Transition Takes Time

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
There was a lot to build on in today's game---and there's plenty of tape to learn and grow from.

In a way this game seems very symbolic because it was so reminiscent in certain ways of the Super Bowl loss. Fitz scores a big TD to put the team ahead, the defense doesn't get any meaningful pressure on the QB, the secondary misses assignments, tackles and is too loose in coverage and gives up the lead.

So in a way---this is like starting back to where the Cardinals once were---so close.

In that respect, major kudos should go to BA, Carson Palmer and the Cardinals' offense for reminding us of what a very good offense looks like.

No one---save Kurt Warner versus Green Bay---is perfect in this game.

In my opinion, 2 of the 3 sacks that Levi Brown surrendered could have been avoided: sack #2 looked like a hurried snap from Sendlein which gave the Rams a head start on their rush 9the last thing Brown needs)...and sack #3 is on BA (and I am sure he is kicking himself in the butt right now), because you can go empty backfield on 3rds and short (which they did with repeated success), but you can't go empty backfield on 3rd and 8, because the QB and WRs need a couple of extra seconds to get open 9-10 yards down the field.

The good news is---we saw more TE and RB chipping in the 2nd half than we saw at any time over the past few years.

We will see more of it---the next time Levi Brown has a very difficult matchup.

The 3rd and 2 was a brilliant play call (the wheel route to Ellington)...and right in line with BA's attack philosophy. The problem was that it seemed Ellington expected the ball to be thrown a second or two later and could not get a beat to the ball.

What I think we might see next time is BA go for it on 4th and 2. He is that confident and he is not afraid to be aggressive---I mean when have we ever seen a Cardinal team on its own 20 yard line try to pass upfield for a FG try in a tie game with 23 seconds left in the first half?

With BA anything is possible.

As for Jay Feely---the FG miss was disappointing, but a couple of his kickoffs were pitiful esp. seeing as the game was played in a dome.

There likely will be a new kicker this week. It's been in the works for a few weeks.

There won't be a new LT because Nate Potter hasn't done much to prove he deserves a shot and it seems the coaches have ruled out moving Bobbie Massey to the left side---Massey wasn't even active today, which really hurts because he has talent.

It was great to see the Cardinals able to run the ball to the right side for a change. Winston and Fanaika did a good job. Mendenhall was scrappy---so was Smith.

The defense is still in major transition...basically because it looks very clear that there is some significant confusion in coverages and a significant lack of effort and tenacity from the defensive linemen, especially Dockett (who has no business being a captain the way he dogged it today and Campbell, who apparently now is one of the LDEs in a 4 man rush---only he got no pressure from that spot whatsoever.

The inside linebackers, Brinkley and Dansby played very well in my opinion...not perfect but they made a number of good plays.

The secondary is lost and has been for 6 weeks---although other than Mathieu's weird PI on Tavon Austin, at least they weren't getting called for grabbing and clutching.

But then again you can't grab and clutch a wide open receiver, which happened far too many times, especially versus TE Jared Cook---the two worst of which was off an ill-advised last second mass substitution with less than 10 seconds to go in the 4th quarter where the lineman were running around not knowing where to line up and Cook wound up all alone 25 yards down the field---and then in the end zone off play action where the was no Cardinal defender within 7-8 yards of him.

Maybe I am old school, but to me both of those mistakes are totally unacceptable. If my team did that, my DC would be told that if it happens again, he's out as DC. You have to be able to trust your coaches to have the players prepared---if you can't, then you've got the wrong guy.

This Todd Bowles defense is just what the Clancy Pendergast/Bill Davis defenses were: swiss cheese all over the place. Feast or famine.

The offense today is just what the Kurt Warner offense was---a hot QB, highly productive WRs (Andre Roberts was outstanding---Fitz and Floyd too---and Dray had a career game!), but a weak LT who is not given help in key situations by the coaching staff.

The previous coach said he never watched the Super Bowl---well, hopefully this coaching staff will have this game dissected and thoroughly analyzed...and they will help the players learn and grow from it.

The question is---the weaknesses were obvious. Will we see them corrected and improved or will they persist? I think this coaching staff is going to build on the positives and do their best to patch up the leaks.

Transition takes time.

As BA has said he has little patience---so let's see what next week's response is before we jump to further conclusions.

Last edited:

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Nice summary Mitch.Dockett was MIA today.CC wasn`t 100% from what another poster said.Still expect something resembling a pass rush.Cards were not facing Jerry Kramer,John Hannah,Forrest Gregg,Bob Brown and Jim Otto .

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
By virtue of his vested veteran status, Jay Feeley's full 2013 contract is now guaranteed.

We lost by a field goal to a team that will be fortunate to end up 8-8.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
New coaches, new players, new philisophy, an away game east, first meaningful game. Odds were against us this game. I'm happy we were in it till the last minute and weren't blown out.

