taylor.

It would be brilliant to trade down to #7 and still get Fitz. The risk would be you wind up wih Mike or Roy if Fitz doesn't make it. Or maybe Taylor instead of those 2 WRs though I doubt it. The other problem is WAS and DET might be open to trade with someone like JAX who would want Fitz and might trade up ahead of the Cards to get him. So that risk is also there.

The problem is the Cards have so many holes and question marks that it's hard to fill them all up. Maybe the best thing is just to be patient. Take your picks where they fall and tough it. Don't try and do it all in one draft accept the fact it will take a couple drafts to get to being a winner.

So many possibilities...

The Cards will not contend this year so be smart be patient and take the best players you can. Two really good players is better than 7 mediocre players. We tried to tap dance last year and out smarted ourselves. Two really good players this year, two really good players next year, a few good off season signings and you may be ready to contend. You cannot do it all in one year especially with what we have to work with including a QB with unknown abilities.