What you prefer we kept our last regime? I think we needed a change for better or worse.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
1) I just luv how peeps continue to make excuses for Levi's play...it's laughable, but also a broken record that plays repeatedly each September thru December. :D Luv ya Mitch, but I strongly disagree.

2) I agree about Los & Jasper. Great to see ol #58 back making plays on D. Oops sorry #56 pardon the flashbacks

3) yes the secondary is lost. Why does Bowels continue to play mostly man to man & getting torched doing it? Just like preseason, I think this D is in deep doodoo. I'm still not sold on TM as a pass defender because guys continue to catch passes on him, just like preseason

4) I liked the wheel route on 3 & 2 but it appeared the offense was rushed or in flux before the snap. My question is, why use a rook on the biggest play of the game who wasn't used more than handful of plays. :mad:

5) I also agree agree about Dockett...me & fish among others had that same spar earlier his week. IMO being a leader is reserved for dedicated players whom actually perform their roles at a high level. DD hasn't done that in years consistently.

6) given the coaching by a lackluster DC in Bowels, the Cards will probably have to score 30+ to win consistantly just like the Warner days. I still say Bowels scheme is the wrong fit for this team & it's players

Mitch what's your prediction record wise?

Last edited:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree on Dockett & CC. They should refund some of their pay after not showing up today.

I though the third and two call was awful. Only way you do that is if you know you are going for it on fourth down. A quick pass to Fitz, Roberts or Floyd get you the two yards.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
By virtue of his vested veteran status, Jay Feeley's full 2013 contract is now guaranteed.

We lost by a field goal to a team that will be fortunate to end up 8-8.

Yeah, and if Honey Badger doesn't make a miracle play and knock the ball loose from a careless Cook, which ended up being a 14 point swing, and a tipped pass doesn't land in the hands of our new short yardage RB who runs it in for a TD we lose 34-10 or worse.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree on Dockett & CC. They should refund some of their pay after not showing up today.

I though the third and two call was awful. Only way you do that is if you know you are going for it on fourth down. A quick pass to Fitz, Roberts or Floyd get you the two yards.

I thought the 3rd and 2 call was way too cute. It's the type of high risk, high reward play that, if it works, people call Arians a genius for calling a rookie's number.

It wasn't time to screw around. You run your best play to get #11 open on a crossing route or into the flat.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good take Mitch. Thanks. I was waiting to see what you would have to say and I agree with a lot of it.

You did bump my memory about the backs running around not looking like they were ready and it was a big reason why they were able to complete the long pass right before the end of the third quarter. Half of the defense was out of position. That does need to be corrected.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
4) I liked the wheel route on 3 & 2 but it appeared the offense was rushed or in flux before the snap. My question is, why use a rook on the biggest play of the game who wasn't used more than handful of plays. :mad:
I think having him in there on such a big play speaks to the vision they have for him in this offense. The best way to build a guys confidence and bring him along quickly IMO is to give them reps in big situations in games. Obviously I really would have liked to see that play work, but I don't think any of the other active RBs are really suited to run that play the way that Ellington is capable of.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bruce Arians doesnt use transition as an excuse why should we? He says outright this is a win now league and there is no reason it can be accomplished.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Nice analysis, Mitch. I think the final play of the third quarter was the real backbreaker; the defense was probably in relax mode thinking the Rams wouldn't try to get another play off.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah, and if Honey Badger doesn't make a miracle play and knock the ball loose from a careless Cook, which ended up being a 14 point swing, and a tipped pass doesn't land in the hands of our new short yardage RB who runs it in for a TD we lose 34-10 or worse.
Not that there wasn't some luck involved in those plays, but in HB's defense he is known for making those plays so I don't know that I would call it a "miracle". As for the other play (the one by our short yardage RB ;)) those things happen sometimes, it was just a great play by Shaughnessy and a good play by Big Dan to also be in the backfield. Agree that we won't be seeing these things in every game, but they are things that just happen sometimes and thus shouldn't be used to discredit a team being in a game.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
The defense has taken a step backward, that much has been obvious in the pre-season and yesterday. We have three studs in PP21, Calais and Daryl Washington. But we lack a pass rush, struggled in making one-on-one tackles yesterday, and are still being gouged in the running game.

I really believe we are one good left tackle away from having a decent offense. Unfortunately, I think that Left tackle is the most important line position in an offense like B.A.'s.

We're on the right track, but we still need pass rushers, a left tackle, and a safety or three [and a kicker with a strong, accurate leg] to be playing in January IMO.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Not that there wasn't some luck involved in those plays, but in HB's defense he is known for making those plays so I don't know that I would call it a "miracle". As for the other play (the one by our short yardage RB ;)) those things happen sometimes, it was just a great play by Shaughnessy and a good play by Big Dan to also be in the backfield. Agree that we won't be seeing these things in every game, but they are things that just happen sometimes and thus shouldn't be used to discredit a team being in a game.

Especially since those things usually happen TO us, not for us.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We will see more of it---the next time Levi Brown has a very difficult matchup.

As for Jay Feely---the FG miss was disappointing, but a couple of his kickoffs were pitiful esp. seeing as the game was played in a dome.
Brown will have a difficult match-up every week.

I have never really liked Feely and wanted us to bring in Lindell when he was cut by the Bills. We bring in Carpenter instead and he was not that good. Now who is out there?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

.....OK.

But those things didn't happen.

I mean, I could sit here and say if Palmer is on the same page with his receivers on two plays then the Cardinals win the game by two scores.

What happened, happened.

We lost by 3 points.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The team looked as expected on Sunday.

I was pretty happy with the game, relative to what I thought about this club coming into the season.

Levi Brown - He is who he is. Anyone surprised on how that went down yesterday has not been paying attention to Levi Brown. That was the Levi Brown we all know. That is his talent level, and our organization seems fine with his level of play. It is what it is. The Cardinals will have to figure out how to win, and fully accept their QB is going to be blind sided at least 5 times a game, and adapt their game plan to that fact.

Defense - Ray Horton is gone, and so is his scheme. I'd rather win then be right, but there are a good number of people who swore to the heavens that Horton was overrated and his defensive scheme was overrated. Looked like the Cardinals could have used Horton's defense yesterday. But, again, it is what it is. Last year's defense was very special, and this year's defense is going to take a step back. Average safeties, no coverage linebackers, ZERO pass rush, and an overrated defensive line (this was in fact a bit surprising to me) is going to make things difficult for the Cardinals all year.

Those things were apparent in the offseason, and by the end of March when you looked at this team on paper.

BUT, it wasn't all bad, not in the least.

I liked the running game, I liked watching Palmer throw the ball and move it down the field. Our wide receivers are sick, just sick. Even though we had our standard play from Levi Brown, Daryn Colledge, and Lyle Sendlein, there were a lot of plays where our QB had time.

On defense.....they are paying solid as a unit. They will live and die by the turnover this year.

Finally, I will say this:

1. The game was higher scoring then I thought it would be.

2. The game was pretty darn good compared to the circus that was last year. It was a competitive NFL quality game. Baby steps here, ladies and gentlemen, baby steps. I for one will enjoy that we have a NFL team back in Arizona to root for, and not some 2 bit Pee-Wee football team like last year.

I already looking forward to next game.

mrbyte

Be careful what you wish for.
Reaction score
Levi Brown - He is who he is. Anyone surprised on how that went down yesterday has not been paying attention to Levi Brown. That was the Levi Brown we all know. That is his talent level, and our organization seems fine with his level of play. It is what it is. The Cardinals will have to figure out how to win, and fully accept their QB is going to be blind sided at least 5 times a game, and adapt their game plan to that fact.

I beleive I posted this link lastyear to Levis off season work out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Cf-ZxDfZA

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice summary Mitch.Dockett was MIA today.CC wasn`t 100% from what another poster said.Still expect something resembling a pass rush.Cards were not facing Jerry Kramer,John Hannah,Forrest Gregg,Bob Brown and Jim Otto .

They said it on the telecast when they talked to the Cards on Saturday they got the impression CC wouldn't play, I think they said groin but don't quote me.

It was after he made a nice run stop they said it with surprise since he'd not been expected to even play.

Dockett I hope he gets better but he's sort of reached the point where he's getting by on reputation now, doesn't make the impact he used to but talks like he does.

And the LB's were mediocre and the safeties other than Honey Badger were terrible.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
The 3rd and 2 was a brilliant play call (the wheel route to Ellington)...and right in line with BA's attack philosophy. The problem was that it seemed Ellington expected the ball to be thrown a second or two later and could not get a beat to the ball.

[\\Quote]Which is a rookie mistake. Can't expect him to come through in that situation. He wasn't looking for the ball and he should've been. Not sure Palmer would have connected anyway as it seemed like a bad throw as well.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

[\\Quote]Which is a rookie mistake. Can't expect him to come through in that situation. He wasn't looking for the ball and he should've been. Not sure Palmer would have connected anyway as it seemed like a bad throw as well.

Well it appeared to me Palmer got it out early feeling some pressure from his blindside real or imagined. And then ellington tried to find the ball when he realized it was in the air.

I don't think he did anything wrong there the ball just came out early and he had to try and locate it.

We don't have another RB we can throw that ball to, the element of surprise was perfect, just poor execution IMO

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
.....OK.

But those things didn't happen.

I mean, I could sit here and say if Palmer is on the same page with his receivers on two plays then the Cardinals win the game by two scores.

What happened, happened.

We lost by 3 points.

Well that is exactly why I posted that. To counter the posters who were saying we would have won if Feely makes the FG or whatever.

What happened happened right?

We could have lost 42-14 or won 42-14 depending on how things bounce.